Snapping turtle

Traveler

WKR
I’m not familiar with snapping turtles. Is this really what their crap looks like or is it something else?

Attachments

• IMG_5018.jpeg
    IMG_5018.jpeg
    552.4 KB · Views: 247

wyosteve

WKR
Caught one when I was young and made soup out of it. Won't happen a second time!!

wyosteve

WKR
It's been so long I don't remember, but my best guess is that I didn't bleed it out!

highcj5

WKR
Yea. Looks like she is nesting? Have seen them at my pond and also the little yellow belly slider turtles nesting.
Better to eat a turtle that has cleaned its system out. When caught, throw them in a 55 gallon drum. Feed them cat food for about a week. Change the water in the drum every day. That will really clean the meat up.

Flushing it out over several days with clean water before killing it is a huge part of the process.
agreed, can be zero days if caught in a nice clean stream/river or up to a week if caught in a nasty stagnant swamp

49ereric

WKR
Never cleaned out a turtle just butchered and usually in the crock pot or the elder lady down the road
Baked em… Good eats…

Q child

WKR
Huh, it's never occurred to me to eat a turtle. We don't have any here. I'd give it a try. Is it a white meat?

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea. Looks like she is nesting? Have seen them at my pond and also the little yellow belly slider turtles nesting.
Better to eat a turtle that has cleaned its system out. When caught, throw them in a 55 gallon drum. Feed them cat food for about a week. Change the water in the drum every day. That will really clean the meat up.
Interested in why.....and what does cat food do?

KsRancher

WKR
Huh, it's never occurred to me to eat a turtle. We don't have any here. I'd give it a try. Is it a white meat?
It reminds me of eating frog legs. Kind of rubbery. There is white meat and some almost red meat in turles. Each muscle group has a different color