So what's the verdict on the cheap Monstrum scope rings?

I bought a few sets over the last couple years, mostly for 10/22s that we use for plinking in the yard. Haven't seen many folks talk about them on here. Maybe out of shame that someone would put a $15 set of rings on a rifle? I've got nice mounts on my hunting rifles but I can't really tell why these are so much cheaper that a $150 set other than CCP labor.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe quality of materials?
Have you lapped them or put scope alignment rods in it?
What did the scopes look like after you took them out of the rings?

Anyone can produce anything these days with the specs, materials, and a good CNC machine.

OP
menhaden_man
Maybe quality of materials?
Have you lapped them or put scope alignment rods in it?
What did the scopes look like after you took them out of the rings?

Anyone can produce anything these days with the specs, materials, and a good CNC machine.
Never lapped them and scopes look clean as a whistle. Supposedly 6061 aircraft aluminum but I’m not educated on how that stacks up against other options.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve had them on various rifles up to 308 with zero issues.
I like the dual recoils myself.

hiker270

WKR
The Pro series is 7075 Aircraft quality aluminium. Sell for $34.95. I have a set on a Tikka 6.5 CM. I see no difference in the quality of these rings compared to some others I have costing 3 times as miuch.

OP
menhaden_man
The Pro series is 7075 Aircraft quality aluminium. Sell for $34.95. I have a set on a Tikka 6.5 CM. I see no difference in the quality of these rings compared to some others I have costing 3 times as miuch.
Assuming the 7075 is better than the 6061?

hiker270

WKR
7075 is used in Aircraft and Missile parts 6061 automotive and bicycle parts. 7075 strength is comparable to many types of steel.

I used a Monstrum scope mount (1 Piece) on an AR and even did a torture test but throwing it, dragging it behind a car, and a few other things. It mounted solid. Stayed solid.

OP
menhaden_man
7075 is used in Aircraft and Missile parts 6061 automotive and bicycle parts. 7075 strength is comparable to many types of steel.
I just looked at the pro 7075, looks like T25 screws too. The T15s and hex on some of the rings I have are garbage.

Darryle

WKR
I ended up with a set somehow, I didn't order them that I do know.

The very first thing I noticed was they would not be true side to side, at the top of the saddle in the bottom half as a set. The scope would bind even without the caps at the top of one bottom but on the opposite side of the other bottom, almost like they were not square with each other. I tried to use my alignment bar and the same thing occurred. It was like they were not machined/matched as a set. I then played with the ring orientation, swapped their location, 0 MOA rings, same issue but reversed as to where the binding occurred. I then spun them 180º and the binding was again reversed. I tried only reversing one ring, the alignment was better, but not perfect. The issue was not improved pushing the rings forward or rearward against the slot either. I did not try to leave the clamps loose and install the scope and caps to see if they would align. I finally settled on just putting them on the rifle, pushing the base as far forward as possible, locking them down and lapping them, way more than I would have expected to achieve a nice stress free saddle for the scope. I then bedded them to that scope, 6x SWFA, and they have been solid. The HD nature of the SWFA scopes, that misalignment probably would not have hurt that brand of scope, but something with a thin tube design, Leupold or Swarovski, would have definitely left ring marks. I sold that rifle to a co-worker and his only complaint after having the rifle about a year were the screws are rusting.

If you are running anything other than a picatinny spec mount, they will not fit because of the dual recoil lug design. I do like the robust nature of them, they are light and they are attractive. The finish on the set I had was not slick, it was physically discernable between them and a set of Seekins, even in a blind test. They do remind me of the Vortex/Seekins rings. I did like the dual recoil lug design, thought it would be easier to square the rings up on the picatinny rail and I thought with a heavy recoiling rifle and heavy scope, that design would be great at preventing the rings from moving on the rail..

****Edit to add:

I just went to look and I have noticed that they have changed them slightly, maybe updated the machine process, now they offer both picatinny and Weaver style slot dimensions (maybe they always did) and they have a logo machined into the cap versus the white screened logo on the side of the version I had. Maybe I should order a set and see how they work.

I agree with a CNC, they should be in perfect alignment, but how many different CNCs are they being produced on and how many people are involved in the initial setup of the tooling?

YMMV

OP
menhaden_man
Great summary @Darryle - I'll have to take a closer look at the 10/22s I have them on... might even have a set on an AR if I dig around.

Weldor

WKR
Makes me wonder what contractor is making them and making rings for the high dollar outfits? Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Mschroeder40

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Vortex pro rings and the Monstrum pro series rings they look identical. For half the price! I just put the monstrum's on my henry model x 30-30. I haven't shot it yet but they seem just as solid as the Vortex pro version. 20231221_190259.jpg