SKRE Kaibab 300 Hoodie Review

Titan

WKR
I was lucky enough to be the winner of the last SKRE gear giveaway. I won a Kiabab 300 Hoodie. Now I want to give a review of the Hoody - I think the best reviews are ones that compare directly to other pieces in the same ballpark.

I don't have a lot of items to compare, but hopefully enough for those on the fence on what type of base layer (hooded/shirt, merino/synthetic, weight) to help make a decision. This is my first piece of SKRE gear and I do have to say that I'm a fan based on this single piece.

Pieces in this comparison-

Kaibab 300 Merino Hoodie
Badlands Variant Merino Hoody 300g
Badlands Ovis 1/4 Zip Merino 260g
Kuiu Merino Long Sleeve 125G
Sitka Core Heavyweight Hoody

I'm fairly picky about my base layers. I can't stand wadded sleeves, stacked cuffs, non-fitted hoods, etc. My biggest gripe with a few base layers are the cuffs. I feel like this isn't talked about enough...or maybe I'm just weird, but I can't stand when a base/mid layer has the long non stretchy cuffs and it gets tight on my watch. Even my non-watch wrist drives me nuts when it gets bulky in there. The Kaibab and the Sitka Core Heavyweight nailed this. Small, super stretchy cuffs that don't argue with any additional layers.

Sizing – feels like a true Medium. Some of my “mediums” in other brands end up being a little baggy, especially in the sleeves. This is a major issue with some Badlands and Black Ovis base layers. They don’t make a small and for whatever reason, the sleeves seem gigantic. I usually end up washing warm to try and shrink them down a little.

Kaibab hood is great – tight over the forehead so it moves with your head. Zipper comes up to the chin.

I love the 300g weight of the hoody. I feel like it allows me to skip a mid layer or extra thin base layer and reduce bulk. The zipper extends down pretty far to really open it up and let some heat/moisture out if needed. That's an issue when I run a lighter base layer (like the Kuiu 125G) and then a hoody as a mid layer.

The weight seems a little heavier than even the 300g Badlands Variant and slightly more than the Sitka Core Heavyweight. The biggest difference is the tightness of the weave. You can see this in the photo below. Feels like a higher quality fabric overall. Soft and stretchy, no changes after a few washings so far.

Overall, I am a fan. And the price seems very competitive, especially with the sales they run periodically. On the next one I plan to grab a set of the 300g merino bottoms. SKRE also offers lifetime warranty and free shipping (both ways for exchanges). That’s a huge bonus!

IMG_3036.jpg

InkedIMG_3029.jpgIMG_3030.jpg

anw0001

FNG
Thanks for the review! I’ve been buying Skre clothing for about a year now and absolutely love it. For the price to quality ratio I can’t really justify buying anything else.

OP
T

Titan

WKR
I just picked up the lost peak ultralite jacket on clearance. Seems like a nice piece as well!