Small calibers and copper (Barnes etc)

MThuntr

WKR
I have some 95gr Maker bullets loaded for my grendel. Velocity is a touch below 2700fps. I think it should have enough juice to function to 300. I might be able to stretch that but don't want to tempt fate.

With harder copper bullets like the Barnes, E-tip, and CX mind the minimum impact velocity of around 2000fps. Softer copper bullets like Hammer and Maker 1800fps seems to be the minimum velocity.

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I forgot some specs. It has a Stocky’s CF stock, Jefferson dm bottom metal, Badger bolt knob, Timney trigger, SRS arca, Talleys, Vortex LHT, Q Jumbo Shrimp can and brake. If I switched to Jefferson blind mag or hinged floorplate, it would be just under or right at 7 pounds, I haven’t re-weighed it with the LHT, it’s probably a few ounces over 7 now. The Q can cut like 2.5” off the OAL, so I went with a longer barrel. It’s roughy the same length now as it was with the old barrel cut to 16” and the old can. I have another one cut to 16” in the factory chassis, it’s nice and compact with the side folder, I’m thinking about selling that one now though.

SDHNTR

WKR
I shoot hogs with 62gr TTSX out of my .223 and it makes them dead just fine. I don’t do stupid stuff with it like trying to shoot 500 yards and I aim for bone, especially CNS bone.

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot some specs. It has a Stocky’s CF stock, Jefferson dm bottom metal, Badger bolt knob, Timney trigger, SRS arca, Talleys, Vortex LHT, Q Jumbo Shrimp can and brake. If I switched to Jefferson blind mag or hinged floorplate, it would be just under or right at 7 pounds, I haven’t re-weighed it with the LHT, it’s probably a few ounces over 7 now. The Q can cut like 2.5” off the OAL, so I went with a longer barrel. It’s roughy the same length now as it was with the old barrel cut to 16” and the old can. I have another one cut to 16” in the factory chassis, it’s nice and compact with the side folder, I’m thinking about selling that one now though.

Let me know if you sell the folder 16”. Definitely interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Well the gunbroker gods decided for me.

Looks like Winchester has shipped some stainless model 70 featherweights in 6.5 CM, even though they are not listed on their website.

Always thought they were pretty. Have one on the way.

I’m guessing 6.5 will work fine assuming shot placement etc. now I just need to decide on projectile.

OP
H
My 175gr Partitions have left some large holes on exit in several animals. On one buck I could have slid a softball through that exit hole.
My experience is with 165 gr in 30-06 at sub 100 yard ranges on a handful of deer.

I believe most if not all exits were narrow, however evidence of initial expansion was dramatic. I’m not saying it didn’t perform or expand, just that they tend to lose that front half and lay the remaining jacket petals flat along the remaining base.

I generally have experienced wider exits from 150 gr Barnes TTSX (and even greater from from core-loc, nosler BT, sierra GK) , but believe the partition is imparting more havoc up front.

I have some 95gr Maker bullets loaded for my grendel. Velocity is a touch below 2700fps. I think it should have enough juice to function to 300. I might be able to stretch that but don't want to tempt fate.

With harder copper bullets like the Barnes, E-tip, and CX mind the minimum impact velocity of around 2000fps. Softer copper bullets like Hammer and Maker 1800fps seems to be the minimum velocity.
I just shot some 95gr Maker T-Rex’s through my Howa Mini 6.5G today…..I was impressed.

MThuntr

WKR
Have you tried the 115gr Barnes Tac Tx yet? That’s the next one that I want to try out.
Not yet, I'll have to look into them (they look suspiciously like the Maker in design). I may try the rest of my Maker bullets with a new powder. I'm getting good results, though slower than I'd like, with 123 SST and it's hard to want to change from those especially for the price. Hammer bullets have worked for me in the past so I might make the switch there too.

6mm ARC Howa mini action arrived yesterday, I have a bunch of 106 TAC bullets ordered to see how they perform. For hunting I may try to find a Hammer Bullet that works though the 106 might be the right spot for deer.