Snowbirds

KHNC

WKR
1) Red River - actually originates in Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle
2) egotistical OU grads*! 😖

* - know several OU grads! I swear they must make some of those guys take 12 hours of "Egotism and Arrogance" before they can get their diploma!

I say that, but my orthopedic surgeon is an OU grad!

Point number 2!
Ask any student. They attend "the University of Oklahoma". So, wouldn't it be UO instead of OU?
Do all the students have dyslexia? 🤔
These are good too, but i was thinking more Full Metal Jacket!!

Reactions: OMF

CMF

WKR
Anyone do the ‘Red Neck Riveria’?
(Gulf coast of Florida/Alabama/Mississippi/Texas
I'd love to spend every summer and fall in the Mountain West, but it's hard to beat the Gulf Coast come winter. Got sunburned this past weekend sitting outside in just shorts. We can deer hunt til Jan 31, small game hunt til Feb. 28. Turkey starts Mar. 15. Most days are good for fishing with a few windy blown-out days a week.
I don't think we(MS coast) have the influx of snowbirds like some other areas of Florida and maybe Alabama where there is white sand and blue water. We get more touristy during the summer when people from Louisisana and northern MS come down. We just have brown water and sand, but better fishing.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I think we will stay on the northern side of south if that make sense. I like winter, just want less of it.
This is how we ended up in NC. Mild winters and July/August are the only months where the heat gets silly but not so bad that an ocean breeze or trip to the lake can’t cool you off.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
At what age do people start to think about warmer weather?

I'd be more prone to move somewhere with less traffic and just slower paced, if its colder no big deal. But maybe that opinion will change as I get old.

GoatPackr

WKR
I'm working at a large project near Chandler for a few months.
Im from Western WA and I suddenly understand why so many people snowbird. I really like this area.
The weather is so nice. I won't be around when it gets hot. It'll be time to get out before my boots start sticking to the ground.
I work a lot of hrs so not a lot of time to get around. Every 3 weeks my wife gets to come visit. She's really liking the area also. The food is great!!!
Also the gun shows are awesome!!! I try and hit one every weekend on my 1 day off. It's good to spend some of that money in the local economy 😁

Kris

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If our summers continue to get hotter (and more smoky) I’m going to do the reverse snow bird. I’ll summer in coastal Alaska and spend the rest of the year in Montana.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
You got me on that one. lol
Because Oklahoma sucks!

When we left Texas (Fort Worth area) to move to Oklahoma, my deer hunting buddy slash neighbor asked me, "Where you gonna hunt up there?"
At that point, I hadn't really thought about it! All I could think of to say was, "I dunno!".
That was 2002.
Since then, I have killed more deer, better deer, bigger deer than I EVER killed in 52 years of hunting in Texas!
.....and that isn't even counting the 🦃 turkeys that I was never able to hunt in Texas! 😉👍

Sooo.... I say "Oklahoma sucks!" with all levity in mind! LOL!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Arizona KOFA Wilderness 1 million acres to play on, you can go several days without seeing anyone if you desire. North of Yuma I'm usually able to find sheep and mule deer as well as javelina, yotes some quail etc. snakes are bad even in January and February so be smart if you go.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
At what age do people start to think about warmer weather?

I'd be more prone to move somewhere with less traffic and just slower paced, if its colder no big deal. But maybe that opinion will change as I get old.
To me, it wasn't an "age" thing, but when you back up to your wood stove and can't seem to get rid of a chill, it's time to consider warmer weather! 👍

That said! The "2021 Texas Deep Freeze" we were IN south Texas!
We saw the weather headed our way and knew we had to prep the 🧒 kid's house!
Asked the guy at Lowe's in Kingsville, "Where is the heat tape?"
Guy looks at me and asks, "What's heat tape?"
We finally bought "pool noodles" to insulate bare, outside piping.
Bought enough baled wood chips to build a passable well house to cover up the pressure tank, covered it with a tarp and stuck a work light inside for warmth.....and prayed it didn't catch on fire!
The electric heating in the house would not cut off at 62°.
Went to Tractor 🚜 Supply and bought a chainsaw. Cut up several mesquite trees on the kid's place and was able to heat the kitchen, living room and dining area above 70°!

It got down to 15°! In the Rio Grande Valley! 🤯
Palm trees were curling up and dying!

Fortunately, our water never froze nor did we lose electricity!

Scottyboy

WKR
Why not rent and try a different area every year?
Twice I was going to buy a vacation home and now looking back I'm glad we just rented, Those areas are no longer of interest, Also a mortgage, doubling property taxes, insurance, maintenance and utilities gets expensive.
This is what my parents do. They leave December 26 and head back towards home in April. This year it took them 2 weeks I believe it was to make it to palm desert. (Purposely, ie; visit national parks, other attractions etc on the way).

squirrel

WKR
I'm kinda flexing my wings right now. Yesterday at -3 and looked at the weather at my southern birds nest @86 and it made me realise I could float on water and cast rather than drive on water and drill... not really that tough of a choice to make.

IdahoElk

WKR
I'm kinda flexing my wings right now. Yesterday at -3 and looked at the weather at my southern birds nest @86 and it made me realise I could float on water and cast rather than drive on water and drill... not really that tough of a choice to make.
BRRR! I'd rather be casting to Red fish
gyxdF9b.jpg