Sleep System

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just curious what your backpack hunting sleep system will weigh this season. This would be tent, pad, bag.

I'm not 100% sure on what I'll be using this season, but I always try and keep the weight down below 7 lbs.

Sleeping bag--- Kifaru or Montbell 2.4lbs ish
Tent/shelter---Not sure on this, but thinking Big Agnes 3 Wire and Paratarp 2.5lbs ish
Pad---modified RidgeRest or Exped UL7 12-16 oz's

So I should end up real close to 6 lbs and maybe a little less.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Montbell 15* UL - 2#4oz
MSR Carbon Reflex 1 - 2#5oz
NeoAir Large - 1#1oz

Total - 5#10 oz.

May run Bivy and Tarp on some trips and that will add about 7 oz. if I run that system.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Depends on the trip, time of year, and how many are going.

For this summers solo bear hunt I think I'll be going with the following:

Sleeping bag-GoLite Ultra 20 short-20 oz
Tent GoLite SL3-28 oz total
Pad-Neo-Air Short-9 oz
Bivy bag-Ti Goat Bivy-6 oz

Total comes in at just under 50 oz or 3.1 pounds. But as the mercury drops later in the season the pad and bags get heavier. :D

dotman

WKR
Shelter - Supertarp/annex 1# 10oz
Sleeping bag - Kifaru base bag 2# 9oz
Pad - Z-lite 14oz

Total of around 5# 1oz

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I only use 6 with the GoLite SL-3 at .75 per MSR GH thats 4.5 plus the 24 oz for the fly of the SL-3 itself is 28.5 guess I should round up to 29 oz for the tent then making the setup right at 50 oz. :D

Kifaru slick 20 deg reg/long - 2.2 lbs
tarptent rainshadow 2 - 2.6 lbs
ridge-rest solite - 1.2 lbs

total - 6 lbs comes with stakes I believe havent recieved it yet (doesnt count the trekking poles that double as the poles, those are 16 oz I believe)

Last edited:

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This thread is going to make me go weigh my sleeping bag. I don't even know what brand it is, but it's a really warm. I got it my senior year of HS and am now pushing my 10 year reunion. I am also going to have to go weigh the TiGoat Vertex as the site doesn't even have an advertised weight. My pole weighs in at about 6 ounces though...

I will get official weights tomorrow.

Aron,

I am like you...I don't know what I running this year at the moment. I'd like to upgrade tent and bag but here is what I have.

Sierra Design 20 degree bag -- approx. 3 lbs
Coleman Exponent 2 man -- approx 3.5 lbs
EXPED Synmat UL 7 -- 1 lb

Supertarp/Annex 1.5 lbs
Zlite 14 oz
Synmat UL 16 oz
Right now I have a Alps mountaineering clearwater 20 wide.. its 3.5 lbs. I'm debating on springing for a Kifaru slickbag or just waiting. I'd save 1 lb.

My total weight is 6.75 lbs with the clearwater bag.

Lawnboi

WKR
Paratipi + stove. Or paratarp for going really light. 4lbs 8oz max, light setup 1lbs may add a stove and annex. 3 1/2 lbs or something like that +bug bivy if needed.
Should have a kifaru slick 20 soon or lithium if its cold. 3lbs, light setup 2lbs.
Zlite, if its really cold a short prolite on top 1 8oz tops, light setup 14oz.

so 9-10lbs for winter super cold stuff to 4lbs 14oz for hot summer type stuff. usually it will be somewhere inbetween those 2 numbers depending on how long im going, where im going, if i plan on staying in 1 place, or how bad the weather is.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
BA Zirkel SL = 2 lb 4 oz.
Neoair Medium = 11 oz.
Tarptent Contrail = 1 lb. 8.5 oz.

Total weight = 4 lb 7.5 oz.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I know I will get significant weather I will ask bring my Akto instead of MSR Car on Reflex 1. That will change my total weight by 8 oz. So all my set ups are right around 6 pounds, regardless of which tent / tarp / bivy I use.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Sleep system

Again, the tent depends on needs/weather, but:

Kifaru Paratipi w/ TiGoat cylinder stove: 4lb 14oz

WM Versalite: 2lb 2oz

Neoair X-lite Large: 1lb

Total: 7lb 14oz

For solo hunting when I don't expect it to get too cold I'll take my Tarptent Moment and save exactly 3lbs.

I'm also working on a way to configure trekking poles to use instead of the Kifaru pole. I don't have the pole weight with me, but I expect that'll save another 8oz or so.

Last edited:
BA Insulated AirCore 24 oz
Western Mountaineering Badger 2 lbs 6 oz
Kifaru Supertarp with pags (1 pound for the shelter probably around a pound for the pegs)

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm also working on a way to configure trekking poles to use instead of the Kifaru pole. I don't have the pole weight with me, but I expect that'll save another 8oz or so.

Any extendable trekking pole that goes to atleast 56 inches works. Thats all i use with the paratipi