Smallest Lightest Carabiners

Crews

FNG
Does anyone have any recommendations for small, light, but still functional carabiners?

I have line locks on loops that I can move around on my tarp as needed, but I’d happily tote around a few extra ounces to lower the piddle factor.

Macintosh

WKR
Define “functional”? Do you mean for
Life safety, like a climbing carabiner, or do you mean “stronger than a plastic buckle”?
You probably dont need 22kn to pitch a tarp?

Edelrid makes a 0.7oz full strength climbing carabiner. Most other climbing companies make one that is 0.8-0.9oz.

But an accessory biner is likely plenty strong for a tarp and is about 1/3-1/2 that, and cheaper. Hyperlite offers one, its like $3 and weighs a tenth of an ounce.

OP
Crews

Crews

FNG
Define “functional”?
Just looking for something to stretch a tarp with, I could maybe see the cheapest of cheap deforming over time with heavy wind loads?

I don’t mind spending a few extra bucks per unit if there’s something out there that actually lasts for a while vs a basically disposable item with gates that quit working 6 months down the road.

OP
Crews

Crews

FNG
Nothing is lighter and cheaper than 5 seconds to tie a bowline. Just practice a lot. Once you get good at them it hardware will quickly get left behind in all sorts of hobbies.
You’re talking to an Eagle Scout, pilgrim 🤣

I just don’t like messing with it. Like I said, I want to reduce the piddlin’ around. I don’t want to tie knots on the trail. Just clip my line locks to the tarp loops, and move on.

OP
Crews

Crews

FNG
If line locks are good enough for Hilleberg, not sure why you would need anything else?
I have line locks sewn into a webbing loop. Right now I am putting them on the tarp loops with a lark’s head. Works just fine, but getting them off and moving them around quickly gets very mildly irritating. Just wish I could clip them on with a tiny carabiner and be done with it.

rcb2000

WKR
I have line locks sewn into a webbing loop. Right now I am putting them on the tarp loops with a lark’s head. Works just fine, but getting them off and moving them around quickly gets very mildly irritating. Just wish I could clip them on with a tiny carabiner and be done with it.
Check these out,, also this site has lots of titanium hardware that might do the trick

Shane802

FNG
I use these for work and they hold up well. Kind of expensive for accessory carabiners but I haven’t had one break yet
IMG_7793.png

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ditch the loops and line locks and use a single taut-line hitch. It is lighter, faster, and simpler and instead of adding another item, you eliminate 2.

But, to answer your question, the Camp Dyon is about the lightest completely functional carabiner as hook noses are annoying. The Camp Nano or BD MiniWire are lighter.

While not functional as a carabiner, this is probably more like what you want. https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.c...3B7f0RNMuYobbJ8lv-DLkArMw6lF2kJhoCmtUQAvD_BwE

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Check out “Nite Ize” mini “S” biners or micro “s” biners. Nite Ize has lots of unique items that are pretty handy. I use several of there products and they are good quality.

Thanks. -Rufus

SonnyDay

WKR
Another Option:

I just bought a 4-pack so have not used them yet. But they seem about right for your use case…

l00p3y360

FNG
No hardware button knot. I use 2mm dacron line with tensile str 250lbs. I dont trust the grommets as they rip out way too easy.