Sleeping Bags (Down or Synthetic)

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get a new bag and pad this year. I've narrowed it down to the Marmot Helium and the Kifaru Slickbag 20*. Which would you go with and why? It would exclusively be used for back country (bivy or small tent) in September. I would say average nights temp run from 28-45.

I've used a northface sleeping bag the last two years that is too heavy and not warm enough when it really dips.

cmeier117

WKR
Kifaru Duh.... Seriously though when I buy another bag it will be a K bag. Weight is the same and Kifaru is actually a little cheaper and for me synthetic is better because I hunt and camp in Oregon... I practically sleep out in the rain when I go out.

Lawnboi

WKR
Right now im running a 0 degree marmot lithium.... i want to get rid of it, its too warm for anything over single digits for me, causing alot of condensation from sweat ect.... Im looking at getting a 20 degree slick bag, And if that works like iv been hearing it does, ill be done with down for a while. Seem like synthetic insution has come far enough now to where ther is not too much of a difference between the 2.

Anyone want to trade?

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get a new bag and pad this year. I've narrowed it down to the Marmot Helium and the Kifaru Slickbag 20*. Which would you go with and why? It would exclusively be used for back country (bivy or small tent) in September. I would say average nights temp run from 28-45.

I've used a northface sleeping bag the last two years that is too heavy and not warm enough when it really dips.

I have both of these bags and my son and I used them for the first time this past Sept. in Colorado. We swapped out a few nights in each and both were comfortable; though I do like to sleep in a base layer to combat that clammy feeling you get with synthetic material whether it's down or synthetic. The K bag was a bit roomier and I believe just a tad heavier. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Backcountry.com has some good sales from time to time with the Marmot.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd like to try a slickbag, but don't seeing that make it to the top of the gear purchase list anytime soon. I'll stick with Western Mountaineering and Wiggy's for now

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have been using the Slik bad off and on for the last 2 season. It's the only bag I suggest anymore if someone wants a synthetic.

The Kifaru bag comes in Multicam now and that makes me feel tougher :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using the Slik bad off and on for the last 2 season. It's the only bag I suggest anymore if someone wants a synthetic.

The Kifaru bag comes in Multicam now and that makes me feel tougher :)

Plus people can't find ya when your sleeping, you blend right in sleeping in a floorless shelter no doubt!!! :D

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
and when the occasion arises, I can do a combat roll out of the bivy and come out with arrows a flying like a ninja!

bowinhand

WKR
Saving up for a new one but until then it's my old REI Radiant +10 down bag. Been looking at the Western Mountaineering bags.