Six fletch or 3 fletch issues

So I read the thread here about six fletch benefits and thought I’d give it a try. I am working with a right helical ez-fletch so I am limited to right helical only. My setup is a Switchback XT 71#, 28.5” draw. Arrow is a 5mm axis 340 at 27.5” with 50 gr inserts and 100gr heads. Currently shooting NAP Hellrazors. Wanting to switch from the factory blazer vane 3 fletch to a 6 fletch 1.5” quickspins for better stabilization and less wind drift. Completed arrow with blazers is 442 gr and with quickspins is 443 gr on my reloading scale. Speed is 266fps.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this:

With a factory straight fletched 3 blazer vanes on my arrows and with the Broadhead blades aligned with the fletching, my arrows hit within 1” of my field points at 40yds. With the 1.5” quickspin 6 fletched, the same broadhead hits high and right 6” consistently. I have shot both options no less than 20 times each. I expected the higher rotation rate of the quick spins to stabilize the broadhead as good or better than the 3 fletch.

any ideas to the issue? I was thinking the tune may be different with the 6 fletch but it was perfect bullet holes with shafts and Factory fletched arrows soI am assuming the bow is in the. The bow did get a new string about 100 shots ago. Could the higher rotation rate be causing the arrow to climb high and right?

Can’t comment on six fletch, but that is a big change from what you were at. So I’m not surprised there is a big difference in impact. I would be more worried about how they are grouping? Is it better or worse than your usual 3 fletch? I’ve seen people shoot the exact same arrow with exact same three fletch and degree of helical , just different brand of smfletching (they looked almost the same and were the same weight) and those arrows were about a foot different at 50 yards. Not exactly the same scenario but goes to show how such a tiny change can impact stuff.

OP
PurpleDriver
They do group well. Not sure I can say they group any better. I think it’s more limited by the shooter for now. Baseball size groups with field points at 40yds. I shoot the Broadheads one arrow at a time and they all hit same POI. The field points hit same POA with either fletching, but that’s what field points tend to do.

Id like to shoot the smaller fletching for enhanced FOC and wind drift, but wasn’t sure the 3 fletch 1.5 quickspins could steer a fixed blade effectively. So I was trying the 6 fletch with same FOC but better wind drift...

I think I’ll paper tune my bow again to the smaller fletching and see if that helps out.

nphunter

WKR
I noticed the biggest difference in mine shooting in the wind and durability, less getting smashed in my soft case as well. They never shot better than my larger three vanes arrows but they did shoot better than four small ones.

I like the small diameter, less effect from winds, less likely to hit my fletching when shooting groups and more durable when passing through targets and critters.

The group of six, four and three is a 45 yard group. I never noticed much difference at all with the three variations but never shot fixed heads with all three. I honestly can’t imagine six quick spins not stabilizing a head better that three blazers.

Attachments

• D54D883F-A19B-43DE-AC0E-44FC844C751C.jpeg
    D54D883F-A19B-43DE-AC0E-44FC844C751C.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 43
  • D6C9F59D-A42E-4C73-8FE2-1C46B8B6F2FE.jpeg
    D6C9F59D-A42E-4C73-8FE2-1C46B8B6F2FE.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 15F0811C-125D-4F3A-9C8D-CA8B2F3BC86C.jpeg
    15F0811C-125D-4F3A-9C8D-CA8B2F3BC86C.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When you make changes to your setup.........always re-tune. You're tuning your bow to your arrows. And you were right in your thinking........only three 1.5" QS's will not stabilize a decently sized fixed blade BH very well.......I've tried that. I even tried the very low profile 2.2" QS's in a 3-fletch and they wouldn't work well either. The 2" and 3" both work well in a 3-fletch. The other thing here is that NAP specifically says to NOT fletch QS's with a helical. I wouldn't expect much helical on a 1.5" vane regardless, but I've also had the best performance with QS's fletched straight or just barely right of centerline. I didn't like the 1.5" QS's in a 3-fletch even for 3D. Also, with field points, I saw very little wind drift using 2" QS's........even long range. But with fixed blade BH's........different story.

OP
PurpleDriver
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I’m not that far off track in my thoughts. Glad there are guys here who have been down this road before.

I will have to tune to the 6fletch and see what I end up with. I was hoping I could shoot them side by side and compare. I didn’t know NAP says not to use helical on QS. Maybe I’ll try some AAE 1.6” in the six fletch setup.

Fletching my own arrows is new to me but I like the flexibility to try different fletching options.

Beendare

WKR
My take; Fletching is one of those things where enough is enough .....and more isn't better.

So your truck has 4 tires...is 6 better? Would a dually be better on that Toyota Camry? Funny, sure...but thats about the same as using 6 fletch arrows.

Pardon the harsh comment......but 3 or 4 fletch is all you need.........

_______

Last edited:
Is it possible you are getting vane contact with 6 of 'em where you weren't with 3? I know they are a lower profile, but they might be making contact on something like your rest. I'm assuming you have tried several different arrows with a broadhead attached? They are all going to the same point?

OP
PurpleDriver
I only fletched up two arrows, but both hit to the same POI. I’m going to try 6 AAE 1.6” and see if it’s the helical with QS combo that’s causing problems.

I’m just amazed that 3 straight fletch are hitting with my FPs. I really thought adding spin would stabilize better for field conditions. And I like the idea of less wind drift with the lower profile. I know Ulmer ran a 6 fletch setup for a while for those reasons.

I’ve found a setup of shooting 3 high profile vanes and 6 fletch of tiny vanes both shoot the same for me. The 6 fletch is quieter forsure. Not sure which is better. Both shoot well

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
6 seems excessive. I agree retune your bow adding that much to the back of your arrow..
I shoot 4 fletch q2i fusion xeon vanes. Out to 60 yards I havent had a problem with Ironwill wides or any 1.25 wide broadhead.. I bet 6 fletchings gets expensive quick.

Zac

WKR
I tried a 6 fletch Pro Max and it sounded like a buzz saw flying through the air. I tried 3 and 4 fletch Stealths, 3 and 4 fletch Blazers and the 6 fletch Pro Max and saw no difference in flight. I did have a turn a yoke a little when I added the 4th Stealth vane.

Have you tried a different arrow and broadhead combo with the quikspins? Could be that arrow is the issue and not the fletching. I shoot all kinds of different fletching combos including 6-AAE PM 1.6 and 3-AAE Max Stealths and they fly the same for me and I hunt with both in my quiver as well. I've found while I can use proven good flying fixed heads with my 6 fletch that I have to make a perfect shot, where with the max stealth I can make a less than perfect shot but still a good shot and they hit where they are supposed to.

The other thing that could be happening is getting too much drag and a weird drag affect fletching 6-quikspin minis with a hard right helical.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I've helped a lot of guys dial in their bow for BH's.

The ones that needed what I would call excessive fletching.....[like 5" feathers or big vanes] didn't have their bow tuned.

BH tune has a big effect...the better the tune with a correct to slightly stiff arrow spine will typically require less fletching.

Lots of advantages to 4 fletch if you really need more fletching.......namely you can load an arrow without looking.

I wonder if those arrows at underspined? At 28.5'' and 70# with 100g heads and a 50g inserts I was using 300's with a much softer cam than a switchback has, and I had perfect bullets. I wonder if you've tuned your bow for weak arrows and when you add the extra weight on the ass you're stiffening them up enough to fly how they are supposed to.

I've done 6 fletch and unless you're shooting much closer or huge fixed blades it's completely overkill. Shooting slower speeds and lighter arrows (sub 500) will make those arrows start to parachute at longer distances, which will make big fixed blades act afool. I was shooting 505g arrows around 270fps (with a shorter height blazer vane in essence) and after 60 they parachuted something fierce. They made great arrows for pigs, but did not do great for longer pronghorn shots.