Sleep System

been running some numbers and am trying to figure out the benefit of a paratarp and 3 wire bivy over say a fly creek ul 2? weight is the same but there is almost a $200 cost diff

High-tec 15* bag = 2lb 13.7 oz - includes stuff sack
BA insulated air core = 1lb 11.5 oz - includes sack (heavier than most but a must have for me)
Ground sheet = 6.3 oz
Golite shangrila 5 2lb 2 oz - includes sack and stakes (we don't carry a pole) 2 of us sleep in this

Total weight = 8lbs 1.5 oz

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Zpacks 20 degree bag - 20 oz
Kifaru Super Tarp and Annex - 22 oz (Hopefully getting in for my B-day in June!)
12 Hilleberg Viper pegs - 4.6 oz
Thermarest Ridge Rest Solite Short - 9oz

Total weight = 3.5 lbs.

Gman

WKR
Shelter depends on solo or fast and light vs partner and ability to set camp:

Para-tarp - 11oz
ID BugaBoo Bivy - 32 oz
Sawtooth (if not paratarp) - all in at 3lbs 8oz
BA IAC - 24oz
WM Alpinlite -33oz

So for fast and light 6.25lbs if I did the math right and for load split with two 7.75lbs.

Lawnboi

WKR
cmeier can you tell me more about those stakes? seems pretty light for 12 of em.

I could drop alot of weight if i didnt want to carry a stove, but i think they are so darn cool ill definetly carry it, not to mention it may save a trip if the weather hits the fan!

dotman

WKR
I heard that when Aron is ready to sleep he just grabs a bear and uses it as a blanket, bear is so scared it is frozen in fear!

cmeier117

WKR
cmeier can you tell me more about those stakes? seems pretty light for 12 of em.

I could drop alot of weight if i didnt want to carry a stove, but i think they are so darn cool ill definetly carry it, not to mention it may save a trip if the weather hits the fan!

Here are the stakes. They weigh .38 oz a piece. They are the viper pegs.
http://www.hilleberg.com/home/special_offers.php

Lawnboi

WKR
How do you like them? if you have used them yet. Its looking like i can easily cut weight off my shelter by not using durapegs or groundhogs, iv been looking at TI pegs, and ill check those out as well. I dont think a 8+ inch peg is really needed to hold those short kifaru shelters down but i may be wrong? Id like to keep groundhogs for the cardinal pegs, then go with something very light for the rest.

slim9300

WKR
Marmot Helium Long sleeping bag w/ 10L Uberlight DrySack - 37 ounces
Exped SynMat UL 7 w/ patch kit - 17.23 ounces
Helleberg Nallo GT4 (split 2 ways) - 115 ounces

Total - 6.98 lbs.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
Any extendable trekking pole that goes to atleast 56 inches works. Thats all i use with the paratipi

Mine only go to 53" plus they get pretty skinny/flimsy when extended all the way out. I found a way to lash two poles together that will work perfectly (found on BPL), just need to get the right materials.

dotman

WKR
Mine only go to 53" plus they get pretty skinny/flimsy when extended all the way out. I found a way to lash two poles together that will work perfectly (found on BPL), just need to get the right materials.

Sounds like new poles are inorder, shouldn't be flimsy.

Lawnboi

WKR

You could also just cut a 6 or so inch piece of pvc to stick over the end of your pole to make it a hair longer. Or new poles, i would hate to have my shelter collapse when its storming out, or worse yet when the stove is red hot

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use my trekking poles to setup my 72" tall GoLite SL-5. No lashing required and never had a problem in the 50+ nights I have used the setup.

cmeier117

WKR
How do you like them? if you have used them yet. Its looking like i can easily cut weight off my shelter by not using durapegs or groundhogs, iv been looking at TI pegs, and ill check those out as well. I dont think a 8+ inch peg is really needed to hold those short kifaru shelters down but i may be wrong? Id like to keep groundhogs for the cardinal pegs, then go with something very light for the rest.

haven't had the chance to use them. I can say this and someone who has used Hilleberg correct me if I am wrong. But I believe their Akto and Nallo tents come with a "V" peg which is similar to these. At the price though they are worth a shot. I may carry a few Groundhogs or dura pegs for the main peg out points.

stephen b

WKR
I have a couple set ups depending on how light I want to go and depending on how bad the skeeters are in the early part of the season.

1. My real light weight down and dirty set up ( where I am not expecting any real significant weather or bugs):

Bag: Feather Friends Rock Wren 30 deg ( I have an older one that was rated at 30 and it is conservative- 1lb. 12 oz.
pad; RidgeRest or Z pad 3/4 length and slightly shaped (modified)- 8 oz
Tyvek or syl-nylon ground sheet ( our ground here tends to be wet. - 4 oz.
Shelter: My Terra Nova Bivi tarp fly ( including stakes and poles, but without the net)- 12 oz.

Link: http://www.prolitegear.com/terra-nova-bivi-tarp.html
Total 52 oz. ( 3lbs 4 oz)

2. next one is if bugs are bad- but weather is mild:

All of the above and then I switch out the tyvek/or syl. nylon ground sheet (4 oz) and put in the TN Bivi tarp's nest (13 oz.) so a 9 oz net gain which puts me at- ( 4 lbs 1 oz.)

3. next is a more comfortable set up:

all of the items in # 2; but I switch out the 3/4 Ridge rest ( 8oz.) and add in my Pacific Outdoor Equipment (Peak Elite AC) pad which is 20x72 and 2.5 " thick. Mine weighs 12.5 oz even though specs are 14oz.

* so this adds a net gain of 4.5 oz. which puts me at 4 lbs. 5.5 oz.

link to the POE pad: http://pacoutdoor.com/sleeping-pads/view/peak-elite-ac

4. Last is my set up where I am expecting any type of weather or bugs etc. that is thrown at me in early fall. This is what I usually carry because who knows what the weather will be.

Bag: Feather Friends Rock Wren which I have had down to 20deg and been very comfortable - 1lb. 12 oz.
Pad: Pacific Outdoor Equipment (Peak Elite AC) 12.5 oz
Tent/ Shelter: Integral Designs George Tarp. It is a great 1 or 2 person tipi shelter that is 6-7 ft tall: 26 oz

* I also have the Golite 3 SL which I can use solo, but it is slightly heavier (weighs about 24 oz for just the fly- minus the stakes) but it is a little bit tougher material than the Syl. nylon of the ID george tarp.

interior nest: solo I use the Terra Nova bivi nest, which is my ground sheet and netting 13 oz.

So total for the # 4 is 79.5 oz - which rounds up to 5 lbs.

**** If I decide to add in my ridgerest 3/4 pad to the POE pad it will add 8 oz. to my set up ( which I have often done before for either- comfort; ^ warmth; or another option if for any reason the airpad failed; but I mostly have added it to all my set ups just for the convenience of glassing, sitting etc.

Last edited: