Sleeping bag for cold kayaker

I'm wondering if any of you can recommend a very warm but compact sleeping bag for my late Fall and early Spring kayaking trips? I generally only do day trips when Temps fall below 45° but I'd like to change that.

Needs:

- Must be able to reliably keep me warm down to 15 - 20°.

- Must be pretty compact so I can fit it in my kayak with tent, fishing gear, etc.

- Hopefully doesn't cost more than $200 (see edit below)

I appreciate any advice or recommendations you all can give!

EDIT: Based on responses so far, I see that a $200 limit was a pipe dream! I'm willing to raise that limit by another hundred or so, if that's what it takes to get reliable warmth. If it's gonna cost $400 or more, I'll have to think hard about how important overnight winter trips are to me.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Warm usually means loftier. Loftier usually means less compactable, unless you’re using a high lofting down. High lofting down is generally not cheap.

If you want to be reliably warm at 15-20, you’ll need a good pad as well with high R value. Whether you are a cold or warm sleeper and how many layers you sleep with would also affect the equation.

If you are sleeping with minimal layers and are generally a colder sleeper, I’d suggest getting a back with an EN comfort rating at 15-20. If you’re a warmer sleeper or use layers, then you can likely get away with a bag that has an EN limit rating at 15-20.

I’m not sure I know of any exact models off the top of head that hit all your criteria, but I imagine you’ll either have to be a little more comfortable with carrying additional bulk, or spending more than $200 and keeping the bulk to a minimum.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea-that's a tough one as it kinda' limits using down if getting wet from being in the kayak is a thing. Synthetic bags are not typically terribly compressible-especially colder weather bags .

OP
JustSomeGuy35
May want to explicitly state how "compact" (provide desired dimensions) the compressed bag must be.
Tomorrow I'll take measurements of the spot I was thinking it'd go in. I'll also put together my yak camping gear and see what other storage options I have. A rough estimate of what I hoped to find was a quality sleep system that is no more than 8-10" in diameter and roughly 16" long when compressed.

I have an older 0° rated bag that compresses to around that but it does a piss poor job of keeping me warm below 40°. Even when it was new it did a half ass job.

OP
JustSomeGuy35
Warm usually means loftier. Loftier usually means less compactable, unless you’re using a high lofting down. High lofting down is generally not cheap.

If you want to be reliably warm at 15-20, you’ll need a good pad as well with high R value. Whether you are a cold or warm sleeper and how many layers you sleep with would also affect the equation.

If you are sleeping with minimal layers and are generally a colder sleeper, I’d suggest getting a back with an EN comfort rating at 15-20. If you’re a warmer sleeper or use layers, then you can likely get away with a bag that has an EN limit rating at 15-20.

I’m not sure I know of any exact models off the top of head that hit all your criteria, but I imagine you’ll either have to be a little more comfortable with carrying additional bulk, or spending more than $200 and keeping the bulk to a minimum.
I'm definitely a warmer sleeper. The kind of guy that uses thin sheets on his bed even in winter. I will research bags with those ratings tomorrow and pads too.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull out all the gear I'd take on a multi-day trip and see what my storage options are. Maybe there's a way I can arrange things to make room for a larger bag and pad without having to cut other gear.

I appreciate your advice!

I'm definitely a warmer sleeper. The kind of guy that uses thin sheets on his bed even in winter. I will research bags with those ratings tomorrow and pads too.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull out all the gear I'd take on a multi-day trip and see what my storage options are. Maybe there's a way I can arrange things to make room for a larger bag and pad without having to cut other gear.

I appreciate your advice!
What pad are you using? You do want a pad with higher R value to help keep you warm.

OP
JustSomeGuy35
What pad are you using? You do want a pad with higher R value to help keep you warm.
I have a Coleman inflatable pad that I've been using for about 20 years for regular camping. Its bulky and hasn't been inflatable for the last 8 years, haha. There's no way I can fit it on my kayak without soaking it.

What pads do you recommend?

OP
JustSomeGuy35
If I had an emergency on the water and was wet/needed to get warm there is no way I would want a down bag.....so forget compact. Wiggys ultima thule.
jmo/ymmv
I looked up the Wiggys, read the reviews and I like what I'm seeing! The only info I couldn't find is the size of it when compressed. Do you know the size? Even just a ballpark idea.

OP
JustSomeGuy35
Update:

I've been researching bags and pads today and realize that my original $200 budget was pretty silly. It appears that the cost for quality sleep gear has gone up considerably since the last time I looked in 2007. I'll have to wait a few months before shopping for a sleeping pad.

I also spent time looking at my kayak, trying different storage configurations, and found a way to store a bulkier sleeping bag in the front hatch. I'll buy a large waterproof bag, stick it in the hull thru the 10" hatch, put my tent in, then feed the sleeping bag into it, along with extra clothing, and cinch it up. Easy peasey! There is plenty of room in the hull for tent and bag, I just need a larger waterproof bag than what I currently have.

With a $300 hard budget for just a sleeping bag, the Wiggys Ultima looks like a great option. Does anyone have any other recommendations or do you all think that's a solid choice?

OP
JustSomeGuy35
Wiggys ultima and thermarest Basecamp pad. Solid combo if your not walking far. Add a ridgerest and your golden.
I paddle far but no walking really. I live next to the Mississippi so I paddle around the islands and camp wherever I can find a piece of ground that isn't just mud. Thus, weight is no issue but storage on the kayak is tricky.

I appreciate all your recommendations!