Sleeping pads

rpeebles

FNG
I'm looking to upgrade my sleeping pad. As I get older, weight is a little less important. What I really want is a good nights sleep and I'm willing to carry a little extra weight. I have some lower back issues and I tend to sleep on my side, With my old Therm-a-rest pad my arms would fall asleep causing me to wake up. I'm curious what others are doing. Any thoughts? Thanks gang.

I just ordered a Nemo astro insulated 25L. If you are on the western slope of colorado you are welcome to try it out.

I know what you mean about the arms falling off the pad. Ive discovered I have sensitive elbows. If they touch the ground, they get cold & I stay awake. How weird is that? Don't know of any air mattresses short of a queen size that would help guys like us, so I take any clothes Im not wearing, roll them up & put them on each side of my x-lite. This works great for me since I sleep in either a bivy or a one man tent. Hope this helps.

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
Stephenson Warmlite makes a very warm comfy down air mat at 28" wide and 26 ounces. Or if comfort is really more important than weight, Exped makes a 30" wide, 49 ounce pad (Synmat 12LXW). If you can get by with a 25" wide pad, the Neoair Xtherm Max or soon to be released Exped Winterlites would be the ticket.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite is the Thermarest NeoAir X-Therm. Get the XL so your arms don't lay on the ground. Well over 100 nights on mine so far.

1hoda

Banned
I second the X - Therm. It's warm!!!! and light too! To solve the elbows off the side issue I just lay a piece of clothing, etc on each side to level it out - problem solved. For full disclosure, my son has the same pad and went back to a foam one because it's too "crinkly" sounding for him, a light sleeper.