Snow chains...educate me!

Zbot

WKR
Not sure what I need....most people seem to be talking about on pavement use from the research I’ve been doing

I need some for strictly off-road use, on a AWD SUV, to get around my hunt area. Use will be on dirt roads and trails to get to areas to hike in from, not sure if there is ice under the snow.

Diamond or ladder?

jmez

WKR
Check your owners manual first. A lot of newer vehicles aren't compatible with chains.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
I have only ever used the ladder style. Buy the best you can. Make sure the have the cam locks. Have plenty of bungees. Most importantly, when you are putting them on, lay them out and make sure that nothing is on a bind. I put mine on one day in deep mud and didn’t,and it snapped the connecting hook, came off on the inside and tore up the break lines. Costly error due to not paying attention. If you buy good ones and put them on right they are fantastic. Try to put them on before conditions get too messy.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Highly recommend reaching out to Bluejay Industrial in Hayden,ID. Give them a call and discuss your needs. Their business is chains and they build them for every possible application and offer excellent quality, value and customer service.

duchntr

WKR
Im a fan of RUD chains seen here: SUV Tire Chains. As far as clearance restricted vehicles go, get some S class chains and they'll fit. Check out etrailer.com they have a good selection of chains.

rayporter

WKR
I have 2 sets of chains I bought in '84 to get out of the mountains. they are not the v bar or anything special at all. just ladder chains. I have many miles on one pair. they are worn from several trips to work on a black top road but they still do the job. which makes me wonder about some of the fancy stuff.

they get used only when needed and I try to keep off of roads. when needed I put them on and then take them off as soon as possible.

practice putting them on and make sure you get them tight. lay them out and get them straight and don't have any kinks in them.

once you make up your mind you are going to get dirty putting them on they can be installed pretty darn fast. like just a couple minutes per chain.

wildcat33

WKR
Take a peek behind your tires and evaluate the clearance between the tire and the suspension/steering hardware in the front. On my 11 tacoma, there isnt enough room to run traditional chains on the front, only the back. In the back I run a heavy duty chain with a straight bar welded across the chain (ladder maybe?). Light duty cable chains may fit on the front but I haven't verified. On the occasions Ive needed them, only having chains in the back was not ideal. Very little steering capability. I would only recommend this setup as a last resort to escape a muddy area.

Toyo Mud terrain or nitto Mud grappler?

Haha I’m only joking. I’ve never run chains because I run Mt tires and park the truck prior to any deep/bad mud areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were buying chains, I would get the ones with ice cleats, previously referred to as that bar welded across the chain. As previously stated, putting them on correctly is paramount.

GregB

WKR
I use ladder with v-bar on back tires, and no v-bar just the chain up front. That way I can use the the straight chain on paved roads if needed. I would also buy the better quality tensioners and carry an extra tensioner or two, I've had the cheaper ones break in the past.

It seems like the ice bars get mixed recommendations for mud. Supposedly, based on conversations with a couple different places, the ice bars are meant to break through the ice and are not meant to help get you out of mud, unless it is iced up. So, if ice is an issue on your muddy roads it would make sense to get them. I do like the idea of one of each set.

I need to get chains for my truck and for off road use it was recommended I get 7mm square link chains front and rear. Not sure if I'll get pewag or titan, but it is on list to get before fall.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tire Chains-275 65 20-TireChain.com

7.00 MM Boron Alloy Chains. They are the best in my opinion.

Trust me. These are the ones to get. Most people who talk about chains have never put a set on....then they use those little shitty chains and one chain breaks and your screwed and trash your entire fender-well....these dont break.

- - - Updated - - -

The chain ramps are excellent as well.....I got 2 sets to do all 4 tires at once. Its faster. I can put 4 chains on all of the tires in about 15 minutes by myself.

danarnold

WKR
vbar beats the shit outta other style in my opinion...only used in snow and ice so far for me
I paid a lot more for them compared to the above link, ramps look like the bomb and good advice re make sure they're not twisted

Chico103

Lil-Rokslider
Airing down IMO works better than chains offroad on loose snow. Figure out your minimum safe tire pressure for your rig and you’ll easily have twice as much rubber on the ground. You just need a compressor to get your tires back up to a safe highway pressure to get home. They make quick deflator valves so you just hop out, screw the valves on and keep driving and your tires automatically deflate to your predetermined pressure. I also carry regular chains but mainly use them when required on the highway on ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk