Slight stiffness closing the bolt

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
I have some .243 loads that I made up with 87gr VLD's. I loaded about fifteen for a ladder test. I used a case gauge to measure the prepped cases before priming. I did NOT check them in my rifle chamber. The bolt requires ever-so-slightly more pressure to close that with an empty fired case. I can still close it with one finger, it just requires the tiniest bit more effort.

I'm new at reloading, and certainly learned a lesson here already, but am I ok shooting these loads? Rifle is a Savage 11 action with a Shilen sporter barrel. Thank you all in advance.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have some .243 loads that I made up with 87gr VLD's. I loaded about fifteen for a ladder test. I used a case gauge to measure the prepped cases before priming. I did NOT check them in my rifle chamber. The bolt requires ever-so-slightly more pressure to close that with an empty fired case. I can still close it with one finger, it just requires the tiniest bit more effort.

I'm new at reloading, and certainly learned a lesson here already, but am I ok shooting these loads? Rifle is a Savage 11 action with a Shilen sporter barrel. Thank you all in advance.
Are you saying that after firing, if you try to chamber the fired brass it’s harder to chamber? Thats standard. When you resize you need to bump the shoulder back .002-.003. Then it’ll close without additional effort.

OP
M

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
Are you saying that after firing, if you try to chamber the fired brass it’s harder to chamber? Thats standard. When you resize you need to bump the shoulder back .002-.003. Then it’ll close without additional effort.
No, I’m talking about my unfired handloads.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This, bump the shoulder back. Or, if many firings trim the neck.

Ucsdryder

WKR
No, I’m talking about my unfired handloads.
Ah ok. Yeah, you didn’t bump the shoulder back. Do you have a Hornady headspace gauge? Put a fired case in it, zero it, then continue to screw your sizing die until you get -.002 on your calipers.

OP
M

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
Ah ok. Yeah, you didn’t bump the shoulder back. Do you have a Hornady headspace gauge? Put a fired case in it, zero it, then continue to screw your sizing die until you get -.002 on your calipers.
I realized this after I primed and loaded the casings. Can I fire these or is it too dangerous?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I realized this after I primed and loaded the casings. Can I fire these or is it too dangerous?
All I can tell you is what I would do. If it were me and I wasn’t above pressure I’d fire away. I probably wouldn’t use them for load development or final zero. You can always pull the bullet and dump powder, remove your pin so you don’t pop out the primer, and size them correctly.

If it’s BARELY harder to close I wouldn’t worry. After 2-3 times of not bumping the shoulder, you won’t be able to close the bolt.

LaHunter

WKR

You are probably ok firing them, but what you can do is this:
Get a sharpie and color one of the unfired rounds, all of it, brass and bullet.
Chamber this round and then eject (without firing). Inspect round and see where the sharpie color is rubbed off. This will at least let you know where contact is being made.
If it is the bullet contacting the lands, this will likely increase pressure some. How much is hard to say.
If is is the brass being slightly oversized, probably isn't a big deal.