SO Cimarron or Kodiak Canvas for truck camp?

gostovp

WKR
I have access to both a SO Cimarron and a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 FlexBow…
For a truck camp that wants to be mobile which would you recommend? The Cimarron is light and easy to setup, but the KOdiak Canvas , while also easy to setup, still takes more time but breaths better and is way more roomy and can fit a couple comfy cots ….
Either one better than the other? Or a horse a piece ?

The breathability of canvas of canvas alone makes it more than worth it. Add the extra room and it's a slam dunk.

JDB9818

WKR
I’ve actually used them both in your scenario. I still have the Kodiak and no longer have the Cimmeron.

Having the ability to stand up and change clothes and sleep on a cot vs sleeping on the ground and not being able to stand up made it an easy decision for me.

Both great tents but if camping at the truck you might as well be as comfortable as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm gonna spend 2 or more nights in it...I take the KC (especially when it's cold). Overnighters I'm less particular.

IMG_2640.JPG

Not sure if your buying or borrowing ? This might be a little different angle , but I have the largest Otter pop up fish house they make . The material is quilted . It's big and pops up/ down in a hurry. Can be staked in the wind. I made a stovejack and vent a small propane stove out of it. It's used for ice fishing in the winter. It's been great for truck camping

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
If you're solo I dont see why you'd need a tent with a truck. Make seats flat in back or pull seats and build a platform. Its got its own heater, electric. Insulation etc

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Not solo so not planning on sleeping in the truck. This year with my son, next year three, maybe 4 guys.
I already own the Cimarron right now…
The more I learned over the last year about how I wanted to do our first elk hunt the more I felt truck camping with the ability to be mobile is probably the best way to go… I’ll admit the Cimarron was an impulse buy thinking we would be camping on the mountain…not knocking the tent though, it’s a great piece of gear

dwils233

FNG
If the question is "one tent only in the quiver" and you plan on ever camping away from the truck, I'd get the SO for portability and versatility. If you only ever truck camp, go with the Kodiak.

If you already have your backpacking tent needs covered then I'd go Kodiak all day for comfort.

I've got an SO LBO and a Kodiak, I like having both but I'd never set up the SO instead of the Kodiak next to the truck at this point.

Superdoo

WKR
If the question is "one tent only in the quiver" and you plan on ever camping away from the truck, I'd get the SO for portability and versatility. If you only ever truck camp, go with the Kodiak.

If you already have your backpacking tent needs covered then I'd go Kodiak all day for comfort.

I've got an SO LBO and a Kodiak, I like having both but I'd never set up the SO instead of the Kodiak next to the truck at this point.
My thoughts exactly. If you can only have one get the one that works for most of your needs. If you can have two, might as well be as comfortable as possible!

The Kodiak is gonna be way more comfortable in every way except that you can't run a stove in it as easily. Basically an entirely different category of shelter. Setup on the Kodiak is simple but it's a pain IMO due to the size and weight of the components. I do find it to be more trouble than it's worth for overnighters, but for longer stays it's pretty unbeatable.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I own both. Kodiak for truck camping all the way. Waaay more comfort. But if I could only own one of them for all hunting it would be the Cimm.

11boo

WKR
Too late for this year, but a stove jack is pretty easy to add to canvas.

I never liked the added humidity of a propane heater.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Just picked up a KO Canvas 10x14 VX model that is literally like new , was never used for $500 off of FB marketplace, also came with the vestibule accessory…
So now we have in hand the Cimarron and Kodiak Canvas…

If I'm gonna spend 2 or more nights in it...I take the KC (especially when it's cold). Overnighters I'm less particular.
I'm with Bruce as I've got a Kodiak and an MLD supermid. For me think I'd need 3 nights or more to justify the extra work/time to setup and takedown the Kodiak. Maybe it's because I've been in hard soils, but it does take a while hammering in those 16 stakes and if I'm back after dark and gone before sunrise then I spend so little time in it to make it worth it.

When horse camping though, I love it as we're in camp much more.

I've actually been hoping to have a hunting scenario when I could be in one spot for longer as would be such a nice, comfy sleep each night. However, right now for me to hope for success I need to spend some nights in the woods, and be mobile other times.