Sleeping Bag and Tent Question

Rghunter2

FNG
I just returned from an archery elk hunt in colorado. It was my first time out. It was a great trip with the exception of my sleeping bag. I purchased a WM Kodiak GWS 0 degree bag after reading that i could just unzip it and control the temperature. That didn't work for me. I was either cold or way to hot. I am amazed at how fast that bag builds heat. However, the tent i was using was a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. With it being a double walled tent, it retains a lot of heat. I think i am going to sell the tent as it weighs almost 8 pounds and go with one of these ultra lite setups that weighs in the 2-4 pound range. I was also planning on selling the bag and picking up an ultralite tent from WM. Something along the lines of a 15-20 degree bag. Next year, i want to keep camp on my back for more of the time. I should mention that the lows were in the 30's while we were there. I would assume that is normal. Wondering if moving to a single wall tent will let me get by with the heavier bag? I know if was significantly colder outside than inside that tent but i cant say how much.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the WM Puma (-25) bag after being cold at nights for years hunting...Finally a bag that keep me warm. Too warm. I have learned from hearing back from others the WM is quite near the "rating" for warmth. Funny I too never thought I'd be too warm. Good luck the next hunts. I will say that the lighter ultra tent sounds to be good change over the Hillebeg. I have the same tent and the condensation beside the weight is the only downside. It too is over kill for Sept it seems.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I would get a lighter bag or quilt that actually fits your needs, especially if you want to hunt with camp on your back. I bring wool long johns and a down puffy anyway, if it gets cold I can just put those one.

I have been using a 20 degree bag (23 ounces), Thermarest X-therm (17 ounces), a floorless shelter (13 ounces, + 6 in steaks and guylines), and a Borah Gear bivy (6 ounces) and it has worked well. Not the lightest, but quite comfortable.

JRMiller

WKR
I prefer a 10 degree hybrid quilt these days.
Its the best of both worlds.
Cold, zip it up tight
Hot, zip it open as much as you want, even to just “blanket mode”
Under 2lbs as well

sndmn11

WKR
I have a kodiak and the western mountaineering quilt (lower rating of the two) and they cover everything. I use that quilt far more than I expected.

*zap*

WKR
Just try using the bag as a quilt with your feet in the foot box bottom and the side opposite the zipper up.. kodiak is a good bag.

Chris86

FNG
Just try using the bag as a quilt with your feet in the foot box bottom and the side opposite the zipper up.. kodiak is a good bag.
I had to do this on a recent trip. Worked great in a badger gws with temps dropping to the low 40s. To my defense, i woke up sweating in this bag on a 17* night.

Mdanks

FNG
I prefer a 10 degree hybrid quilt these days.
Its the best of both worlds.
Cold, zip it up tight
Hot, zip it open as much as you want, even to just “blanket mode”
Under 2lbs as well
What brand hybrid quilt do you recommend?

Xerute

FNG
I just purchased a Nemo Dragonfly 2P bike pack tent (shorter poles are nice for packing), the Stone glacier 2P tent looks nice but seems to never been in stock lately. Stone glacier also has a mesh insert so the tent can be used as a 3 season and 4 season tent depending on what insert you take which just seems nice. I run a Hammock Gear 20 degree quilt on a Nemo Tensor Mountaineering sleeping pad which is super comfortable for a side sleeper because of the 3 in thickness and it provides plenty of warmth under me in all temperatures.