Sitka Timberline jacket?

kodiakfly

WKR
Anyone seen the Sitka Timberline jacket yet? Thoughts? I like softshells for some applications, and it weighs less than the Jetstream, so... Pit zips?

Worn one for a few days hunting. My new favorite early season jacket. No pit zips but okay hiking up and excels in the wind.

I've wondered about it too, been looking for a windproof layer that's quieter than a rain shell. Comparing features and price with the jetstream the timberline has less pockets and no pit zips and cost $20 more. Pockets aren't necessary but for the price it seams they could give some more bells and whistles. It would be nice if sitka did a video highlighting why this is an improvement over the jetstream. Is it a better wind membrane?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

saw them in a store, they remind me of a thin rain shell without pit zips

You must be talking about the new mountain jacket, which is super light and fairly thin feeling. Easy to distinguish between the mountain jacket and the Timberline. Timberline is noticeably thicker, but not as beefy or heavy as the Jetstream, and the Timberline has a hood, the mountain jacket does not. I like how light the Mountain jacket is, but I think the Timberline is a nice compromise between the two. No way would I say the Timberline felt like a thin rain shell.

I've wondered about it too, been looking for a windproof layer that's quieter than a rain shell. Comparing features and price with the jetstream the timberline has less pockets and no pit zips and cost $20 more. Pockets aren't necessary but for the price it seams they could give some more bells and whistles. It would be nice if sitka did a video highlighting why this is an improvement over the jetstream. Is it a better wind membrane?

Biggest difference is the Timberline, and Mountain jacket, both have taped seams. The Jetstream does not and won't have because of the brushed fleece lining. So, the Timberline will be more water resistant and you won't have drafts coming through the seams. Hood fits a lot better and it's lighter. I think that's it. Guys watching weight and looking for the technical features will like it. New Timberline pants have the taped seams also.

The Sitka guys were on the Randy Newberg podcast talking about the new gear if you guys wanna give it a listen

You must be talking about the new mountain jacket, which is super light and fairly thin feeling. Easy to distinguish between the mountain jacket and the Timberline. Timberline is noticeably thicker, but not as beefy or heavy as the Jetstream, and the Timberline has a hood, the mountain jacket does not. I like how light the Mountain jacket is, but I think the Timberline is a nice compromise between the two. No way would I say the Timberline felt like a thin rain shell.

No it was a timberline jacket, to me, it was like a rain shell with a line layer of grided fleece inside. Looked like it would be a sweat box if you were hiking in it. Thats my opinion though.

Sounds like a sweat box to me too. I'm looking to replace my fleece with a wind membrane, which I had to add pit zips. The timberline would layer better amd save me 8 ounces while gaining a hood.

Not sure how I thanked my own comment, I'm not that full of myself, can't unthank it either.

Sounds like a sweat box to me too. I'm looking to replace my fleece with a wind membrane, which I had to add pit zips. The timberline would layer better amd save me 8 ounces while gaining a hood.

The Windstopper breathes WAY better than any rain gear, it's one of the advantages of the Windstopper fabric, breathability for sweat while still blocking the wind. I've worn Windstopper gear from multiple manufacturers and I've never felt like any of them were sweat boxes. And for sr80 saying it felt like a rain shell, I got nothing, because to me it doesn't feel anything like a thin rain shell.

The Windstopper breathes WAY better than any rain gear, it's one of the advantages of the Windstopper fabric, breathability for sweat while still blocking the wind. I've worn Windstopper gear from multiple manufacturers and I've never felt like any of them were sweat boxes. And for sr80 saying it felt like a rain shell, I got nothing, because to me it doesn't feel anything like a thin rain shell.

I was just saying what it felt like and reminded me of, so take it for what it is. I do not have, nor have i hiked in one so I do not know how well they breath. Nor am i knocking sitka, i have a lot of sitka. I don't see how it would fit into my kit, since if i wanted to block wind i would just wear my rain shell.

Lol, no worries. I'm always torn between buying more Sitka, or First Lite. I wear a blend of the two usually.

I had one out for about ten days at high elevations and loved it. It seems to be waterproof and breathes great. I have never had a soft shell in my system but this jacket will stay.

You better check that. Wind blocker is just goretex's oringinal WB that's been stretched and flattened with no tapped seams. Nothing more nothing less. In other words show me some scientific literature on its breathability. Great for stationary terrible for high activity

I'm not a fan because it's isn't breathable and it's the same as rain gear wear wise.

You better check that. Wind blocker is just goretex's oringinal WB that's been stretched and flattened with no tapped seams. Nothing more nothing less. In other words show me some scientific literature on its breathability. Great for stationary terrible for high activity

I'm not a fan because it's isn't breathable and it's the same as rain gear wear wise.

Texan, I thought when they stretched it, it opened up the pores more and made it more breathable? Is that not correct? I could have sworn the pores on the windstopper laminant were large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I did check that, based on ME wearing the stuff. I think it breathes better than any rain shell I've ever owned, and I've owned them from a bunch of different companies. Maybe it's a sweat box for YOU, but not for me. As for the no taped seams, Sitkas new Mountain Jacket, Timberline Jacket, and Timberline pants, all use taped seams in their construction.

Back