Sleep apnea

Looking for cpap powering ideas other than generators. Trying to look at something a bit lighter than a small generator. Something along the lines of a Aimtom type battery generator that won’t break the bank.

Any recommendations?

manitou1

WKR
Anker Solix 2000 is what I went with.
I do extended camping so I use a propane generator to recharge it in a couple hours or less if fully discharged.

Since I heat the camper with a propane wave heater I already have two-30 lb tanks onboard and don't have to fuss with gasoline... which goes bad quickly and is messy.

Can go (4-6) weeks off grid with this set up without refill, including using the heater and LED lights.

This of course is when using our camper.
When tent camping I just tough it out and don't sleep much.🥴😖

With just the Anker power pack you can get about 48-60 hours if just running a CPAP , if you don't use the humidifier and heat. Of course, if you do use the humidifier and heat you will likely only get 35-40 hours before needing a recharge.

Last edited:
Depending on how severe your apnea is a mouthpiece could be all you need. I got a quote from my dentist for one it was $1400. I decided to try a " snore guard" brand mouthpiece from Walmart that was like $50. It is similar to a mouthguard for sports in that you heat it in boiling water and bite/form it to your mouth. It has worked for me but my apnea was 14 incidences /hour.

Shraggs

WKR
I’ve posted a lot of detail in many threads, summary:

HDM/Breas Z1Apap or cpap. Very small battery or electric powered with auto elevation sensing. Been using it for over a decade including backpacking.

I use goal zero Sherpa 50 battery packs with 12v ports. Each gets me 1-1.5 nights without recharging. Solar panels work, but finicky in real world outdoors. I have 4 sherpas. Each weighs a pound if counting weight. Need male 12v and female 12v adapters. Goal zero makes a larger Sherpa now, but must have 12v output.

If I’m “car” type camping can bring a large capacity agm marine trolling battery. Easily get a week out if it.

OP
Y
I’ve posted a lot of detail in many threads, summary:

HDM/Breas Z1Apap or cpap. Very small battery or electric powered with auto elevation sensing. Been using it for over a decade including backpacking.

I use goal zero Sherpa 50 battery packs with 12v ports. Each gets me 1-1.5 nights without recharging. Solar panels work, but finicky in real world outdoors. I have 4 sherpas. Each weighs a pound if counting weight. Need male 12v and female 12v adapters. Goal zero makes a larger Sherpa now, but must have 12v output.

If I’m “car” type camping can bring a large capacity agm marine trolling battery. Easily get a week out if it.
I’ve been looking for some open box sherpas. I was going to buy one and give it a go. The Aimtoms I use I can get 1 solid night and enough sleep the 2nd night to not be exhausted. They weigh 3ish lbs. I have two that I used last season and it got me through my 4 day hunts.

I was using a Honda 1k generator previous 8-10
Day hunts (hunt out of a boat).

Do you use the Sherpa for anything else?

Shraggs

WKR
I tested before going on my first trip;

My zpap prescription is 10-20, average 15. If your pressure is different factor that.

In my home 70 degrees I can get 16 hours or two nights of run time.

On the mountain around freezing it drops to 8-9 hours. So one per day or bring solar panel - Extra weight or loose a day Tending charging.

I started bring extra toe warmers and slap one or two on the Sherpa each night and put it all with me in the bag and can get about 12 hours. As little as I sleep up high that’s two nights worth. Snd I only turn it on when I’ve begun to dose and not when I get in bag.

As far as back pack hunting only bring Sherpa 50 at 1 lb each and do shorter trips. 1-2 nights = 1 Sherpa, etc. i have 4 total. I will have at the truck a generator or marine battery and the nomad 20.

If I’m doing some base camp/truck camp and have storage resources or closer proximity I’ll use the big battery. A quality AGM battery for trolling motors should easily last a week+. Generators can charge anything I need, as needed.

As far as goal zero, minimum solar panel is nomad 20 which in good, clear summer sun will charge a Sherpa 50 in 4 hours. Double that in actual use in fall/winter mountains with trees and mixed weather. You’ll need to move it to keep it in sun. It does work but weighs 1.5 lbs and awkward packing due to rigidity, but fine left in truck.

It’s all a pain, but it’s kinda the burden of sleep apnea if you warrant it medically, and want to remote hunt. I would not tough it out for a few days especially up high - too great a risk.

Not sure what machine you have, but I hooked my old resmed s8 to a Sherpa think it was done in less than 3 hours. There are 3 or so very small backpack sized machines that you need. They use very little power comparatively, yet as effective as my current s10, just not as quite.

The newest Sherpa I want to say is double the reserve power and only 50% heavier. I’d look at that, especially the connection process. They all need 12v, so cigeratte male female. The old sherpas had that feature plus usb. Most new power packs have only usb. If usb c it’s possible to use usb c, but you’ll have to check with the cpap maker if the make an adapter.

madlivid

FNG
Get a travel CPAP. Something like this with a battery and DC power supply option.

I actually use the AirMini as my daily driver for CPAP. Haven't brought it out though. Do you have any recommendations for batteries?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I actually use the AirMini as my daily driver for CPAP. Haven't brought it out though. Do you have any recommendations for batteries?
Not off the top of my head. The goal zeros, or if you can fiddle a lithium ion slab and I would use 12 V to 12 V for efficiency.

I don't use a CPAP, just something I have a touch (a small one) of knowledge on.

madlivid

FNG
Not off the top of my head. The goal zeros, or if you can fiddle a lithium ion slab and I would use 12 V to 12 V for efficiency.

I don't use a CPAP, just something I have a touch (a small one) of knowledge on.
Ah, no worries - thanks for sharing! Haha good for you for not needing a CPAP. It's a pain in the butt to have to take considerations for tbh.

But in case anyone is wondering, I'm a big fan of the AirMini, especially as someone who used to have to carry the massive CPAP briefcases.