Sleeping bag repair

TheCougar

WKR
I am looking for someone to repair my Stone Glacier 15 bag. My first trip using it and a large hole got melted into the foot box from a stove. The hole is about the size of an outspread hand and covers a couple of baffles. Is recovered all the down and covered the hole in gorilla tape, but it’s a very expensive bag and I’m trying to salvage it. It doesn’t need to be pretty, only functional. Send me your champions…

@pods8 (Rugged Stitching) IMG_6097.jpeg

Poser

WKR
My repair guy is currently not accepting any gear as he landed a sewing subcontract from a manufacturer.
A hole that size in that location, I'd be tempted to replace the existing Gorilla tape with clear gorilla tape which lighter, and call it good. A panel of similar fabric, however, could be sewn in. In fact, you could just buy a panel of fabric and hand sew in place as a patch. Gonna lose the baffling there, but maybe not big enough of a surface area to matter.

sndmn11

WKR
If they can't repair, I'd just tenacious tape it and seal the edge with aqua seal. I've got a bunch of small patches done that way in our WM that are a few years old, and they seem fine. I can't imagine the nylons are drastically different.

S.Clancy

WKR
If they can't repair, I'd just tenacious tape it and seal the edge with aqua seal. I've got a bunch of small patches done that way in our WM that are a few years old, and they seem fine. I can't imagine the nylons are drastically different.
If I was at home I would show you my patch job. I basically did the same thing OP did, except on the hood. I did the ol Tenacious Tape and gorilla tape repair in the field. Then, at home I did the tenacious tape and aquaseal around the edge, sumbitch has held for 5 years with no sign of giving up. I routinely take that bag (15F) to it temps rating and below and don't even think about my patch.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
If I was at home I would show you my patch job. I basically did the same thing OP did, except on the hood. I did the ol Tenacious Tape and gorilla tape repair in the field. Then, at home I did the tenacious tape and aquaseal around the edge, sumbitch has held for 5 years with no sign of giving up. I routinely take that bag (15F) to it temps rating and below and don't even think about my patch.
I am surprised. I wouldn’t think that would hold up to being stuffed/unstuffed and violently compressed in a compression sack.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Which version of aquaseal did you use?

S.Clancy

WKR
Which version of aquaseal did you use?
Just normal Aquaseal, not UV.

It has a ton of nights on it since then, over 100. I slept in that bag -10F two yrs ago (layered with puffys) and the hood was fine. I'll send a pic of the patch I did when I get back from deer hunting next Weds.