Snacks

jpmulk

WKR
So my family is working on our health: cutting out processed foods and store bought breads. I’ve discovered this has wiped out many of my go to snacks for hunting.

What snacks do you health nuts use in the woods that are palatable and high energy? They also must not spoil quickly for backpack style hunts.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I certainly wouldn't call myself a health nut, but I'm trying to pack a little healthier this season so I'm not living off pure junk food for 10 days at a time.

I've dehydrated some apples and bananas, and will have that with some peanut butter, i got a couple of the Jif squeeze pouches. I also made some dehydrated fruit leathers. Super easy, buy whatever bag of mixed frozen fruits or berries looks good, let them thaw, add some dates or honey for sweetener, blend, and dehydrate. I added a bunch of chia seeds to one of them and it seems to have turned out well.

I've got some de-shelled pistachios, high calorie with some protein and fiber.

I also got some cheese crisps, some from Moon Cheese brand, and some called Whisps. Pure cheese, super high calorie, a good amount of protein.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
I certainly wouldn't call myself a health nut, but I'm trying to pack a little healthier this season so I'm not living off pure junk food for 10 days at a time.

I've dehydrated some apples and bananas, and will have that with some peanut butter, i got a couple of the Jif squeeze pouches. I also made some dehydrated fruit leathers. Super easy, buy whatever bag of mixed frozen fruits or berries looks good, let them thaw, add some dates or honey for sweetener, blend, and dehydrate. I added a bunch of chia seeds to one of them and it seems to have turned out well.

I've got some de-shelled pistachios, high calorie with some protein and fiber.

I also got some cheese crisps, some from Moon Cheese brand, and some called Whisps. Pure cheese, super high calorie, a good amount of protein.
Thanks for sharing. Good ideas.

Block

WKR
Depends on your goals man. Are you trying to lose weight ? Is that what you mean by working on your health ???

Theres a HUGE difference between “healthy” and what the world thinks is healthy. Lately the push for healthy high fats is absolutely rediculous. Theres nothing healthy about someone overweight eating nuts, avocados, whole eggs, and olive oil if it’s putting them in a calorie surplus. You can eat very “healthy” and just gain weight and get more unhealthy, you aren’t going to die even on a backpack hunt by eating lower calories. People act like they are going to wither away and have no energy on a hunt so they bring the highest fat stuff in their pack like snicker bars and nuts. I get it,, it’s light,.. high calories low weight. But this is the exact opposite mentality you need to have if you are trying to “get healthy” / aka lose weight. I’m not saying you need to do this on your couple hunts a year…Enjoy those and eat what you want..You will likely burn enough calories on a hunt to break even even if you eat like shit..BUT,..When ur not in the field seek out HIGH volume LOW calorie foods.

Block

WKR
I bring ziplocks of oatmeal with whey protein and dried fruit to add water like overnight oats or heat the water with my Jetboil. I bring flavored tuna packets. I bring dehydrated fruit with no sugar added, and I bring jerky without a bunch of sugar. I don’t mind packing a little extra weight to ACTUALLY eat “healthy”

I have to fatten up before backpack hunts cause I can't get enough calories inme to avoid weight loss... eating at home vs in the mountains is two different things.

That said, for backpacking I like sausage sticks, trail mix, lara bars, and fritos for my daytime snacking.

Block

WKR
I have to fatten up before backpack hunts cause I can't get enough calories inme to avoid weight loss... eating at home vs in the mountains is two different things.

That said, for backpacking I like sausage sticks, trail mix, lara bars, and fritos for my daytime snacking.
Weight loss on even a week long hunt is almost all water weight dude. Worst case you lose a pound or 2 of fat.. perfect 👍🏻

Edit- I take it back.. Fritos, junk bars, trail mix,. You are probably losing a pound of muscle too.. keep ur protein up when in a deficit or get skinny fat

Weight loss on even a week long hunt is almost all water weight dude. Worst case you lose a pound or 2 of fat.. perfect 👍🏻

Edit- I take it back.. Fritos, junk bars, trail mix,. You are probably losing a pound of muscle too.. keep ur protein up when in a deficit or get skinny fat
Muscles use carbs for fuel. Body builders need carbs to go with their protein or they don't gain muscle, and any endurance athlete is using carbs to get them through their event.

Snacks in the mountains need to have quickly accessible sugars via carbs or you bonk out... I get plenty of protein from the sausage sticks I suggested , my breakfasts, and my home made freeze dried dinners. Carbs are not bad. Your brain needs them to function, and so do your muscles. The suggestions I made are not "junk" when in an extended calorie burn scenario.

As for my personal weight loss, it's mostly because they cut my colon out 5 years ago and my overall nutrient aborption is lower than most.

taskswap

WKR
Not bragging or anything, but I think if you keep it simple, it isn't that hard to do as long as you don't do your shopping at the 7-11 or gas station. My typical snack is trail mix, and while I like to make my own (cashews, raisins, craisins, banana chips) even mass-market products are usually good because there's not much you can "process" with a nut. I also usually do a few packets of nut butter and a granola bar or two, plus a quarter pound of jerky. It all fits in a few baggies and usually lasts me a few days.

If I need to change it up, I'll do loose granola instead of bars (because I like the Bear Naked brand and that's how it comes). Sometimes I'll bring a packet of salmon, although usually only when not in bear territory. I can't eat most dried fruit but dried pineapple is good for a treat. If I want more treats I'll bring a few Honey Stingers, and lately I've been bringing "packaroons" - those coconut patties. One nice thing about these items is that they all have pretty long shelf-lives, although I don't keep leftover nuts post season because they can go rancid.

Altogether I figure I'll burn 3000cals on a typical day at my pace. I try to target 1200cals for dinner and 800 for lunch. I don't each breakfast (yes, yes, most important meal...) so I usually plan two snack breaks for about 500 apiece.

I used to pre-pack snack baggies but I'd find myself just eating the jerky from one. :D So lately i just make a baggie of each thing and graze on whatever I'm in the mood for.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
I guess I should have specified, im not trying to lose weight, just trying to improve general health by staying away from processed foods, unhealthy sugars, etc.

180ls1

WKR
I guess I should have specified, im not trying to lose weight, just trying to improve general health by staying away from processed foods, unhealthy sugars, etc.

The best thing you can do is track your macros, even if only for a week. It'll seriously change your life and your understanding of food forever. Seriously.

Also, its somewhat easy to go too extreme. Sugar/Simple carbs and sodium do play a role in nutrition and hydration so some people go overboard being "too healthy" to their determent.

Block

WKR
Muscles use carbs for fuel. Body builders need carbs to go with their protein or they don't gain muscle, and any endurance athlete is using carbs to get them through their event.

Snacks in the mountains need to have quickly accessible sugars via carbs or you bonk out... I get plenty of protein from the sausage sticks I suggested , my breakfasts, and my home made freeze dried dinners. Carbs are not bad. Your brain needs them to function, and so do your muscles. The suggestions I made are not "junk" when in an extended calorie burn scenario.

As for my personal weight loss, it's mostly because they cut my colon out 5 years ago and my overall nutrient aborption is lower than most.
Lara bars, Fritos, and trail mix (unless it’s home made) are all junk 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

JustinNC

FNG
The best thing you can do is track your macros, even if only for a week. It'll seriously change your life and your understanding of food forever. Seriously.

Also, its somewhat easy to go too extreme. Sugar/Simple carbs and sodium do play a role in nutrition and hydration so some people go overboard being "too healthy" to their determent.

Not a back country hunter or anything of the sort. Just a spectator of the sport(s) here. That said, my weight loss journey hit a couple week stand-still, and even gain for a couple weeks. I chalked it up to inflammation from beginning a gym program. Calories were in deficit with the lifestyle I had PRIOR to gym, and dang sure were in a deficit at that point.

I went back through my food log and singled out sodium trends. My trends from that day and the previous 28 days prior had picked up 58% than the previous 28 days before that.

The change? I had started implementing jerky and turkey (slim jim style) snack sticks in as a snack. Those two foods alone accounted for the jump in sodium levels. I subbed those out with less sodium dense snacks and weight started falling off again.

Block

WKR
Not a back country hunter or anything of the sort. Just a spectator of the sport(s) here. That said, my weight loss journey hit a couple week stand-still, and even gain for a couple weeks. I chalked it up to inflammation from beginning a gym program. Calories were in deficit with the lifestyle I had PRIOR to gym, and dang sure were in a deficit at that point.

I went back through my food log and singled out sodium trends. My trends from that day and the previous 28 days prior had picked up 58% than the previous 28 days before that.

The change? I had started implementing jerky and turkey (slim jim style) snack sticks in as a snack. Those two foods alone accounted for the jump in sodium levels. I subbed those out with less sodium dense snacks and weight started falling off again.
sodium from processed stuff and actual salt,,, are completely dif things.

Block

WKR
I can assure you that fat will not "back you up" or "slow your digestion", quite the opposite actually.
Fat is the slowest digesting macro.. period.. processed food backs you up,. Add em together and yeah.. but you can believe whatever high fat trend you want dude