Sitka Turkey Vest

Anyone had their hands on Sitka’s new Turkey vest? If so, any thoughts? Does it have a carrying system for bird?

I used the Sitka Gear Equinox Vest all season last year. It does have a turkey carry system built in, but I didn’t use it on the turkeys I killed last year. I use a different strap system, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the built-in shoulder strap. It’s pretty clever actually - very similar to the built-in duck straps on their waterfowl Delta jacket.

This Vest is really well laid out in my opinion. Magnetic (silent) closures, purpose made pockets, and the form fit are all winners for me. There was one pocket that I didn’t think I could fit anything into due to the smaller size, but my headlamp fits into it perfectly, so I can’t complain. The integrated seat flips up out of the way and it’s held tight against vest when it’s being stored and it’s really comfortable when sitting. Honestly, I’ve tried more than 10 vests over the years and this one is not bulky and doesn’t snag on brush like other vests that I’ve tried.

I was lucky to have a store near me that actually had a few in stock before the season last year. I tried it on and really liked how It fit and didn’t seem bulky. I bought it on the spot and gave my current vest to a buddy that didn’t have one. I’d say that it’s priced pretty high for a turkey vest - that’s a fact. But I’ve had good luck with Sitka Gear over the last 10 years and I’m hoping I’ll get 15-20 years out of this vest. Good luck and if you can try this vest on - I think you’ll see what I’m saying that everything is cinched down tight to your torso and it feels like your not wearing a turkey vest to me.

I’d also take any pictures of pockets with calls inside or if there’s a feature you’d like to see, just let me know too. Good luck this season!

OP
B
I’d also take any pictures of pockets with calls inside or if there’s a feature you’d like to see, just let me know too. Good luck this season!
I appreciate the detailed review. That helps a ton. I’ve settled on the Sitka or the Badlands. I’ve always used the bulky older style vests and want to go with something with a little more fit and finish.

I would love a couple pictures once you get it loaded up of the front and back.

Thanks again

Do t have any experience with the vest. But, I started using this chest rig a couple years ago. I don’t see going back to any vest. They are too hot, or baggy, etc….

Not trying to sway you from the vest. However, after reading your multiple posts, I figured I’d try to show you another alternative. I was skeptical at first but I’m so happy I went this way.

The only thing I don’t like better then the vest is how far it sticks off my chest. I figured out to adjust it just a bit loose so when going downhill steep, I can pull it over to see where I’m putting my feet.

Attachments

• 8B1EBCB7-B156-4FAD-AB88-8F686204C329.jpeg
    8B1EBCB7-B156-4FAD-AB88-8F686204C329.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 82
  • EA7D1AC3-F523-435F-8384-B8A64AD3AF30.jpeg
    EA7D1AC3-F523-435F-8384-B8A64AD3AF30.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 83
I appreciate the detailed review. That helps a ton. I’ve settled on the Sitka or the Badlands. I’ve always used the bulky older style vests and want to go with something with a little more fit and finish.

I would love a couple pictures once you get it loaded up of the front and back.

Thanks again

Here’s the pocket for your pot calls. It will hold as many as four, but I keep two in there so they don’t rattle together and make noise. There’s also a section between them that will hold your mouth calls as well.

A2CDB86E-38E7-4856-B12D-BF87339783DC.jpeg

Here’s a view from the top like your looking down into the box call pocket and pocket for your pot call strikers:

0CE12D53-CC9E-4238-9EDA-F9B57C770B48.jpeg

This is the pocket that I was talking about in my first post that was small, but a headlamp fits in it perfectly:

D7B37A2F-0825-4682-B96C-601BF505DE05.jpeg

There are also several internal mesh pockets that are divided and have quiet zippers:

3AE740F3-266C-4E78-A892-884C2512C441.jpeg

3CEEC939-B96B-471E-87DD-619E9A5E0E02.jpeg

Another small, narrow pocket that I keep a knife in:

38A4C1BF-6244-4C93-A467-DE5818626EA1.jpeg

Here are the straps that I’ve used for years to carry my turkeys, but as I said above, there are integrated carry straps that come with the vest and a buckle that allows you to removed them if you don’t want to use the ones on the vest.

1BE80188-B222-41C5-89C1-D1223C44D7AA.jpeg

Here’s a picture of the entire vest from the front:

2492489B-F9AF-450D-B42F-28A73DDD4E6F.jpeg

I could take more pictures, but this pretty much sums it up. Good luck!

Wagner

FNG
Thanks for the detailed pics! I just ordered one today. I’ve been on a quest for years to find a minimalist vest and I believe I’ve found one!

Beer_Me

FNG
Wow that Sitka vest looks like a pretty slick and comfortable setup! Appreciate the photos... I'll have to check these out in person next time I'm at Cabelas. Thanks for sharing

$250 for a turkey vest :oops:

I agree with you. I even said that in my first post above.

But we buy $600 Seek Outside, Kifaru, EXO, Mystery Ranch, or Stone Glacier packs …

It‘s an expensive turkey vest. But I’d put any turkey vest out there against it and I’d chose it again every time.

DWarcher

WKR
I agree with you. I even said that in my first post above.

But we buy $600 Seek Outside, Kifaru, EXO, Mystery Ranch, or Stone Glacier packs …

It‘s an expensive turkey vest. But I’d put any turkey vest out there against it and I’d chose it again every time.
Comparing a turkey vest to a backpack is silly. My guess is most people buy that vest so they can tell people that they bought that vest.

Comparing a turkey vest to a backpack is silly. My guess is most people buy that vest so they can tell people that they bought that vest.

I never compared it to a backpack. I said we’d pay $600 for a top of the line backpack and wouldn’t hesitate doing it. Because it’s a quality piece of gear that’s purpose built for packing gear and packing meat.

Same thing with a turkey vest. It’s a purpose built vest with features that some find useful and some could probably care less about. It’s your choice.

I’m not sure why my choice in buying this vest triggered you so much. Even more so that you think I bought this vest just to brag about buying it?

Using your logic, I’d ask you why you didn’t buy an Eberlestock Vapor 5000 pack for $249 instead? I’ll bet you saw some values and features in your pack of choice that made the price difference worth it.

DWarcher

WKR
I never compared it to a backpack. I said we’d pay $600 for a top of the line backpack and wouldn’t hesitate doing it. Because it’s a quality piece of gear that’s purpose built for packing gear and packing meat.

Same thing with a turkey vest. It’s a purpose built vest with features that some find useful and some could probably care less about. It’s your choice.

I’m not sure why my choice in buying this vest triggered you so much. Even more so that you think I bought this vest just to brag about buying it?

Using your logic, I’d ask you why you didn’t buy an Eberlestock Vapor 5000 pack for $249 instead? I’ll bet you saw some values and features in your pack of choice that made the price difference worth it.
Sorry wasn't directed at you specifically and not triggered, just sharing my thoughts. Again let me reiterate, if someone wants to spend $250 on a turkey vest then they should have at it, their money and their choice.

Let's be real however. A turkey vest is designed to pack about 3 pounds of calls and gear and 15 pounds of turkey if you're lucky. I haven't used that vest but have a hard time believing I would get $200 worth of value compared to a Cabela's turkey vest. However, I would have to be crazy to not recognize the difference in value I get out of my Kifaru/EXO/SO compared to an Eberlestock Vapor 5000. Again my opinion but the comparison is apples and oranges.

Good luck this turkey season!

Wagner

FNG
Mine came Saturday. I don’t love it but I like it alot. Ideally it would have a random large pocket where the skate call holder is and replace the 2 front buckles with the conventional buckles used throughout the vest.
Glad i purchased it.

Used one last season. Great vest in my opinion. I don't hunt with it a lot because most of the time I'm in a blind bow hunting, but when I am out run and gunning, it works great.