Snow trekker base camp vs Davis go tent

Any one have experience with these 2 tents. I really like the look of the Basecamp but have a hard time spending 2k on something if the Davis go tent is just as good for half the price. The snow trekker looks to be a better design for camping on the snow.

Thoughts

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have experience with either, but I do have a cabalas alaknak 12x12 which is kind of a similar design to the Davis. One pro that I see to the basecamp, if you are looking at the smaller option, is there are quite a few less tent stakes, and overall weight is going to close to 1/2.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread, but I can answer the OP's question.

Snowtrekker uses a custom 7 oz/sq. yard canvas that is exclusive to them and David Ellis Canvas. I've handed and slept under that canvas; it is very high quality and tightly woven. They also use Easton aluminum tubing for their frame. Both save weight but add cost.

The Davis Go is available in 8 or 10 oz canvas. They use Sunforger for the 10 oz, which is also very high quality and pretty standard for wall tents. 8 oz is less common, and I'm pretty sure Sunforger doesn't come in 8 oz, so I don't know what fabric they are using for that. The lighter fabric is a $50 upcharge. Davis offers galvanized steel poles, or a kit to make your own, but either way it is a $150 additional cost. The frame is included with a Snowtrekker.

Leaving the tent up long term really isn't the point of these tents (get a traditional wall tent in 12.8 oz Sunforger for that), so I don't think there is a significant durability difference between the 7, 8 and 10 oz fabrics here. I think the advantage of the Davis Go fabrics comes down to lower cost.

Both are available with the window and screen doors, which are extra-cost options. Neither comes with a bag for the tent, but both do include a bag for the poles. Davis includes basic steel stakes in a bag, but I don't think Snowtrekker includes stakes. Both companies offer aluminum milsurp-type stakes separately.

Snowtrekker offers a separate ground tarp, but if you want a real floor, only Davis offers that, and they have a few different floor options available.

Having used a Snowtrekker, I can confidently say their set-up process is superior. The frame is free-standing, and you set that up by itself first. Then you throw the tent over the frame and stake it out. Depending on the model, you slide a horizontal pole into a sleeve on each long side wall, snap guy lines onto it, and stake those out. Lastly, you guy out the 2 end lines. It's surprisingly quick.

Conversely with the Davis, you start by staking out the 4 corners with the tent on the ground. Then you erect the 4 corner poles from the outside of the tent, staking out 2 guy lines for each corner. Next, you slide the ridge pole into the tent, and bring each of the 2 tall poles under the canvas, erecting the ridge pole into position. Finally, you insert the remaining stakes and wall poles from the outside, guying each one out individually.

Bottom line, for the extra cost of the Snowtrekker, you are getting considerably lighter weight (almost half!), and much quicker set-up.

Old thread, but I can answer the OP's question.

Snowtrekker uses a custom 7 oz/sq. yard canvas that is exclusive to them and David Ellis Canvas. I've handed and slept under that canvas; it is very high quality and tightly woven. They also use Easton aluminum tubing for their frame. Both save weight but add cost.

The Davis Go is available in 8 or 10 oz canvas. They use Sunforger for the 10 oz, which is also very high quality and pretty standard for wall tents. 8 oz is less common, and I'm pretty sure Sunforger doesn't come in 8 oz, so I don't know what fabric they are using for that. The lighter fabric is a $50 upcharge. Davis offers galvanized steel poles, or a kit to make your own, but either way it is a $150 additional cost. The frame is included with a Snowtrekker.

Leaving the tent up long term really isn't the point of these tents (get a traditional wall tent in 12.8 oz Sunforger for that), so I don't think there is a significant durability difference between the 7, 8 and 10 oz fabrics here. I think the advantage of the Davis Go fabrics comes down to lower cost.

Both are available with the window and screen doors, which are extra-cost options. Neither comes with a bag for the tent, but both do include a bag for the poles. Davis includes basic steel stakes in a bag, but I don't think Snowtrekker includes stakes. Both companies offer aluminum milsurp-type stakes separately.

Snowtrekker offers a separate ground tarp, but if you want a real floor, only Davis offers that, and they have a few different floor options available.

Having used a Snowtrekker, I can confidently say their set-up process is superior. The frame is free-standing, and you set that up by itself first. Then you throw the tent over the frame and stake it out. Depending on the model, you slide a horizontal pole into a sleeve on each long side wall, snap guy lines onto it, and stake those out. Lastly, you guy out the 2 end lines. It's surprisingly quick.

Conversely with the Davis, you start by staking out the 4 corners with the tent on the ground. Then you erect the 4 corner poles from the outside of the tent, staking out 2 guy lines for each corner. Next, you slide the ridge pole into the tent, and bring each of the 2 tall poles under the canvas, erecting the ridge pole into position. Finally, you insert the remaining stakes and wall poles from the outside, guying each one out individually.

Bottom line, for the extra cost of the Snowtrekker, you are getting considerably lighter weight (almost half!), and much quicker set-up.
This was very good info! I’ve been looking for a faster setup canvas tent over my 12x14 wall tent. Looked at the Davis Go tent but didn’t seem like setup time was that much faster. Wish the Snowtrekker had a sewn in floor option.

OP
F
Ended up buying a snow trekker a high country last winter. It's worth every penny and is very comfortable