Snow....getting it now but is it getting less each year?

DWinVA

WKR
This came across my news feed today. Thought it was a little ironic that I got it on the day we got our first significant snow of the season here in VA. I know a lot of you folks are getting hammered this winter. Since I've been to CO the past 2 years archery elk hunting I hope this years snow doesn't hurt the elk and other game and I hope the video is wrong. Stay safe out there.

He Spent 40 Years Alone in the Woods, and Now Scientists Love Him

God Bless.

I'm sure your not intending it, but this thread could quickly spiral down into a climate debate...

Find your local or state snowfall data for the last 20-30 years because snowfall varies A LOT year to year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure your not intending it, but this thread could quickly spiral down into a climate debate...

Find your local or state snowfall data for the last 20-30 years because snowfall varies A LOT year to year.

What he said.:D

OP
DWinVA

DWinVA

WKR

Definetly not my intention. I actually thought the story and videography was nicely done.

God Bless.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Year to year and decade to decade. People get real short-sighted when it comes to weather, especially folks these days. One person's lifetime is just a blip on the radar in regards to what the weather is doing. It's all cyclical. The problem is....we as people aren't real patient. We go through 10 years of drought and think the world is ending.

When I was a kid, we got a LOT of snow. But we also got weeks of subzero temps at a time as well. These days we're lucky to get 3" of snow in a winter. But in the grand scheme of things, the drought we've been in is hardly a blip I'm sure.

16Bore

WKR
Year to year and decade to decade. People get real short-sighted when it comes to weather, especially folks these days. One person's lifetime is just a blip on the radar in regards to what the weather is doing. It's all cyclical. The problem is....we as people aren't real patient. We go through 10 years of drought and think the world is ending.

When I was a kid, we got a LOT of snow. But we also got weeks of subzero temps at a time as well. These days we're lucky to get 3" of snow in a winter. But in the grand scheme of things, the drought we've been in is hardly a blip I'm sure.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking and to believe that humans can control it right now is absurd.

The BEST fear is that which we cannot see.....

JigStick

WKR
We always get pounded with lake effect snow coming off of Lake Erie. So its about the same every year for us. Now my parents live south of me. They seem to be getting less snow even though the temps seem to be much much lower.

wapitibob

WKR
I've got 3' in my back yard. Third time I can remember that much at one time in the 60 years I've been living. Fortunately the warm weather that's coming is going to be gradual this time. The previous two times it got real warm, real fast and the snow got heavy faster than people could get rid of it. It's been in the teens for most of this so it's light but the downside is it plows can't pile it up as easily.

One thing I've come to realize living in a mountain ski town for over 10 years is that I wouldnt want to invest in the ski industry. Just too unpredictable. I saw 4 feet of snow fall last over 3 days last week and then a half a foot of rain. Now its snowing again here. I am never surprised . Just the way of the mountains. My local area got more snow on average 7-10 years ago from what I remember. The last few winters we have had some rain mid winter which I dont recall happening the years before. If it was just 5 degrees colder we would have had a few feet of snow. I used to get destroyed by mosquitoes during August archery due to moisture from snowpack and havnt had that happen in at least 5 years. Well see how this winter goes.

ChrisS

WKR
I wrote a paper on snow and using snowfall measurements for anything is frustrating as hell. A) Snow doesn't blanket an area evenly because it blows around too much B) snow itself is highly variable. For a 1" water equivalent, snow could be 3" or it can be 8" C) most measurements are done by volunteers with a yardstick - people, despite their best efforts, aren't reliable like a rain gauge.

It's very difficult to make any kind of strong argument using snowfall. It's nice for weather stations to report on and good for conversation, but that's about it.

jmez

WKR
Pretty hard to draw any kind of conclusions on weather patterns during a human's lifetime. The planet is estimated to be 4.5 billion years old. 40 years worth of even hard, scientific data is useless in that perspective.

Pretty hard to draw any kind of conclusions on weather patterns during a human's lifetime. The planet is estimated to be 4.5 billion years old. 40 years worth of even hard, scientific data is useless in that perspective.
Agreed. Problem is the so called experts who draw conclusions on climate based on less than 100 years of good data. Older data is less accurate with less sampling.