Sleeping Bag Recommendations

TAG22

FNG
I recently picked up a Seek Outside Cimarron + SXL Stove and will be doing a 3rd season hunt here in Colorado. I am curious what sleeping bags you all run? I’m debating getting a 15 degree and using my down coat and pants if I need them for warmth. Thoughts?

HNTR918

WKR
I have a Redcliff with SXL stove.

For 3rd & 4th Colorado seasons I run a Thermarest Xtherm NXT pad, and 0 degree 950 fill power Enlightened Equipment quilt.

I has a 15 degree bag before, even with my puffy jacket and pants on would still get chills at night. So I went to 0 degree. Also, make sure you get a good fill power 900+.

The stove works well to get the chill out, and dry things out, but won't keep heat thru the night.
I'd recommend buying the extra dampener attachment if you haven't already to control the burn rate and make the stove burn longer.

Get a bed of coals made while eating dinner, then fill the entire stove with wrist size thick logs, then turn the front damper and pipe damper down. This should let it burn for up to 4 hours.

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
I have a Redcliff with SXL stove.

For 3rd & 4th Colorado seasons I run a Thermarest Xtherm NXT pad, and 0 degree 950 fill power Enlightened Equipment quilt.

The stove works well to get the chill out, and dry things out, but won't keep heat thru the night.
I'd recommend buying the extra dampener attachment if you haven't already to control the burn rate and make the stove burn longer.

Get a bed of coals made while eating dinner, then fill the entire stove with wrist size thick logs, then turn the front damper and pipe damper down. This should let it burn for up to 4 hours.
Thanks! Any reason you prefer the quilt over a bag? I do have the extra dampener so I am covered there. I did go with the SXL even though I have a smaller tipi for that reason to hopefully be able get a little more time over night on the burn although I fully expect that it wouldn’t go through the night.

HNTR918

WKR
I'm a stomach and side sleeper, and in extreme cold I can pull the quilt over my head so my entire body is enclosed.

Also, with a sleeping bag and down you lay on is a waste of weight and doesn't keep you warmer.

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
I'm a stomach and side sleeper, and in extreme cold I can pull the quilt over my head so my entire body is enclosed.

Also, with a sleeping bag and down you lay on is a waste of weight and doesn't keep you warmer.
That makes a ton of sense actually … now you have me rethinking a bag. Cool!

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I use a SG Chilkoot 15 and it is all of the 15 degree rated and more. I am also a side sleeper and get by fine with it. Full disclosure I have not used a quilt though.. best of luck. Lots of reviews to search and find on here.

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
I use a SG Chilkoot 15 and it is all of the 15 degree rated and more. I am also a side sleeper and get by fine with it. Full disclosure I have not used a quilt though.. best of luck. Lots of reviews to search and find on here.
I was looking at the 15 degree chill pot before the thought of a quilt came up …

*zap*

WKR
I like to sleep comfortably without wearing much clothes...I definitely do not want to wear outers to bed just to be comfortable......ymmv.

rayporter

WKR
I recently picked up a Seek Outside Cimarron + SXL Stove and will be doing a 3rd season hunt here in Colorado. I am curious what sleeping bags you all run? I’m debating getting a 15 degree and using my down coat and pants if I need them for warmth. Thoughts?
there are many years your plan will work fine. but if it turns cold you will want a better bag or else you will be up all night stoking the fire.

your pad will be very very important, too.

my old hunting pard could take a 20 degree bag in zero temps and just use part of the bag over his chest. you must know how you sleep. testing is the only way to get the experience.

archp625

WKR
Anytime a question comes up on sleeping bags for this type of season. I will recommend a high R value pad, X-Therm is what I have used and have had good luck. As far as bag, I would recommend a WM Badger. That combo works very well.

I love the Nemo bags. I currently have 3 of them. Nemo stalker 0 degree is my go to. I like the gills for temp regulation. I have had it in colorado and Idaho elk hunting and bear hunting and on a 10 day alaskan moose hunt. I am taking it to Alaska again in a few weeks.

3rd season in CO isn't the time to experiment with a quilt. Quilt might work great for you and it might leave you freezing your ass off in sub zero temps. I've hunted 2nd and 3rd season multiple times and it was sub zero every night with -15 not out of the question.

The OP did not say whether he was backpack hunting or doing a drop or base camp. If I am backpacking, I am carrying some kind of down bag for weight considerations. Otherwise, I will bring one of my Wiggy's sythetic bags. They are very well made and very warm. For my Idaho Elk hunt this fall (where I'll be sleeping at base camp near my vehicle), I am packing my Wiggy's Ultima Thule Hunter. It is rated -20, and it is ridiculously comfortable. It is bulky, but the compression stuff sack it comes with helps.

OP
TAG22

TAG22

FNG
The OP did not say whether he was backpack hunting or doing a drop or base camp. If I am backpacking, I am carrying some kind of down bag for weight considerations. Otherwise, I will bring one of my Wiggy's sythetic bags. They are very well made and very warm. For my Idaho Elk hunt this fall (where I'll be sleeping at base camp near my vehicle), I am packing my Wiggy's Ultima Thule Hunter. It is rated -20, and it is ridiculously comfortable. It is bulky, but the compression stuff sack it comes with helps.
Good call out, I am planning to backpack in so weight is a consideration!

Decker9

WKR
I run both western mountaineering and Taiga works out of Vancouver. Taiga is 100% on par with WM, at half the price, worth a look if you’re looking at down.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I run both western mountaineering and Taiga works out of Vancouver. Taiga is 100% on par with WM, at half the price, worth a look if you’re looking at down.
Which Taiga do you have? I have been eyeing them and the WM Badger