Sling Studs and POI Shift

Can sling studs on the bottoms of forends cause a noticeable shift in impact by occasionally getting caught on a bag or pack when shooting over? Interested if this has been first-hand observed by anyone, or if it's just a bunch of theoretical nonsense.

I've never tried it in the past or attributed fliers with such a thing, and figured I'd try to deliberately do it next range trip, but figured I'd ask in the meantime.

Thanks!

Macintosh

WKR
Aside from foreend pressure causing barrel contact, Im assuming thats not what you meant…

Could it? Sure, if you compare free-ish recoil to “zero” movement because the stud is hung up on a more-or-less immoveable object. I havent ever found it to be an issue, but suspect in the right situation when everything aligns perfectly wrong, it could make a noticeable difference. But of the things that cause me to miss, I think its quite low on the list.

OP
K
I could only see that happening if your barrel isn't free floated properly and it causes contact

Aside from foreend pressure causing barrel contact, Im assuming thats not what you meant…

Could it? Sure, if you compare free-ish recoil to “zero” movement because the stud is hung up on a more-or-less immoveable object. I havent ever found it to be an issue, but suspect in the right situation when everything aligns perfectly wrong, it could make a noticeable difference. But of the things that cause me to miss, I think its quite low on the list.
Thanks guys, and gotcha.

Yes I recently heavily free-floated my two bolt guns, so no worries on barrel contact. More so hanging up on bags/pack and interfering with recoil.

Asking because I have a non-railed rokstok on order for my Tikka, and I much prefer standard swivels to QD flush cups. Was back and forth on pulling the studs and having flush cups installed just to have a slick forend if it benefits shooting.

Most of my hunting is SE treestand, where I prefer to keep things simple with binos, stand on my back, and maaaaaybeeee a small backpack, so no way to have a SG or kifaru gunbearer to keep rifle hands free for easy glassing thru timber.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks guys, and gotcha.

Yes I recently heavily free-floated my two bolt guns, so no worries on barrel contact. More so hanging up on bags/pack and interfering with recoil.

Asking because I have a non-railed rokstok on order for my Tikka, and I much prefer standard swivels to QD flush cups. Was back and forth on pulling the studs and having flush cups installed just to have a slick forend if it benefits shooting.

Most of my hunting is SE treestand, where I prefer to keep things simple with binos, stand on my back, and maaaaaybeeee a small backpack, so no way to have a SG or kifaru gunbearer to keep rifle hands free for easy glassing thru timber.
The bullet remains in the barrel after the trigger is pulled and after the recoil impulse has begun. So anything that could catch on recoil could potentially deflect the bullet POI. I do worry about this for precise long range shots off a bag. But in the tree stand hunting application, I’d spend my worry units elsewhere. No factor.

-J

Yes it can absolutely cause issues. I've seen it bappen. And it's also one of the reasons why swivel studs suck.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, Any resistance to the natural recoil path will influence accuracy. Its the reason some front rests have sling clearance grooves in them.