So I got a smoker

I use mine for everything. Probably cook on it 3-4x a week. Chicken wings, meatloaf, pizza, chicken thighs, pork belly burnt ends, brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, bacon to name a few of the things that have been cooked on it over the past month or so. It is the best thing for women too, it is almost impossible to burn stuff. She used to be intimidated by the grill, now she cooks on it often.

pirogue

WKR
I use mine religiously. I’ve got a pitboss vertical pellet smoker that I got to upgrad from my old masterbuilt smoker. Jerky, summer sausage, and of course all the other smoked meats options. I also like using it for eggs and vegetables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are there any good features Of the PitBoss, or is everything look like an afterthought, like having to shut the door on the temperature probe wire?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'll only use mine about a dozen times a year. Smoked salmon, summer sausage, homemade bacon, beef brisket, pork loin among others. I vary the type of wood depending on what I'm smoking. Hickory, Alder, maple, apple. Once in a great while I will use mesquite.

I use mine about a dozen or so times a year as well like gsphunter.
I bought mine after work got us one to use and saw how versatile they are. Use it like a smoker and like a grill. Used it at least twice a month at work.

So much you can use it for. I've used it like an oven and made cobblers and pies on it.
Corn on the cob is great on it.

Did a turkey breast for Thanksgiving

Attachments

• 20231125_162010.jpg
    20231125_162010.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231125_125115.jpg
    20231125_125115.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 41

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Some bacon, apple wood, ready for the slicer, and some Elk summer sausage, hickory wood. My smoker is a Bradley.

Attachments

• Resized_20210814_105126.jpeg
    Resized_20210814_105126.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Resized_20220714_190753.jpeg
    Resized_20220714_190753.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Those beef cheeks look AMAZING!

You can do anything with your pellet grill. Appetizers: jalapeño poppers, atomic buffalo turds, shotgun shells, armadillo eggs. Look up recipes for ‘fatties’. Lots of different options for putting a variety of fatties together including breakfast. Brined whole spatchcocked chickens. Pork butt, shoulder, ribs, loin. Beef brisket, burnt ends, ribs, reverse seared steaks, burgers AND beef cheeks (see above). Fish too is great. Smoked Mac and cheese, crack potatoes, meat church’s pit beans.

Lotta holiday season entertaining opportunities and It’d be a great time for you to put the new tool to the test.

Enjoy the thing!

Marble

WKR
GF decided I needed a smoker for Christmas, it arrived the other day.
Took 2 guys to carry it in.
Trager, has wifi, uses pellets. I have no idea how to use this thing :p. While I enjoy BBQ and good smoked meats, how often do you all with smokers use them?
I've been using them for 20 years. They are great smokers and are easy to use.

For maintenance, I vacuum out the inside each time I change the foil on the bottom tray. I put a few layers of foil on the tray, and it seems to work well.

One tip I give people to get a really good smokey piece of meat is to pre-smoke the meat on the smoke setting for a couple of hours. I want it around 140 degrees. If it keeps going above that I'll put a small stick in the door to let some heat out. I then pull it off, wrap it in cellophane (butcher paper may work well too) with my rub applied, and then place it in my fridge until the day I am going to cook it. Doing this really puts a much better smoke ring in the meat and lets the dry rub really start to absorb into the meat. Seem s to help tenderize the meat a little more also.

There are tons of recipes on line to refer to. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I use my Traeger 4-5 time as week. Smoker, grill, oven, use it for everything from jerky to cookies to pizza to butts. Almost never use the gas grill these days.

I use mine religiously. I’ve got a pitboss vertical pellet smoker that I got to upgrad from my old masterbuilt smoker. Jerky, summer sausage, and of course all the other smoked meats options. I also like using it for eggs and vegetables.

I have the Pit-Boss vertical smoker as well and really like it. Jerky, brisket, roasts, Mac cheese, turkey, pork ribs, steaks (smoke for 20 minutes at 170 or so then throw on the gas grill for a WOW flavor), prime rib, salmon. It's all fantastic. My smoker has 7 racks one day I had all 7 racks completely loaded with jerky pieces to smoke. Oh my did they turn out nice!!

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have 2 and use one of them 1-2 times a month. One is homemade out of an old Hotpoint fridge (with the clasping door). The other is a Masterbuilt electric when I need a set it and forget it overnight smoke (briskets for example). I tend to do large quantities when I smoke like whole pork bellies, hams, etc. All different kinds of woods depending on what I am smoking. I love curing and smoking meat and anything else.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any good features Of the PitBoss, or is everything look like an afterthought, like having to shut the door on the temperature probe wire?

It’s not a perfect system by any means. My old smokers I used to drop the probe wires through the vent caps. I am actually a little annoyed that I have to shut door on the probe wire. Especially on a smoker that has temp probes hardwired in to the control panel. It’s typical of a mid price smoker. If funds allowed I would have bought a Yoder.

I like how simple it is as a whole. I can pour the pellets in it, turn it on, and leave it for my wife to monitor while I’m at work.

Swamp Fox

WKR
GF decided I needed a smoker for Christmas, it arrived the other day.
Took 2 guys to carry it in.
Trager, has wifi, uses pellets. I have no idea how to use this thing :p. While I enjoy BBQ and good smoked meats, how often do you all with smokers use them?
She loves you, man ...

And she's smart and likes to eat.

Take the W ...

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have an offset smoker for when I feel like having the full smoked barbecue experience. That’s not to say pellet smokers can’t make good barbecue, it’s just different.

I use my green mountain pellet smoker 5 times per week in the spring and summer. Too hot here in Arizona to use the oven and stove. In the winter it’s more like 3 times per week. They are so simple and you can cook just about anything on them.

Arthas

FNG
It's a wood fired oven that you can smoke stuff in. Anything you can cook in an oven, you can cook on the pellet grill and get a nice Smokey flavor.

robtattoo

WKR
I had an old Masterbuilt propane job that was such a pain it got used maybe twice a year.
The Wife bought me a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker for my birthday last year to replace it & it's so much easier, I probably use it at least weekly now.
I've been making summer sausage like there's no tomorrow (120lb at last count), Christmas dinners, steaks, roasts, burgers, you name it. It's pretty much just as convenient as using the kitchen oven.

FYI smoked frozen pizza is awesome!

20230610_113436.jpg
20230426_192443.jpg
20220413_133842.jpg
20221218_190216.jpg
20191013_192708.jpg
20221203_184301.jpg

KurtR

WKR
I use my pitboss a lot at least 3-4 times a week from steak to ribs and everything in between. Pizza on there is awesome