Snow Depth - When do Elk Retreat?

GotDraw?

WKR
Snow must generally be above their front "knee" before they will go lower, this means 18+ inches. Once above the knee, they have to push snow to move, that takes extra energy = burns more fat. Not desirable for conserving energy.

The above from my buddy, who is a big-game biologist out West.

That said, his input is only a guideline and elk don't read guidelines every time they make decisions.

JL

If at all possible get to vantage points and glass as much as possible, if you run into fresh tracks that can also be very productive. FYI, hunting high is not always the ticket. Many elk get killed in the foot hills even without snow on the ground.

t_carlson

WKR
I don't think there is any magical depth. Elk will move or stay for a variety of reasons, and they don't all do the same thing at the same time.

The best way to figure out where they are is to get boots on the ground and go until you start seeing fresh sign.

Marble

WKR
Biologist here. Summer range, transition range, and winter range have no particular elevational restrictions. The elk will be where conditions are such they can maintain a caloric surplus, or at worst avoid a deficit as best they can during winter. They can often be in ranges not preferred in response to hunting pressures. In highly migratory herds, you can see them fluctuate between two of those ranges during the same time period based on conditions. I have managed areas where winter range and summer range overlapped at high elevation based on aspect and exposure that kept large grassy mountainsides relatively snow free during the winter period.

Cow elk will be less tolerant of deep snow than bulls, and they will typically seek easier conditions when the energy they expend to acquire food through snow is greater than the energy they will get from that food. The depth that occurs varies based on the condition of snow, not simply depth. Iced over rotten snow of 2” is harder to graze in than 10” of loose powder.

Like previously mentioned, continue moving until you find fresh sign, and best of luck to you.
Well said.

It's not just elevation. It also sun exposure. Southern and western facing slopes get more sun and will burn off faster. You can be at the same elevation, north facing vs southern or western,100 yards apart and have a foot depth difference in the snow.

You can see these areas easily when glassing. You will see plants exposed or even tracks in the snow.

For the Op, Don't focus on elevation only. It's probably the biggest mistake I see hunters make.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
Another limiting factor will be access roads snowed in. Be in a position to adjust your plans. Have a bunch of backup plans. Good luck and hope you kill an elk.

OP
jakeaba

jakeaba

FNG
Thank you all so much, just boarded the plane and can’t wait to get out there.

That’s a huge heard, I think I see how glassing could be beneficial even if you aren’t seeing the elk at the moment; a massive heard like that should have a trail that you could see. I understand all aren’t that big, but it seems the consensus says glass for success. So that’s my plan.

It doesn’t look like much snow at the moment but there’s some cold nasty weather coming toward Butte, it seems.

Again, thank you all so much. I put this off 20 years because I didn’t have anyone to teach me or go with me. Having a baby recently reminded me that life is temporary and I ain’t getting any younger. Gotta go make it happen now or never. Thank you all very much. I’ll be back on here , this is a gem of a site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Thank you all so much, just boarded the plane and can’t wait to get out there.

That’s a huge heard, I think I see how glassing could be beneficial even if you aren’t seeing the elk at the moment; a massive heard like that should have a trail that you could see. I understand all aren’t that big, but it seems the consensus says glass for success. So that’s my plan.

It doesn’t look like much snow at the moment but there’s some cold nasty weather coming toward Butte, it seems.

Again, thank you all so much. I put this off 20 years because I didn’t have anyone to teach me or go with me. Having a baby recently reminded me that life is temporary and I ain’t getting any younger. Gotta go make it happen now or never. Thank you all very much. I’ll be back on here , this is a gem of a site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hunt smarter not harder.

We pounded the hill for two straight days with no contact. But I could glass them up a mile away 1500' lower. Take about 4 hours to get to them. We just glassed and watched. Next day we glassed about 8 hours, didn't hunt at all. We figured out where a ton of elk were, went up in the morning and filled both tags.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
How did your hunt go? It's nice to hear from people after they get back. What did you learn this trip? What would you do differently? Every trip is a new learning experience. Hopefully you had a great trip.

I might have missed it in this thread but for mountain hunting in snow its good to get an avy awareness class under your belt and know how to stay out of terrain traps, etc.
Anyone else surfing here please consider avy education before venturing out.

I was snowmobiling yesterday in about 2 1\2 - 3 feet of snow. Between mid mountain and the top, i came accross a 7 pt bull bedded down. nice bull. I could tell he was eating off of the trees, and had been there awhile.