Snake bite

Also mentioned on another thread but there should probably be more discussion on Rokslide regarding hunting in arid areas and first aid for rattlesnakes especially if hunting solo or a long ways from a hospital.

Taudisio

WKR
I can’t tell you how many rattlers I have seen/killed over the years. Like others, I don’t kill them out in the woods anymore. I’ve killed two on purpose with a boot stomp, young and uneducated on how bad it could have been. I just read the bowsite thread, brings it back to, best not to ef around with them. I used to bow hunt an area where it was a rare day when I did not see a rattler. Ran into two mating once, I turned them into a kabob with one arrow, and used another arrow to thump them each on the head. Those might have been the last two I killed and that was 15 years ago. I can’t tell you how many rattles I have given away. I moved states and I’ve seen about 10 since, all of them were left alone. I’ve had a cousin and a good buddy have REALLY close calls nearly stepping on them. I was young, dumb, and fortunate that’s for sure.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Also mentioned on another thread but there should probably be more discussion on Rokslide regarding hunting in arid areas and first aid for rattlesnakes especially if hunting solo or a long ways from a hospital.
I don't think much first aid can be done. Now I have no experience with someone actually getting bit, but I confident in saying the snake bite kits do more damage then they do good, and don't be dumb and try to suck the venom out. Clean bite with fresh water, and apply firm pressure above bite if in an area thats possible, and get to a hospital as fast as possible.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a horror film. How does a rattlesnake get into someone's laundry or under their recliner???
I have no idea. You would have to ask the snake. This area I'm referring too never expanded much past the 50's and the houses are super old. Just ranch houses every few miles up and down a river.

I had a rattlesnake strike me while I was running down a trail a few years ago. I didn’t feel it if I did step on it, and I didn’t see it until after it hit the back of my leg.
This is a fear I have. Moved recently and the trail I run definitely is rattle snakey. The brush is getting taller and I've started to think about it more.

In Texas where we have tons of them, the thinking is that rattlers aren’t rattling because of the massive hog population. Apparently the hogs eat them so they learned to stay quiet.

There’s a lot of debate on how true this is but I’d love to hear biologists thoughts on this theory.
Ain't the hogs it's just normal evolution, the ones that rattle get noticed and killed, mostly by people.

Down here at my camp on the coast we've had several that physically didn't have rattles, just a wad of tissue and skin there. That makes me curious what's going on, could be devolving the rattle altogether?

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Funny timing we just finished up the sinamahoning rattle snake hunt up here in pa. First thing first they are dangerous. I’ve been close to getting bit once when I almost stepped over one checking cameras. Coincidentally in the same area the gentleman was posting about on bow site when hE got bit.

The second thing to remember is protection is key. I got snake boots for 200 bucks. Gaiters are cheaper but I feel better in boots

Rattle snakes are not pro athletes they can only hit so far out. I check all the tall grasses, blue berry bushes, and rock faces before walking through.

Bears

FNG
My biggest fear, working on my ranch up in N. FL is running into these bastards. In the last year I only had to shoot a cottonmouth and I hope it stays that way for a long time.

Last year I was driving down the two lane highway and saw a massive eastern diamondback rattler crossing the road. He got center road about the time I passed him (I was in a rush and didn't slow down, but I intentionally did not hit him) and as my front wheel passed in front of him, he coiled up and prepared to strike. He was fatter than my arm. It was impressive to see from the safety of my truck. I do not believe the car following me was as kind.

David

FNG
Curious what the medical bills were for those of you who got bit? I heard it can run up to $100K.

All of them were in the wonderful Imnaha canyon in Oregon. I just wonder how many near misses happen as well. I know we have had many of them, but I've never been bit, or has anyone with me.
This place sounds terrifying. People getting bit inside their houses is no bueno.

I don't think much first aid can be done. Now I have no experience with someone actually getting bit, but I confident in saying the snake bite kits do more damage then they do good, and don't be dumb and try to suck the venom out. Clean bite with fresh water, and apply firm pressure above bite if in an area thats possible, and get to a hospital as fast as possible.
Most snakebite (and venomous snake) "common knowledge" is fuddlore garbage, same with a lot of snakebite kits. What actually works is a Pressure Immobilization Bandage (PIB) because it slows down the movement of fluid to your lymph nodes. That's because the venom isn't really in your blood, it's in your lymphatic fluid. As I said on the other thread, do not be the guy tourniqueting a snakebite.

As for the OP, it varies by species and individual. There's basically no such thing as an aggressive snake, they're only defensive and no they will not chase you like some bubbas in the southeast will tell you (usually referring to water moccasins). For the most part you have to step on the snake to get bit, and if you're not stepping on it its max strike range is 2/3 of its body length.

Here are a few introductory videos some guy made for medical school students regarding venomous snakes in the United States (so not that in depth). I think the best primer on snake venom I've come across is only about 15 pages and it's in Roland Bauchot's book "Snakes: A Natural History".

Last edited:
Curious what the medical bills were for those of you who got bit? I heard it can run up to $100K.
It varies by the species you get bit by. CroFab is the polyvalent antivenom for north american pit vipers such as water moccasins, rattlesnakes, and copperheads. CroFab is also $3,200 per vial but some places charge a lot more for it, upwards of $12,000 per vial because they know they can screw you over since you're desperate. If you get bit by a copperhead there's low chance you'll need antivenom at all because their venom is a joke. However if you manage to get tagged by a mojave rattlesnake or eastern diamondback you will be needing multiple vials. Probably up to about 8-12, but a minimum initial dosage of at least 4.

Coral snakes are obviously not pit vipers so they're an exception, with their antivenom being NACSA I believe. You definitely need it for coral snakes though because their venom is a fun combo of pre/post synaptic neurotoxins which have a nasty habit of preventing your ability to breathe.

Obviously some caveats apply, such as regional variation in venom composition especially in vipers. For instance the timber rattlesnake has 4 different regional subtypes of its venom: hemotoxic, neurotoxic, hemotoxic AND neurotoxic, and then the last subtype has way lower venom potency across the board. If you get tagged by the last subtype, your medical bills might not suck quite as much.

Fun facts: because antivenoms are derived from the antibodies of horses, a decent percentage of people have allergic reactions to them including anaphylactic shock. And If you are teaching kids about venomous snakes do not rely on rhymes. This kid's scoutmaster misremembered the "red on yellow, kill a fellow" rhyme and let him pick up a coral snake (he got bit).

202304SNAKE007.jpg

The gentleman from the Bowsite, the story I linked, also posted a copy of his bill. Going from memory it was just shy of $500,000.
If you get bit by more than a copperhead and are uninsured, you may be financially ruined. Luckily that guy was insured else he'd have had to actually pay that.

OP
H
These stories solve my conundrum. I'll take my chances with knowing that I'm either gonna be dead or filing bankruptcy from a hospital bed!

Sled

WKR
I've had 2 occurrences. Both times I was running. Once on a trail and once boulder hopping in an avalanche path. Both times they got boot or pant leg and did not make contact with the skin. Seems if you surprise them they will react.

Will_m

WKR
It varies by the species you get bit by. CroFab is the polyvalent antivenom for north american pit vipers such as water moccasins, rattlesnakes, and copperheads. CroFab is also $3,200 per vial but some places charge a lot more for it, upwards of $12,000 per vial because they know they can screw you over since you're desperate. If you get bit by a copperhead there's low chance you'll need antivenom at all because their venom is a joke. However if you manage to get tagged by a mojave rattlesnake or eastern diamondback you will be needing multiple vials. Probably up to about 8-12, but a minimum initial dosage of at least 4.

Coral snakes are obviously not pit vipers so they're an exception, with their antivenom being NACSA I believe. You definitely need it for coral snakes though because their venom is a fun combo of pre/post synaptic neurotoxins which have a nasty habit of preventing your ability to breathe.

Obviously some caveats apply, such as regional variation in venom composition especially in vipers. For instance the timber rattlesnake has 4 different regional subtypes of its venom: hemotoxic, neurotoxic, hemotoxic AND neurotoxic, and then the last subtype has way lower venom potency across the board. If you get tagged by the last subtype, your medical bills might not suck quite as much.

Fun facts: because antivenoms are derived from the antibodies of horses, a decent percentage of people have allergic reactions to them including anaphylactic shock. And If you are teaching kids about venomous snakes do not rely on rhymes. This kid's scoutmaster misremembered the "red on yellow, kill a fellow" rhyme and let him pick up a coral snake (he got bit).

202304SNAKE007.jpg
I’m just here to say what a dumbass of a scoutmaster.

These stories solve my conundrum. I'll take my chances with knowing that I'm either gonna be dead or filing bankruptcy from a hospital bed!
If you're not a toddler or over 80 years old, AND you have health insurance, you'll be fine physically and financially. Almost no healthy adults die from snakebite in the US. Most of our venomous snakes are kind of a joke compared to other parts of the world.
I’m just here to say what a dumbass of a scoutmaster.
Especially because coral snakes aren't even all red/yellow/black. The rhyme doesn't really cover them well.

5eepimk2l2p91.jpg