Snowpack not looking very good :(

^ nope that map lists all the snotel sites and you can click on them and check the individual sites; the one I'm looking for now looks like this- is updated daily (and all the Western states have one)

RAWnHTa.png
You guys were not looking good in January.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
The interactive map at nrcs.usda.gov

On the right toolbar - select the "Basin Conditions" and scroll all the way to the bottom on the right toolbar and find the Map Overlays->Overlays->Political Boundaries-> States

1709853272848.png

Thought it’d bump this one back up. It’s looking really bad under 5000’ here. Got up to 7k today and there was only 7’ of snow in the shade. Snotel sites don’t tell the whole story of what is going on Lower down in the woods. Location is Idaho Unit 12. AFD5128C-9087-4E93-A63E-80585E6B6ECC.jpeg

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I just flew home from Dallas over Montana and the st joe.....holy crap is it bare. I could see roads out of st maries that should still have sleds on them.

I just flew home from Dallas over Montana and the st joe.....holy crap is it bare. I could see roads out of st maries that should still have sleds on them.
North Fork Clearwater isn’t fairing any better. Talk about ugly from the ground and from the sky! At least I’ve been seeing lots of healthy elk and not many wolf kills!

IDVortex

WKR
Thought it’d bump this one back up. It’s looking really bad under 5000’ here. Got up to 7k today and there was only 7’ of snow in the shade. Snotel sites don’t tell the whole story of what is going on Lower down in the woods. Location is Idaho Unit 12. View attachment 689423
I feel up high is alright, but anything under 5k is lacking in snow. This week's weather isn't helping at all, but this coming weekend and week might do better on holding if not adding some snow.

Crazy were already taking plows and sanders out of trucks and were not even through March.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're hanging on to ~ 70% of normal. We're going to have two days (today and tomorrow) where it's going to get to 70 degrees so that isn't going to help. But we're looking at a big cool down and possibly decent moisture for 4-5 days after that. That will likely be our last chance to get much snow, fingers crossed.

BJ5R5pR.png

At nearly 7,000 ft we are down to 12-16" of ice. Under that is water. The tough part is that the ground is frozen and nothing is soaking in. It's always a challenge to get infiltration as opposed to sending everything downstream to the fisherman.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ hopefully you guys benefit some from this next storm!

TVW

Lil-Rokslider

It's not good man, that's my stomping grounds and we were driving our UTV on stuff Sunday that still had FEET of snow this time last year.