Sleeping pads

Was wondering your guys opinions on a sleeping pad. I'm not sure wether or not to go with the syn mat 7 ul for $110 or the 2011 thermorest prolite for $60 there is only a couple of ounces difference. I've had a thermorest for years so I'm kinda partial and can vouch for there durability, but the extra r-value from the syn mat is a nice plus. What do you think?

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
For me, the 2.5 inch pads like the UL7 or Neoair are WAY more comfortable. Plus, they're lighter, warmer, and take up less pack space.

Ozz08

WKR
I'm going with the ul 7 this year. I picked it up right after my hunting trips last year so I haven't used it much yet. But it is super light and takes up very little space for the thickness and the added comfort that should come along with that.

OP
H
Guess Ill pull the trigger on an exped, thats what I was leaning towards anyways. Thanks

slim9300

WKR
Guess Ill pull the trigger on an exped, thats what I was leaning towards anyways. Thanks

You will love the Exped UL 7. I have had mine since last spring and it's nearly as nice as my DownMat 9 Pump DLX and that's staying a lot considering it's 27.7 ounces lighter. ;)

I am running the Exped Synmat UL 7 and I LOVE it. Best night sleep in the backcountry I have had in years. I do think that the ProLite may have a little better construction as far as durability which is where the weight difference is.

Big Agnes insul air core. Been using one for hunting and camping and all summer long firefighting. Tough mat and you sleep like a king.

slim9300

WKR
Big Agnes insul air core. Been using one for hunting and camping and all summer long firefighting. Tough mat and you sleep like a king.

You may get cold when the temps drop into the 20s and 30s. The R-value on that pad is 1.0. That means it provides zero insulating ability and you are losing body heat like crazy to the ground. I feel like 3.0 is the minimum R-value I look for in a late Sept. hunting pad, with 5.0 being more ideal. (ie. SynMat UL 7 versus DownMat UL 7)

Most people don't realize that a pad is actually more important to staying warm (ie. retaining body heat) in the backcountry than your sleeping bag.

Last edited:

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
You may get cold when the temps drop into the 20s and 30s. The R-value on that pad is 1.0. That means it provides zero insulating ability and you are losing body heat like crazy to the ground. I feel like 3.0 is the minimum R-value I look for in a late Sept. hunting pad, with 5.0 being more ideal. (ie. SynMat UL 7 versus DownMat UL 7)

Most people don't realize that a pad is actually more important to staying warm (ie. retaining body heat) in the backcountry than your sleeping bag.

I'm pretty sure the R value of the BA IAC is more like 4.1...

GJ Dave

FNG
Exped ul 7 for me. Have also used BA insulated air core that has worked great except for it being a liittle slow to deflate. A couple dots of silicon has helped to keep the pad from sliding if that has become a problem for anyone.

slim9300

WKR
I'm pretty sure the R value of the BA IAC is more like 4.1...

I missed the insulated part in his post. My bad. BA makes an Air Core too. I was confused.

The main downfall of the IAC is its weight. Even the mummy is 21 ounces but the full rectangle pad is 24 ounces.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
All you guys and your noisy air pads :)

Once you sleep on air you will never go back. Lol.

At least I don't have the Neo Air. That's the noisiest pad on the planet. It reminded me if tin foil. The UL 7 is easily bearable compared to it. ;)