Snakes

bwlacy

WKR
Are there many rattlesnakes in SW Colorado in the mountains around Lizard Head area? Are they out during the first two weeks of archery? Being from Michigan that is something we don't have to worry about or ever think of.

Not familiar with the area, but I've only run across one when muzzleloading and have seen more bears and cougars than snakes. There are a ton down here on the front range too and you occasionally see them crossing hiking paths and roads in the foothills. That being said, I rarely run across them and not much you can do; hopefully they give you warning before you get too close, but if you're worried, bring a snake kit. If you don't have one just hope you have a good buddy and that you didn't get bit anywhere they aren't going to want to suck on ;). In all seriousness though we prepare ourselves for the worst case that we never see. I have never been close enough to come close to being bitten and my dad had one warn him a couple years ago that he probably would've stepped on so they will help you out most of the time.

Steve

FNG
Honestly don't worry about the snakes. They want less to do with you than you do them. I live in PA and go rattlesnake hunting every year. A few times I've popped up on them (jumping from rock to rock) but they always try to get away rather than strike. You really have to provoke them to get them to strike at you. I handle them with nothing more than a golf club and my bare hands. That being said, I don't know if I would handle one in the back country with my bare hands. IF you were to get bitten, just get to a hospital as soon as you can...Hopefully in less than 24 hours. As far as snake kits and sucking out the venom, don't waste your time or money. That's just old folklore that doesn't work. Get to the hospital for anti-venom. BTW it will hurt like hell.

Steve

FNG
I don't believe they make an oral form. It's injected into your bloodstream. One more note if you are bitten, try to remain as claim as possible. I know that sounds impossible, but the higher your heart rate and blood pressure get, the more tissue damage you will receive. Just stay claim and take it east trying to get out of the backcountry. The good news is only 1 in 3 rattlesnakes bites are venomous, but I wouldn't take that chance.

LostArra

WKR
I don't believe they make an oral form. It's injected into your bloodstream. One more note if you are bitten, try to remain as claim as possible. I know that sounds impossible, but the higher your heart rate and blood pressure get, the more tissue damage you will receive. Just stay claim and take it east trying to get out of the backcountry. The good news is only 1 in 3 rattlesnakes bites are venomous, but I wouldn't take that chance.

yes, injectable only and about $2000 per vial.
most venomous bites (copperheads, rattlers) require 6-10 vials