Skinning knife for black bear?

mcseal2

WKR
A couple friends and I drew Colorado black bear tags this fall as a Plan B after we had to postpone a trip to Kodiak after deer. One of the guys going to Kodiak tore his ACL and the transporter let us roll our deposit to a later date.

I was wondering if anyone changed up their knife choice or carried a second one when skinning a bear? This will be my first bear hunt. I have a custom knife similar to the Dozier Pro Guides knife I've used on moose, elk, deer, etc. I have several smaller blades I sometimes carry for caping like the Havalon or Benchmade Altitude.

Just wondered if it was worth carrying a skinning shaped blade like the Montana Stonewall Skinner or a cheaper Victorinox?

Thanks for your help.

Poser

WKR
Lamb skinners are nice for bear as that curved blade gets you a longer, smoother skinning action as your blade comes around to the tip.

I believe Cliff Gray is having made/selling a tweaked "Lamb Skinner" profile blade. I think you have to email him though, no web sales...

Main thing I'd be worried about is having a second smaller knife for getting the paws out. I can get the skull out with my main skinning knife but the paws I definitely prefer the smaller knife like a caping knife.

You definitely want a knife that holds an edge or you can sharpen easily, preferably both. It's not a quick and dirty thing like an animal you don't keep the hide and especially if you haven't done it you'll be there awhile and you'll make mistakes. I like the buck knives 420 steel and a worksharp field sharpener but my main skinning and quartering knife is an antique Western knife not made anymore. Just don't try gutting anything with that swept blade.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 21

jhm2023

WKR
I really like the Outdoor Edge Razor Pro L for general skinning and quartering, then a Havalon with #22 blades for removing paws and the skull. I've disassembled 6 bears just this spring with that combo. Then again, I like this combo for all big game critters. I enjoy the simplicity of just replacing the blade and continuing without having to stop and sharpen, especially after disassembling joints or when I have to do multiple animals in a day.

Outdoor Edge RazorPro for me as well. I have a bunch of Benchmades, but I always end up using the outdoor edge because its way easy to keep a razor sharp blade in it.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone.

I actually saw the Cliff Grey video on his skinning knife, its part of what got me thinking about this. I’ll look into a dedicated skinning knife. I have some caping knives that should be fine or the Havalon.

I don’t mind touching a blade up regularly, thats when my back gets it’s rest. If more than one of us is working on an animal I usually do it for everyone, they seem to think I do a decent job at it.

Hootey

FNG
i used an MKC speedgoat on a black bear in Montana last fall. worked extremely well
i always carry a fixed blade and then have a replaceable blade as well

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
These are the two knives I usually end up taking everywhere. I use the bigger one for almost everything except caping or cleaning a skull for a euro mount. Maybe I don’t need anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_3997.jpeg
    IMG_3997.jpeg
    396.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Well I guess I solved the skinning knife question. I was doing a little research last night while killing time and found a used Montana knife company Stonewall Skinner in Magnacut for a price I was willing to pay so I got it bought. Hope I get to use it!

Thanks everyone for the help.