Sleeping bag upgrade

bmart2622

WKR
I am debating upgrading or I guess adding to my sleeping bag collection and looking for a little insight from some other hard core guys. My current go to bag is a Mountain Hardware ultralamina 15 degree bag. If I were to buy a new one I have narrowed it down to Sierra Designs dri down cal13, Enlightened equipment enigma 10 degree or Zpacks 10 degree. Any thoughts?

boom

WKR
i have a WM bag as well. i got the Alpenlite, for the extra space in case i wear alot of clothing in my bag. i fit in the ultralite bag perfectly fine, i just hate that "Sausage" feeling of a well fitting bag. (hope i dont freeze). i just got the bag. my first go will be in Nov..and then really use it on a 10 day AZ hunt in Jan..i typically freeze my ass in AZ. hope this changes everything. it is a 20 deg bag.

it is so well made. super puffy, and i can cram it into a much smaller stuff sack than the one provided.

the Down is not treated. i got it at some camping store in Portland OR. no sales tax, and they had a store-wide 25% sale. i was not leaving without a bag.. i think they make them somewhere near my town. bay area, CA..

Not to hijack the thread, but anybody using the Kifaru Slick Bag? I also have been considering trying something new with a little more insulation (I currently use a MH Ultralamina 32) I'm thinking about the 20 degree Slick. The Slick only weighs 3 oz. more than my MH.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Havent used any of the ones you listed. I use a Western Mountaineering badger (its a 15deg bag) and a Silk Liner. Its plenty warm for me during the September Elk Season. I really like the little extra girth!

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Western Mountaineering Ultralight 20 degree bag. It weighs 34 oz in a Kifaru 5 string stuff sack. Its never let me down in many seasons of use.

Browtine

WKR
Not to hijack the thread, but anybody using the Kifaru Slick Bag? I also have been considering trying something new with a little more insulation (I currently use a MH Ultralamina 32) I'm thinking about the 20 degree Slick. The Slick only weighs 3 oz. more than my MH.

My buddy has a 0 Slick and thinks the rating is waaaay generous. He doesn't feel like it's as warm as his Marmot 20 degree down bag.

Does WM have a treated down option?

I don't think they have treated down, but they do offer Gore shells for more protection. The Apache would make a nice bag if you're worried about moisture. I currently have an Antelope and have an Alpenlite on the wish list.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Do those of you with quilts feel like you miss the hood of a mummy bag? Does your head and neck get cold?

Rucker61

WKR
Do those of you with quilts feel like you miss the hood of a mummy bag? Does your head and neck get cold?

I wear a beanie, and I also have a neck gaiter which I haven't needed yet. I also have the Seek Outside version with the draft collar. Only thing that gets cold is the tip of my nose, and a bag wouldn't help there.

I wear a beanie, and I also have a neck gaiter which I haven't needed yet. I also have the Seek Outside version with the draft collar. Only thing that gets cold is the tip of my nose, and a bag wouldn't help there.

SO makes a quilt? Do they show it on their website?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I would take a hard look at WM with the GWS. I have a badger and it's very water resistant. It's a 15 degree bag that I've slept warm down to 9 degrees with only merino on.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
The alpinlite looks pretty sweet, I especially like the extra room in the shoulders, it would shave around 10oz off my pack weight, where as the quilt would be well over a pound. I am just so unfamiliar with the quilts and I would hate to find out it is not right for me when I am deep in the backcountry. Ive got until spring to figure it out I guess.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The alpinlite looks pretty sweet, I especially like the extra room in the shoulders, it would shave around 10oz off my pack weight, where as the quilt would be well over a pound. I am just so unfamiliar with the quilts and I would hate to find out it is not right for me when I am deep in the backcountry. Ive got until spring to figure it out I guess.

I run an Alpinelite a bunch.....great bag for sure.

Stresd

FNG
You will love the GooseHood in really cold weather. Works excellent with the Zpack bag. I also wear mine around camp when it is really cold. Far warmer than my Puffy hood

boom

WKR

what i didnt expect from the Alpenlite. was how much easier it was to zip up. when i bought my bag, i laid them all out, kicked off my shoes, laid out a sleeping pad and tried them all. i bet i had 5-6 bags out. the sales person was pretty cool. when i got to the alpenlite, the thing felt pretty voluminous. especially at the shoulders. the extra room, let me zip the bag up easy. none of those crazy nameste yoga moves i typically need to get the zipper moving. i have a permanently sore shoulder. zip! done! what helped was; WM puts some mysterious stiff backing adjacent to the zipper, so it is semi rigid and holds the zipper clear of the bag material. i love it. nothing more humiliating than having to call your younger brother to help rescue you from a caught up zipper, in a tight mummy, because you just gave yourself a shoulder spasm. haha. (it's never happened).

i went into that store thinking i was going to buy a Feathered Friends bag. same dimensions. getting to try the bag before buying was priceless.