Slik Sprint Pro II tripod

Richf

FNG
Anyone have any hands on experience with this tripod? They have two versions one with a 3 way pan head and one with a ball head. In your opinion would I want the pan head or the ball head?

I currently have a Vanguard MARS 1 OS for table top and window use.

I'll be using the tripod with a Vanguard Endeavor HD 65S.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I have almost the exact set-up that you're looking into - only difference is I have the angled Endeavor; I'm running the ball head. I wish I had gotten a beefier tripod and head.

The set-up works, and I like the ball head over the pan head (but would have been fine with either); however, the tripod/head has a pretty low weight limit and if it's windy out and you have it extended up a good way it tends to bounce around quite a bit, and if I don't really crank down the head it has a tendency to "droop" backwards and wander off target. Because of this, I'm looking into replacing it with a carbon model that weighs about the same amount but has an increased load limit.

I thought about just replacing the head with something like an Oben 108t, which has an increased load limit and locking knobs for both the ball and panning (to eliminate the drooping issue), but they're about $75, and it still wouldn't make the tripod itself any more stable. Additionally, for $225 I could replace the whole set-up with something carbon like a Sirui T-025x or Oben CT-2431/2331 at about the same weight and they come with a double-locking head.

I'm going to hang onto the Slik and only use it with binoculars, maybe a little 50 mm spotter if I ever pick one up, but I would steer you towards something beefier for use with the 65mm Endeavor.

OP
R

Richf

FNG
Thanks for the info. It sounds like the slik may not be the way to go. Any other recommendations with extendable legs that have the lever style locks and not the twist style?

bbrown

WKR
I have the Slik Sprint Pro and its a great tripod for the money if you understand its limitations. Its light and compact for the back country and is plenty stable at sitting heights. Stretch it to full height and it will get shaky. The heads that come with these tripods are the weakest point in my opinion.

I ordered the version with the ball head and it worked fine with my smaller 50mm spotter but with my Swaro 65mm I experienced a lot of the same complaints as motts. So I upgraded to the Vanguard PH111v pan head and combined its a great set-up for the cost. Keep in mind I use 2 tripods and swap the pan head back and forth - Sprint Pro for the back country and Slik 700DX for around the truck for standing heights. My hunting buddy went with the Sprint Pro II with the 3-way head after using mine and really likes his.

For the money you will be hard pressed to find another option that offers the same advantages. Jump up another $100-200 and there are much better options. I recently picked up the Outdoorsman's med tripod and pistol grip - it is awesome and I'm sure it will last forever. However at almost $600 its hard to justify the added cost for the improvements.

Ray

WKR
I ditched the slik ball head after one season. The knobs are too small to provide the "just right" amount of pressure to easily move the 65mm spotter. It was either loose and hard to control or too tight to move which meant loosening it up and flopping around. I now use a Manfrotto 327RC2. I may eventually move to a pan head but most of my spotter use is not panning as I do that with binoculars.

OP
R

Richf

FNG
So it seems the tripod is decent for the money except at full height. With a head upgrade down the road I could be with a legit setup?

motts

Lil-Rokslider
So it seems the tripod is decent for the money except at full height. With a head upgrade down the road I could be with a legit setup?

I would say that is a fair statement. I may still get another head for mine, and when sitting/using it at lower levels like you would if glassing from a hillside it was fine. It's a good value but has its limitations.

JP100

WKR
This tripod has been my go to tripod for the last 2 years, use it with a Vortex razor 65mm at the moment.
Its nice and compact,light easy to use.
The ball head is pretty small and fiddly to use but I have stuck with it because its so small. I do not pan much with my spotter so its not so much of an issue for me.
At full height it is pretty average but how often do you glass standing up?
I would buy one again

I have a Manfrotto ball head on mine, and it was a huge improvement. In the scheme of things, it's huge upgrade from the typical cheap Nikon and other "hunting" tripods commonly seen, but not nearly as solid as the $200+ camera tripods. I've come close to wearing out the flick locks on mine over the last four years, and had to rebuild one of the leg hinges. I also removed the center section, as I found that to be pretty worthless.