Snake Boots!

Unckebob

WKR
I am not in a position where I have ever needed Snake Boots, but I am working on changing that.

The problem I have is I am a freak of nature who worked out a lot in my younger days.
- Short Legs,
- Giant calves, and
- wide feet with high arch.

How high do the snake boots need to go to make them "safe?" Lace ups are an absolute must. I never wear cowboy boots (1) I am not a Cowboy and (2) they end up being really tight around my calves making them very hot.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
I think most snake bites are below the knee. Honestly, I’d worry more about fit and comfort. Having some armor is better than none if you’re walking through rattler habitat.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I despise snake boots.
I have a pair of Danners that I cant get the zippers zipped
because my calves are too big.
Never have had a comfortable pair.

Last edited:

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Danners and really like them. Where I Turkey hunt and in the early part of deer season there are a lot of Timber Rattlers. Copperheads also but I’m more worried about the rattlers. They are lace ups and pretty lightweight.

Danner are the best ive had but the foot seems to be a bit narrow. The readhead zip ups are the most comfortable i’ve had but the waterproofness does not last long, maybe a year. I used to buy a pair ever year because the were so comfortable but they went to a smaller zipper that gave me doubts so i switched to danner. Ive had this pair 3-4 years and have done up to 10 miles in them with no issue. The most important thing ive found for comfort, as long as they fir your foot, it to buy a pair with zipper and laces, then you can set the laces where you want, based on calf size, then use the zipper for quicker on/off. They just have more adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
Turtleskin snake gaiters with comfortable leather lined hiking boots . The gaiters are available in a husky size. Your legs will be just as hot as in snake boots. Chippewa, Russell, Justin, Gokey and other relatively loose slip on boots stay cooler by a pumping effect as you walk moving air in and out if you have room around the shaft. Have had all of them and the larger the shaft of the boot, the cooler. Have a pr of Russell turkey hunters I can run in but absolutely no ventilation. Turtleskin gaiters are like having your lower legs in a sauna in hot weather but given your leg shape may be the best option unless you can afford custom made Russells or Gokeys.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I find my snake boots to be very comfortable. I have a pair of Lacrosse rubber snake boots for my standing water terrain and a pair of Irish Setter Vaprtrek for my upland areas. I put several miles a day on these boots during turkey season and bow season.

The Irish Setters are so comfortable that I wear them out West.

Of course, copperheads and water moccasins are more aggressive than rattlesnakes, but they’ll all strike you.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Get a pair of Russell's custom made for your feet and calves. If Jason Hart can have a pair made for his legs, so can you.

I'm in the SE. Hot humid.

LaCrosse rubber snake boots. Waterproof. Hot. Comfortable.

Danner sharptail snake boots. Not waterproof. More Comfortable. Not as hot.

A boot dyer helps to get the sweat out.

Gila

WKR
Irish setter lace ups…..lightweight, waterproof and they breathe. They work great with cactus, thorns and goat heads too. They are my scouting boots.

My daily ranch chore boots are LaCrosse pull ons. I ride with them too. They last for years and stay waterproof. They fit extremely well,

I've used Listo Brush Cruisers on all my desert hunts and they are fantastic. Very lightweight and similar to turtle skins, but a much better design. They stay in place and have a great system for the stirrup strap. Used them over Kenetreks and Alverstones with no issue. https://listoprovisions.com/

If you’ve got the time in the budget, Russell boots are the way to go. I had a pair made with Turtle Skin lining 18 years ago. Worth every penny. They’re fairly stiff and take a considerable amount of time to break in. I went with an 8 inch boot and wear turtle skin gators or an ancient pair of Wick snake proof chaps, depending upon where I’m at.

My daughter got a set of Dry Shod viper stop boots last year which were put to the test and passed with flying colors.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'll echo others above...Turtleskins gaiters with thick, leather books. I also got their snake chaps for times when I go offtrail and rummage around. They protect the entire front of your leg. I would not want to wear the chaps on long hike but they provide confidence as you move about.

Unless you are sitting down on the ground or a log, or going up a steep incline, I believe bites would rarely occur above the knee.

Most everyone I know who wears lace ups uses Rocky Pro-lights. I have had 3 pair. I have had russells and other brands prior to but the rockys have worked best for me Over the 40 years of hunting in places you want them. I used them in Florida walking in water and mostly sandy soils for the last 20 years or so replacing them about every 5 /6 years or so. Thats hunting about every weekend from Nov-April , so a lot of use.

I still have the last pair for 7 years but no longer wear them much as I hunt in AL. I do wear them if I'm in the woods in AL before November.

They are not the most durable but not that expensive. They are as cool of a boot of that type you will probably find. I was never a fan of Rocky boots and have had a few pairs for deer hunting but found better options for deer hunting boots. But I can say the snake boots have worked out.

danner sharptail are the most comfortable but I wouldnt want to walk over a mile or two in them. I wear them everday on ranch

when I have to walk a ways like archery pronghorn, I use my leather hanwags yukons and Foreverlast Snake Guard Shields

I think they are $35

If I ever hunt much in Florida again I will probably go with a good boot for walking on sand and thru water and go with a gaitor system Rather than buy another pair of snake boots.