Sleep pads

180ls1

WKR
Hey, first time posting on here. Been scouring posts for an answer… wife just got me an Xtherm NXT max as it was the best rated. I understand the crinkly lessens with use, but the biggest issue I am finding so far is it is slippery. My SG Chilkoot 15 on it seems super slippery… tempted to switch to an Exped with its thicker edges but it seems they got rid of the direct competitor the synmat 7. The Ultra 7R is close but 20D ripstop vs the Xtherm bottom being 70D.
Does anyone find the slippery texture an issue sleeping on it, or any reccomendations on the current Exped competitor?
Thanks in advance, and apologies if I missed the answer to this somewhere.

You could also consider a Zenbivy quilt and keep the pad.

Hey, first time posting on here. Been scouring posts for an answer… wife just got me an Xtherm NXT max as it was the best rated. I understand the crinkly lessens with use, but the biggest issue I am finding so far is it is slippery. My SG Chilkoot 15 on it seems super slippery… tempted to switch to an Exped with its thicker edges but it seems they got rid of the direct competitor the synmat 7. The Ultra 7R is close but 20D ripstop vs the Xtherm bottom being 70D.
Does anyone find the slippery texture an issue sleeping on it, or any reccomendations on the current Exped competitor?
Thanks in advance, and apologies if I missed the answer to this somewhere.
-Put small dabs of silicone on the side that seems to be too slippery
-strips of single sided anti-slip rug tape
-Slide extra shirts around pad as if it was wearing your t-shirt, just like you would put a pillow case on a pillow

TX_Diver

WKR
Could you guys post a link to which thermarest pad your talking about? R value 7.3, quiet, and 15oz?

Or am I mixing features of multiple pads?

TX_Diver

WKR
Thanks!!

Are the X-lite NXT pads crinkly? I mostly hunt september so the slightly reduced R-value and weight would be alright. But if the X-lite pads sound like a bag of chips then I'd rather go with the X-therm.

Thanks!!

Are the X-lite NXT pads crinkly? I mostly hunt september so the slightly reduced R-value and weight would be alright. But if the X-lite pads sound like a bag of chips then I'd rather go with the X-therm.

So it does have some noise to it, but it is greatly reduced compared to the older version which would wake me up if I moved at all. The new version doesn’t bother me.

It is also much thicker so I can lay on my side without touching the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
So it does have some noise to it, but it is greatly reduced compared to the older version which would wake me up if I moved at all. The new version doesn’t bother me.

The x-lite or the x-therm?

I vote therma-rest diversifies their naming structure a bit lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I have this pad too, much much quieter than the old version and it’s nice and warm. On many other pads of had my butt get cold as it presses down when I lay on my back. None of that with the new x therm. My only regret is getting the mummy shape one rather than the squared off version.

Thanks!!

I have the new X-lite NXT (about 2 months old) and it is much much quieter than the original. I'd say it's no louder than most other brand pads now. I also have an older original version and it sounds like I'm sleeping on corn flakes. With a 0 deg bag in September I think the X-Therm is more insulation than needed and the X-lite would be perfect and save you some weight.

TX_Diver

WKR
I have the new X-lite NXT (about 2 months old) and it is much much quieter than the original. I'd say it's no louder than most other brand pads now. I also have an older original version and it sounds like I'm sleeping on corn flakes. With a 0 deg bag in September I think the X-Therm is more insulation than needed and the X-lite would be perfect and save you some weight.

My other thought is for the same weight as the X-therm NXT mummy shaped pad I can get the X-lite NXT max which is rectangular. Unfortunately I want to go with a large as I'm fairly tall, but they still seem lighter than the options of the past.

Decisions, decisions...

There's only 1 oz differnece in the wide and the wide tall. It's a no brainer to me. All my sleeping pads are rectangular and the wide tall versions (25"x78"). I'll cut the handle off my toothbrush, dehydrate my wipes, drill holes in my spoon handle......but I'm not sacrificing a few ounces on my pad at the cost of restless nights.

If it's gonna be above 35, you want light, but won't sacrifice comfort: https://www.bigagnes.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/zoom-ul-insulated

If it's cold, I'm using my X-Therm; but if it's above 35, my Big Agnes pads are my favorite, especially comfort-wise!
Have you tried the Big Agnes Rapide SL? I'm leaning toward that for a late Sep archery hunt this season, but curious in how the Zoom would hold up 20-30 degree temps. Im running the Big Agnes Anvil Horn 0, I dont like to be cold.

Have you tried the Big Agnes Rapide SL? I'm leaning toward that for a late Sep archery hunt this season, but curious in how the Zoom would hold up 20-30 degree temps. Im running the Big Agnes Anvil Horn 0, I dont like to be cold.
Actually prefer the Rapide SL. That's my go-to pad! I just sold the old version and picked up the new one, which is supposed to be lighter and warmer. I know with the original version I would get chilly at about 30, not dangerously, but enough that it was not really comfortable lol (that was sleeping in just base layers, not anything additional). Above 30 with a proper temp bag, zero issues. BA is also known for "cold spots" in their insulation, so keep that in mind if you're pushing the temp envelope.

I like the BA bag/pad system too, although I prefer synthetic for my purposes/environment!

Actually prefer the Rapide SL. That's my go-to pad! I just sold the old version and picked up the new one, which is supposed to be lighter and warmer. I know with the original version I would get chilly at about 30, not dangerously, but enough that it was not really comfortable lol (that was sleeping in just base layers, not anything additional). Above 30 with a proper temp bag, zero issues. BA is also known for "cold spots" in their insulation, so keep that in mind if you're pushing the temp envelope.

I like the BA bag/pad system too, although I prefer synthetic for my purposes/environment!
Ok, thats what I am going with. The bag seems to be pretty legit, but with no bottom insulation, the pad must be solid. Looked at Klymit, Thermo but feel like matching it up with the Big Agnes is the way to go. Thanks for the heads up!

Ok, thats what I am going with. The bag seems to be pretty legit, but with no bottom insulation, the pad must be solid. Looked at Klymit, Thermo but feel like matching it up with the Big Agnes is the way to go. Thanks for the heads up!
Don't go Klymit!! lol. You'd be compressing the bottom insulation on the bag anyway, so no need to carry it.