Sleeping Bag and pad needs updated.

tstowater

WKR
I am going on a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska the first part of September. The outfitter says to bring a 20 degree bag and pad. I am looking to upgrade, but have only gotten confused by all the discussion that has been floated about the perfect bag. I would like to spend less than $400, preferrably less than $300, for the combination of the bag and pad. If you think I am being too cheap, let me know. Suggestions???

Thanks.

dotman

WKR
I suggest the kifaru 20* slick bag. Maybe ask Luke what he recommends on a pad since he lives in and hunts AK or you could send Billy Molls a pm, he guides for dall sheep.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Being as you will be guided and not have to carry a tent and what not you can certainly get away with a heavier (less expensive) sleeping setup.

However for less than $400 you can certainly get a nice setup for sure. If you want to spend that much I'd get this:

http://www.basegear.com/marmot-helium-sleeping-bag-down.html
http://www.campsaver.com/insulated-air-core-sleeping-pad

This would certainly make for a pretty warm/lighweight setup, but you can certainly get by with a $260 setup if you don't mind carrying an extra 12 oz or so by getting this bag instead:

http://www.basegear.com/mountain-hardwear-ultralamina-15-sleeping-bag-s12.html

Plus it'll be still warmer if you get it wet vs. down, but we won't start that argument here. :D

billy molls

Super Moderator
All makes sense too to me, most of the guys on here know WAY more about gear than I. Don't skimp on your sleeping pad. I use a neo air by thermatest, but there are many other good ones that are lightweight. I will never sleep on a 1" mattress again! I am sure there is a sleeping pad thread on here already, but spend the money for a good one. You will not regret it.

best of luck,,,,, and keeping training!!!! Ha!

muleman

WKR
Forgot to say, I have the BA IAC WL Luke recommended and love the pad. It is very durable and I like it better then one of my partners Neo Air. The only other pad I would consider is the Exped UL DownMat 7. IMHO air tubes should run parallel to the body and not perpendicular.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Why stick with a price when you can spend a little more. Narrowing down to the Kifaru Slick or the Mont Bell UL super spiral. Next question is whether to get a regular or long length. I am right at 6 foot tall and reasonable shape and that appears to be the cut off. Sggestions:

If I am getting on the plane on August 30th, am I going to get the Kifaru in time for the trip? That may be the deciding factor. Do I need to call to find out?

Still need to choose the pad.

Thanks for the help.

Rizzy

WKR
I am 6 foot and got the long, the weight difference is minimal for the extra length. I have room to spare with it and can stuff clothes in the end. I think I could have been fine with the regular also though. I'm a cold sleeper and was fine in the low 40s last weekend in the sawtooths, I wasn't too hot. It takes Kifaru about 6 weeks to make the bag so you still have a little time, make sure you get their stuff sack regardless of what bag you end up getting. It compresses to a convenient shape.

I'm assuming this will not be your only hunting trip, and you may need a bag for colder weather in the future. Go with a quality cold weather bag and be done with it. A foam pad will get you by until you can afford a better pad. I used the foam pad for quite a few trips last season before getting the neoair. The neoair is comfy but I wish I would have got one of the newer neoairs that are more durable and have a higher r value.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just an FYI.... the Go Lite sleeping bags are pretty tight fitting and if you're anywhere close to my size you will have issues zipping it up (I'm 73 inches tall and 200lbs).

muleman

WKR
Just an FYI.... the Go Lite sleeping bags are pretty tight fitting and if you're anywhere close to my size you will have issues zipping it up (I'm 73 inches tall and 200lbs).

I've heard their mummys were tight but didn't know they were that tight. I'm really impressed with the semi-rectangular Vario, lots of room for me. I'm 74" and 210#. I still think I will try and get one of their three season quilts when available.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Follow-up: Ordered the Kifaru 0 degree bag. They assured me that the order could be filled in time. I am highly considering the Neo-Air all-season pad http://www.rei.com/product/830684/therm-a-rest-neoair-all-season-sleeping-pad . Should have been buying this when the sale was on. Any place else where the price might to better? Obviously spending more money than I wanted, but I like the results. If me wife only knew the dent that Rokslide has put in the bank account. Certainly has been fun. I got cold on a previous hunt and did not like the concept. I would rather buy better gear and be comfortable.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Final tally: Slightly over $500. I do appreciate the help and advice. I debated going with some less expensive bags and pads, but the Slick 0 and Neo Air all Season should cover a lot of ground. I don't need the superlight weight, but I do appreciate quality. Aron's bag reviews and the other thread on pads sealed the deal. Goes to show that arbitrary budgets don't always win. Bad part is that someone will come out with something better in a year or two and I will wonder why I did what I did.