Snow collar or no snow collar?

• Cut it off, too heavy

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Love it, very useful

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters

JoshTX

WKR
I would have been up shit creek without a paddle had this pack had the snow collar cut out lol. I'm a fan of them after this.
8amu4eqa.jpg

Dang, I thought I was bad about strapping the kitchen sink to mine. Do tell what all you got packed in there. My guess is wife or kiddie gear..

littlebuf

Banned
He had to pack out three camps if I remember the the text right, brock goes pretty light. Dang brock, that's a hell of a pack. Hope those fan boys bought you a beer ;)

OP
Where's Bruce?
He had to pack out three camps if I remember the the text right, brock goes pretty light. Dang brock, that's a hell of a pack. Hope those fan boys bought you a beer ;)

Would those be Badlands Fanboys? ROTF! Never buy a pack that begins with the word Bad.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
cut it not for weight, but because the amount of time it is in the way=all the time vs the amount of time i would actually need it=almost never

you can always stack things on top of the pack and cinch them under the lid when you need the space, essentially the same as a snow collar just not fully enclosed.

I do not have my BT1 yet, but when I do get it, I plan to add a strip of velcro to the snow collar portion so it will stay securely to the inside of the main bag when tucked in and not in use 90% of the time.

Manosteel

WKR
Keep the snow collar for all reasons already mentioned. Well worth the oz or two it weights. Like others I use it a lot in day hunt mode as main pocket snide the bag.

MattB

WKR
I personally would never think of cutting it out of one of my packs - too much versatility added for very little weight. YMMV

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dang, I thought I was bad about strapping the kitchen sink to mine. Do tell what all you got packed in there. My guess is wife or kiddie gear..

Haha yeah, myself and my 2 hunting partners camps here. We spotted a buck a ridge over and they went to kill it. I stayed behind and watched through the spotter. After it was all said and done and the buck rolled to the bottom of the valley, it was easier for them to follow the valley out to a road a few miles below. I then packed out to base camp and went and met them with the truck.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Haha yeah, myself and my 2 hunting partners camps here. We spotted a buck a ridge over and they went to kill it. I stayed behind and watched through the spotter. After it was all said and done and the buck rolled to the bottom of the valley, it was easier for them to follow the valley out to a road a few miles below. I then packed out to base camp and went and met them with the truck.

You sir are one cool bungster.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider

I need to hunt/share camp with this guy ^^^!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm using the standard lid, I like the snow collar.
The pack on the right is my old T1 with snow collar and standard lid. Half a boned out bull and all my day hunting gear. (About 130-140 lbs)

On my new T1, I hacked off the snow collar, sleeping bag divider and bladder pocket. I then added a cut up Longhunter lid and two med pockets to the sides. This is my favorite configuration so far.

This is my new T1 with the mods mentioned above. Two boned out quarters plus a bunch of trim and my day hunting gear. This is the heaviest pack I have carried. (150-160 lbs) Dirtytough and I switched off with this pack because it was so heavy.

The pack on the right is my old T1 with snow collar and standard lid. Half a boned out bull and all my day hunting gear. (About 130-140 lbs)

On my new T1, I hacked off the snow collar, sleeping bag divider and bladder pocket. I then added a cut up Longhunter lid and two med pockets to the sides. This is my favorite configuration so far.

This is my new T1 with the mods mentioned above. Two boned out quarters plus a bunch of trim and my day hunting gear. This is the heaviest pack I have carried. (150-160 lbs) Dirtytough and I switched off with this pack because it was so heavy.

After seeing my hacked LH lid Al picked one up this week while at kifaru. We both agree that it's our favorite pocket on the T1 bag! Nice and easy access no matter how full your pack... wouldn't mind picking up a medium pocket but I have a hard enough time finding stuff to fill the front two pockets with at this point!

Mike

Mike

OP
Where's Bruce?

Well I must say, this certainly has been an eye opening discussion and I am now considering ways to make the a collar removeable (zipper, snaps or buttons) as I see the benefits of it on and off.

Leave it on. I am sure that soon Kifaru will come up with another pack i cant live without soon... so i keep mine for resale value. Whether or not people looking to buy it want it or not, once you start hacking, the price drops. I use mine like SHTF.... but that started out of lazyness more than anything haha. Never seems to be too much hassle and you may need it.

Joe

slim9300

WKR
I cut mine off and run the LH lid all trimmed up. Basically I have the same amount of cubic inches for the exact same weight. But when I need the extra height the snow collar provides, I just run a UL dry bag between the top of the pack and the lid. Problem solved and no messing with the collar on a day to day basis. Just my .02

OP
Where's Bruce?
Aron????????

Hey Aron, how about you guys make the snow collar removable with a zipper, snaps or buttons? Best of both worlds! If ya need a guinea pig for this experiment, I volunteer, You guys are building a DT1 for me now anyway. Whaddaya think? Doable?

dotman

WKR
Hey Aron, how about you guys make the snow collar removable with a zipper, snaps or buttons? Best of both worlds! If ya need a guinea pig for this experiment, I volunteer, You guys are building a DT1 for me now anyway. Whaddaya think?

Doable?

I'm not Aron but here is my guess to the answer, No :). It would add even more weight and cost. If you really want that option I'm sure you could get a local seamstress to do it.

I'm not Aron but here is my guess to the answer, No :). It would add even more weight and cost. If you really want that option I'm sure you could get a local seamstress to do it.

I agree. Too much weight.
I leave snow collar in.

And yes the Longhunter lid is sweet. I have been rocking a Kifaru Longhunter for years.

MattB

WKR
Ditto, using a zipper to attach it would eat up ~1/3 the weight gained by removing it in the first place - to what end?

JoshTX

WKR

You are a gentleman and a scholar. :cool: