SKRE gear help

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
With cyber Monday I picked up the SKRE Hardscrable jacket, hardscrable pants, Kodiak pants, both light and mid weight gloves and a beanie. This is my first real dive into camo and “expensive” hunting clothes(normally I use army surplus wool and my Carhart jacket). I got both pairs of pants to try cause with my job I can only hunt august, or Nov/December. Will the hardscrable pants be fine for November if I use a base layer under them? Then I could use them in august also? I couldn’t make up my mind so that’s why I ordered both, I figured I could always send one back if needed.

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
I run hard scrabble pants through all season. I have 2 sizes so I can get an additional set of base layers one under the larger ones. I’m all about layering. I also run a hard scrabble jacket as well, and just layer up once you get to your hunting locations.

I love my SKRE gear!

Spoonman

WKR
I guess it depends on where you live and what the temps are in August and November? Also what style of hunting are you doing? Are you boots on the ground or sitting in a tree? I use to live in Washington and I used the hardscrabble pants Oct-Dec. I didn’t like them in the summer but I run hot and put on miles for hunting. If it was me I’d get the hardscrabble and layer accordingly if those are the only two pants you are looking at.

I wear Hardscrabbles almost exclusively for September elk archery but I also wear them occasionally for training sessions in Missouri (like August weather…98° and 85% humidity).

I also wear them deer hunting for November rifle in Missouri with a base layer underneath. I wear bibs over that if it is below 40. If I’m still hunting, I don’t wear any base layer.

The Hardscrabbles are on the mid to mid-light spectrum. I have some pants like the Uinitas and OR Ferrosi that are lighter and some like the Sitka Mountain pant that are heavier.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty sure you’ll be fine for almost any weather with base layers underneath.
They’re kinda fragile, but I’ve really liked the
Uinta early season pants for September in Colorado.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I live in eastern Washington. Early season would be here or in Idaho with a family member. I hunt the late November archery deer in SE Washington which temps range from 50-20 degrees. And I put in for a November Idaho muzzleloader hunt every now and then. That hunt is below 20 degrees and we hike base camp in a few miles.
It’s a pretty wide range.

I have heard great things about SKRE so I’m looking forward to trying it out!

I’ve been using more Skre stuff last couple years. Been hunting in the hard scrabble pants in 15-25 degrees all this week.

If you get the base layer go for 300 weight. The 150s are a little skimpy.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
This year whitetail hunting I wore my hardscrabble pants with no base layer (I run hot as well like Spoonman mentioned) and then slid my FL solitude bibs over them once I got settled in. Temp was cooler but not cold, like 20 in the am and warm up to 40. Last year in Colorado for 2nd season rifle, I wore my Kodiak pant with 300 weight base layer under and was great all day. I would put my puffy pants on to glass but when I was on the move I would open the vents and drop the puffy and be fine. Temp was around single digits in the morning warming up to about 17 in the day. I am a really big fan of my SKRE gear that I have purchased over the past 2 years. I definitely think that they can compete with the "Big Name" brands for quality for not as much money.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I was to have a single pair of SKRE pants for August - November Hardscarbble get the nod for sure.

Interesting enough this year I never wore my Hardscarbble pants, either had the Uinta early season pants or the Kodiak pants on.
Nevada archery, Utah archery, Utah muzzleloader, Montana sheep in September, Wyoming elk, Missouri archery, Montana sheep in November.
It was unusually warm this year so maybe that played a part. I wore the Kodiak for Missiouri archery season in Nov since I'm typically tree stand hunting and they block the wind the best. One day it was 85* so they were a bit much even with the hip vents open but since it was dark while walking to and from the stand it wasn't as big of a deal.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
I used them exclusively last year during late muzzleloader in eastern Washington. I was perfect temp without a base layer until around 20 degrees. Then again I don’t sit or glass much since it’s so thick where I hunt. Have also used them in the higher elevations in Hawai’i without a problem.