Sleeping pad options

lak2004

WKR
Just use my wife's exped ultra 7r for 3rd rifle in CO. Coldest might was in the teens and it was a great pad. I'll have that for colder hunts but am looking for something a little lighter and less bulky for archery season.

2 options im considering in the 4.x R value ranges:
Nemo tensor insulated
Big Agnes zoom ul

Anyone have both? I've read about the durability issues with Nemo but that seems resolved maybe. How about noise?

I'll probably grab something in the lower R value range (2-3) for a warmer weather option also.

Noise is something that makes me crazy with pads, so thermarest seem like a no go.

Other options I should consider?
Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
All pads make noise to some extent. The Xlite NXT is far and away the best pad in that class, but you've already eliminated it from consideration.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
All pads make noise to some extent. The Xlite NXT is far and away the best pad in that class, but you've already eliminated it from consideration.

I'll look into it more. I just hope it's not like the xtherm

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR

I'm curious why you think this though? Specs wise, it's 2oz heavier than the big Agnes (17 oz) and a bulkier packed dimension than it also for the same cost. Thermarest is 4.5 r value and big Agnes is 4.3.

Tensor is 4.2 r value and 22 Oz.

I know specs don't capture the whole picture so that's why I'm here asking. My experience with pads is limited to the exped ultra 7r and a few crappy klymits (still have the insulated static v and it's not ery comfortable to me).

Thanks for the insight. Might have to bite the bullet and buy 3 or 4 to test out and go from there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm curious why you think this though? Specs wise, it's 2oz heavier than the big Agnes (17 oz) and a bulkier packed dimension than it also for the same cost. Thermarest is 4.5 r value and big Agnes is 4.3.

Tensor is 4.2 r value and 22 Oz.

I know specs don't capture the whole picture so that's why I'm here asking. My experience with pads is limited to the exped ultra 7r and a few crappy klymits (still have the insulated static v and it's not ery comfortable to me).

Thanks for the insight. Might have to bite the bullet and buy 3 or 4 to test out and go from there.
20x72 Zoom UL is 14oz, 20x72 Xlite is 13oz. 25x78 Zoom UL is 180z, 25x77 Xlite is 17oz. Not sure which Xlite you are comparing unless you are comparing the Xlite Max 25x77 which is 20oz compared to the Zoom UL 25x78 18oz. I've had bad luck with BA pads leaking air, supposedly they fixed that issue though. Thermarest is made in the US, that's also a big plus. 30d material on the Xlite, BA doesn't say what their material is. The new Thermarest pads are quieter than the older ones. Best thing to do is go to REI or somewhere similar and compare several side by side.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
20x72 Zoom UL is 14oz, 20x72 Xlite is 13oz. 25x78 Zoom UL is 180z, 25x77 Xlite is 17oz. Not sure which Xlite you are comparing unless you are comparing the Xlite Max 25x77 which is 20oz compared to the Zoom UL 25x78 18oz. I've had bad luck with BA pads leaking air, supposedly they fixed that issue though. Thermarest is made in the US, that's also a big plus. 30d material on the Xlite, BA doesn't say what their material is. The new Thermarest pads are quieter than the older ones. Best thing to do is go to REI or somewhere similar and compare several side by side.

Thanks I'll have to check my sleeping pad spreadsheet to see which one I was looking at. Appreciate your breakdown. The next question for me will be do I get a pro deal on thermarest, that might make up my mind.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Big Agnes insulated. quiet, comfy, easy inflate/deflate

I've got several Thermarest inflatables that make so much noise my kids wont sleep on 'em. I tried to force them both and they slept on the bare tent floor instead. I took the hint and bought everyone a Big Agnes and now no one complains, especially not the dogs.

CJ AK

FNG
Big Agnes insulated. quiet, comfy, easy inflate/deflate

I've got several Thermarest inflatables that make so much noise my kids wont sleep on 'em. I tried to force them both and they slept on the bare tent floor instead. I took the hint and bought everyone a Big Agnes and now no one complains, especially not the dogs.
Which model do you like Larry? I've been eyeing the Zoom UL. Has the specs I want and seems to be generally liked

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
The newer Xlites aren't that noisy now, and their are a few tricks to quiet them down as well. It's not on your list, but the xlite gets my vote and if you look around it's probably one of the most recommended Pads. I also have the uberlite and xtherm. Love all 3 of them, and each one has its time and place depending on time of year, and where I'm at.

LionHead

WKR
I'll look into it more. I just hope it's not like the xtherm
The newer XTherm NXT is quieter than the older Xtherm, I have both and agree the older version was "crunchy"

I've tried bigA, Exped and Nemo but ive gone back to the xtherm NXT. I just get better sleep on them.

If I had to choose a 2nd it would be Nemo Cosmo insulated, or whatever they are calling it now

Good luck, pad search can be expensive and a pain in the but

jt4

WKR
I had a lot of trouble with the previous version of X therm. Each night it seemed to lose just enough air that I would bottom it out and end up essentially sleeping on the ground.

It made me go to a big agnes that’s thicker to try and keep off the ground.

fshaw

WKR
Another vote for the Thermarest NXTs. I had the 1st gen XLites and they were very noisy. After a fair amount of research I bought an XTherm NXT for a Grand Canyon river trip with follow on use for backpack hunting. Noise is now not an issue (for me) and I really like the pad a lot. The newer pads also use a new valve system with a pump sack instead of mouth or electric pump inflation. Lastly, I had an issue with my XTherm pad more than 6 after purchase and about 25days of use. Thermarest went above and beyond to make it right without cost to me. Very pleased and impressed by their warranty and customer service. The NXT series of pads are worth a look and are very different than the original XLites and their weights are hard to beat.

Good luck.

Frank

LionHead

WKR
I had a lot of trouble with the previous version of X therm. Each night it seemed to lose just enough air that I would bottom it out and end up essentially sleeping on the ground.

It made me go to a big agnes that’s thicker to try and keep off the ground.
You have a pin hole leak. Fill it up and submerged in a tub or do the spray bottle with soap and look for bubbles.

They will warranty the valve or $20 to patch a hole. Mine was a few years old and did the same thing. I sent it in hoping to get a warranty for the newer pad but $20 later they patched a pin hole I couldn't locate. Makes a good spare or kids pad now

CEG017

FNG
Does anyone on here have experience with the Exped Ultra 5R? Hoping to learn more about the pad and if you recommend it.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Does anyone on here have experience with the Exped Ultra 5R? Hoping to learn more about the pad and if you recommend it.
Based on my use of the 7r you can't go wrong with exped. I'll find my comparison doc and post a screenshot of it.