Sleeping bag help, wiggys? Quilt?

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a sleeping system for a mid September Colorado (10,000-12,000ft) backcountry bow hunt. I have been looking at quilts and at different bags. I am starting from scratch so saving a little money where I am would help since I have no backpacking gear.
I noticed Wiggys lite and ultra lite are on sale for 150 and 140. Any experience with these? Are they any good? Price seems good. Also I was thinking about going with 0 verse a 20(a buddy's advice) seems I could always unzip and vent easier then trying to sleep in layers, what is your thoughts on that.
Is there any other ideas for brands without spending $400?
As a bonus, give me opinions on pads.
Thanks

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Wiggys are too heavy for backpacking.. They are great for wet weather though (synthetic). Kifaru makes center zip synthetic too. Check out ee quilts - very light down quilt - just keep it dry.. Or get synthetic quilt..
Thermarest x-therm for a pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
I'm not sure on the wiggys but I recommend and enlightened equipment quilt every time this comes up. I got a 20 used here for $200 and I would never go back to a bag. I've seen a couple since that were in the $185 range. I'm happy with the 20 but I would go with a lower rating rather than a higher one if I had to change. I think 0 would be overkill for Colorado in September if that's your only use.

As far as pads go I think the klymit insulated pads are a good value. I have an exped synmat hyper light I think but j found it at rei for super cheap. Anything with an r value of like 3.5+ should be ok. The higher the better. I always put my pad inside the foot bed of my quilt and wrap the quilt around it all the way up and then buckel in place. Never had an issue with drafts.

mlob1one

WKR
This question has a few variables that will assist in providing information particular to your hunt.
1. How far are you going to backpack in with your gear?
2. How much weight for a sleep system is acceptable?
3. Have you had experience with a quilt, hunting at 10k elevation plus (I assume you meant October or November this year or September of next year) in Colorado?
4. How many nights out in the backcountry on this and future hunts?

My advice is not to cut corners on your sleep system and go as nice as you can afford. Even if this is a one off hunt you'll find guys will be happy to buy your gear after your hunt if you want to offload it.

If you have not used a quilt before, late Fall in the Colorado mountains is not the time to experiment. I have not taken the time, effort, & dough to experiment with quilts.

Expect inclement weather. Snow, sleet, rain, the works. Best bag for that would be a 0 degree Kifaru slick bag. It's better to have a bag that it's warm and open it up than to be too cold. I have not made the switch to a synthetic bag yet and love my montbell 800 downhugger bags. Their seams stretch and give me tons of mobility so that I can sleep comfortably. If I was in your situation I'd bring my #1 (15 degree bag) & my #3 (30"degree bag) & double them up. The big issue with down as you probably know is that if/when they get wet, you're cold. Which leads me back to the zero degree slick bag.

For sleeping mats I would look long and hard at the ExPed UL Synmat 9 for this hunt. (Mine is a long wide and I'm 6' 205#.) The r value of 6 is exceptional and enough to keep you warm down to -14. At 28oz it's not the lightest, but it's by far the most comfortable I have found. The regular size, M, is 21 oz.

Short answer for me would be to go with the best you can afford because CO high country can be nasty and the last thing I would want is to be wet, cold, & sleeping poorly.
Good luck and report back on what you decided upon.
-Mike

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You may not need as much bag (low temp rating) as you initially think. I always sleep with my base layer (thin merino) on and in colder weather I sleep with my secondary layer on. Doing so is definitely a way to sleep warmer with less bag insulation.

I would personally have no problem shopping classifieds or auctions for a used bag. A lot of guys dump their gear before it's well used and you can find excellent deals on well known brands. Sometimes you can buy a better bag and spend less money. The key is doing research and knowing what you're looking at.

I like down bags. Part of your bag selection should certainly be decided by the shelter it occupies. If you don't have that figured out, I would hold on the bag until I knew what shelter.

Don't skimp on a sleeping pad. A good pad is a bit pricey but just as critical to sleeping well as a good bag. My favorite is the Exped lineup and particularly the DownMat series.

I hear you on your tight budget. I am one who wouldn't recommend you spend more than you know is good for you or your family. Shop hard and look for deals. I believe I could take $300 and buy a bag + pad which would meet my needs in the conditions you describe.

kodiakfly

WKR
Wiggy's and quilts aren't often or ever in the same discussion. They're apples and oranges. I'm a Wiggy's guy, but that said, they are not the best choice for many or even most outings. I'm on Kodiak, so "wet" is always a consideration and that's where Wiggy's shine. People make them sound like they're huge and weigh 20 lbs, but it's not that bad. They are a bigger package, but I can still get mine down to a packable size. But they do weigh more. They weigh more because they are a bigger bag (another reason I like them...I fit comfortably in them) with more material in them. If anything, their listed weights on the website are on the "optimistic" side. The price on Wiggy's are nice, but if I were going to have someone buy a Wiggy's, I'd get one from Wiggy's Alaska, which offer slightly different bags than the main Wiggy's site. I use the Glacier Hunter from their Alaska store, which is a 15* bag, but closer to a 5 or 10* bag. Slightly different fabric and dispersion of fill. Just spent two weeks in that bag on a hunt and it's a gem to sleep in.

So that said, September Colorado, hike in, I don't think Wiggy's would be your best bet. I use a MH UltraLamina 20 if I'm carrying it in. MH makes good bags that won't drain your bank account. And I understand the budget thing, but like has been said, don't scrimp on sleep systems. Sleep/rest/recouperation during a long hunt are often underrated. Getting good sleep makes you a better hunter the next day and allows you to push hard today, knowing you've got a good night sleep ahead of you.

Like also said, you may not need the temp rating you think you do. I like to sleep in my base layer and dry it out in the bag, as well as not have to put it on cold in the morning. That for sure adds a few degrees to my sleep rating.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
This question has a few variables that will assist in providing information particular to your hunt.
1. How far are you going to backpack in with your gear?
2. How much weight for a sleep system is acceptable?
3. Have you had experience with a quilt, hunting at 10k elevation plus (I assume you meant October or November this year or September of next year) in Colorado?
4. How many nights out in the backcountry on this and future hunts?

My advice is not to cut corners on your sleep system and go as nice as you can afford. Even if this is a one off hunt you'll find guys will be happy to buy your gear after your hunt if you want to offload it.

If you have not used a quilt before, late Fall in the Colorado mountains is not the time to experiment. I have not taken the time, effort, & dough to experiment with quilts.

Expect inclement weather. Snow, sleet, rain, the works. Best bag for that would be a 0 degree Kifaru slick bag. It's better to have a bag that it's warm and open it up than to be too cold. I have not made the switch to a synthetic bag yet and love my montbell 800 downhugger bags. Their seams stretch and give me tons of mobility so that I can sleep comfortably. If I was in your situation I'd bring my #1 (15 degree bag) & my #3 (30"degree bag) & double them up. The big issue with down as you probably know is that if/when they get wet, you're cold. Which leads me back to the zero degree slick bag.

For sleeping mats I would look long and hard at the ExPed UL Synmat 9 for this hunt. (Mine is a long wide and I'm 6' 205#.) The r value of 6 is exceptional and enough to keep you warm down to -14. At 28oz it's not the lightest, but it's by far the most comfortable I have found. The regular size, M, is 21 oz.

Short answer for me would be to go with the best you can afford because CO high country can be nasty and the last thing I would want is to be wet, cold, & sleeping poorly.
Good luck and report back on what you decided upon.
-Mike

The hunt will be next September, I'm am trying to buy gear throughout the year so it won't be as painful.
We will be horseback packing in couple miles then going on foot what my buddy says is 6 hour hike. If there isn't elk they have picked up and went further in though.

If I could get setup for $300 I would be stoked! I have been watching classifieds and for sales. I just happened to see the Wiggys sale and thought I would see what you guys thought.

Lil-Rokslider
Wiggy's are awesome but do weight a little more. I have been using Wiggy's since 2000. Also if your military they use to give like a 50% discount.

mlob1one

WKR
I totally understand wanting to keep within a budget.
For CO backcountry however, I would not compromise on a sleep system. You could find gear that may work, but having confidence when it's all on you allows you to focus on the hunt and not stress/worry about being warm enough or what the weather is going to do. Great job on being proactive and planning ahead.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I've got three Wiggy's bags and they just plain work. I don't know about backpacking with one though- that's not really their forte' but if you're willing to pack it...it will keep you warm in some miserable conditions. The major downside to Wiggy's isn't actually the weight...it's bulk. They just pack down like an angry bear- My down bag is literally half the packed size of my Wiggy's.

If your shelter is marginal...go with a better, beefier bag. A better shelter and I'd be more willing to compromise on the bag. I'd never compromise on the pad- ever. I'm not totally sold on the idea of ounce counting and using tipis and quilts. Sure you can a lot lighter that way but...bad weather happens.

One thing to remember- many makers of bags and quilts are pretty "optimistic" when it comes to the temp ratings on their product. From first hand experience- I can tell you Wiggy's and Western Mountaineering are good right down to the rating and then some.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
Can you guys offer a couple brand and models of bags/quilts to pick from? Maybe if I have a couple to pick from I will have a better chance of jumping on a deal when one pops up.
Also on pads.

OP
W

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't picked a shelter either. Been looking at tarptent double rainbow, msr hubba nx 2p, and copper spur. Those are listed in the order of price....

verysimple

Lil-Rokslider
Can you guys offer a couple brand and models of bags/quilts to pick from? Maybe if I have a couple to pick from I will have a better chance of jumping on a deal when one pops up.
Also on pads.

Quilt - enlightened equipment, MLd, zpacks
Bags - wiggys, kifaru, Eddie Bauer igniter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
It's one of those things where you get what you pay for. I'm 68years old, and won't sleep on the ground ever again! So, it's a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock with quilts for me. This eliminates the "above timberline romps. The issues I have with tents are 1) extremely painful muscle spasms in my left thigh and calf muscles-these aren't cramps, and painful enough to send me into shock. It's imperative I'm able to stand up immediately, so a backpacking tent isn't possible. So the Blackbird has a Superfly tarp.

Something to think about-a nice pad is priceless, so get the best you can afford, and make sure it's wide enough so you don't have to sleep like King Tut. Thermarest Neo Air is nice, but noisy. Haven't tried Klymat, and since I don't use a pad in the hammock, there's no need. And the whole hammock system, quilts and all, weighs about 3.5 pounds. I use a 20 degree quilt system and merino layers. If it's nippy, I'll add a balaclava and gloves. It also helps if you have something to eat, like an energy bar, if you get cold during the night.

GKPrice

Banned
Wiggy's and quilts aren't often or ever in the same discussion. They're apples and oranges. I'm a Wiggy's guy, but that said, they are not the best choice for many or even most outings. I'm on Kodiak, so "wet" is always a consideration and that's where Wiggy's shine. People make them sound like they're huge and weigh 20 lbs, but it's not that bad. They are a bigger package, but I can still get mine down to a packable size. But they do weigh more. They weigh more because they are a bigger bag (another reason I like them...I fit comfortably in them) with more material in them. If anything, their listed weights on the website are on the "optimistic" side. The price on Wiggy's are nice, but if I were going to have someone buy a Wiggy's, I'd get one from Wiggy's Alaska, which offer slightly different bags than the main Wiggy's site. I use the Glacier Hunter from their Alaska store, which is a 15* bag, but closer to a 5 or 10* bag. Slightly different fabric and dispersion of fill. Just spent two weeks in that bag on a hunt and it's a gem to sleep in.

So that said, September Colorado, hike in, I don't think Wiggy's would be your best bet. I use a MH UltraLamina 20 if I'm carrying it in. MH makes good bags that won't drain your bank account. And I understand the budget thing, but like has been said, don't scrimp on sleep systems. Sleep/rest/recouperation during a long hunt are often underrated. Getting good sleep makes you a better hunter the next day and allows you to push hard today, knowing you've got a good night sleep ahead of you.

Like also said, you may not need the temp rating you think you do. I like to sleep in my base layer and dry it out in the bag, as well as not have to put it on cold in the morning. That for sure adds a few degrees to my sleep rating.

I'm with kodiakfly on the Wiggy's bags, been using them for nearly 20 years - Mostly I use a bedroll which gets packed by a horse, atv or truck but they're not THAT heavy but OH BOY will they keep you warm when you need it most - the pack down in size quite well too

Lil-Rokslider
Kodiakfly,

The Anchorage Wiggy's store never offered the discount but the main company did.

kodiakfly

WKR
Kodiakfly,

The Anchorage Wiggy's store never offered the discount but the main company did.

Yeah, I've ordered from the main company as well, and asked about it once and nada from them. Maybe I caught them on a bad day.