Sitka Stratus

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of buying the stratus set soon. Was wondering how cold this will get me to with FL kiln baselayers, Fantatic hoody, equinox midi pants, stratus vest, and the stratus set. Also, should size up?

I’ve seen other threads, but haven’t been able to get an answer with my potential setup.

Thanks!
@jcsmitty21

Lucky you. I have the same exact set up. Except I have stratus pants and obsidian Marino pants instead of the equinox. I did layer the stratus over the first lite pants.

I don’t want to call anyone a liar on here but if you guys are getting into the thirties your either a hell of a lot fatter than me or I am just a giant pussy.

I was disappointed with this set last year. 40 is probably the absolute coldest I could get to and it was miserable. This is sitting in a tree and packing the stratus out layers in. So minimal sweat or atleast as little as possible.

I added an insulated jacket and the new first light lined 308 pants this year to see if I can make this bearable. It’s a shame because I really like the durability however to say there is warmth is quite a stretch

I thought this set would change things for me but I was underwhelmed especially after everything I read.

If this don’t work this year I will try more first lite gear.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
If you run warm, you can easily do 30 something degrees in the Stratus with proper layers. In my case, after the first season in the Stratus jacket, the Celsius midi was not enough without a heavy merino layer and the fanatic hoodie. I used the Cold Weather hoodie instead of the fanatic hoodie and Celsius. That was a win for me, dropping two for one. The Fanatic heavy weight jacket is the winner below say 35 for me now and I'll still wear that Cold Weather under it for the heavier mask.

Maverick1

WKR
@jcsmitty21

Lucky you. I have the same exact set up. Except I have stratus pants and obsidian Marino pants instead of the equinox. I did layer the stratus over the first lite pants.

I don’t want to call anyone a liar on here but if you guys are getting into the thirties your either a hell of a lot fatter than me or I am just a giant pussy.

I was disappointed with this set last year. 40 is probably the absolute coldest I could get to and it was miserable. This is sitting in a tree and packing the stratus out layers in. So minimal sweat or atleast as little as possible.

I added an insulated jacket and the new first light lined 308 pants this year to see if I can make this bearable. It’s a shame because I really like the durability however to say there is warmth is quite a stretch

I thought this set would change things for me but I was underwhelmed especially after everything I read.

If this don’t work this year I will try more first lite gear.
The stratus jacket / pants / bibs are just a wind breaking layer. They have some, but really little to no insulation value on their own. To get to lower temperatures, a base layer and a really good insulating layer is needed.

SloppyJ

WKR
Thank y’all for the input! I’m new to Sitka and wanted some help on how y’all layer.

For this season, I think I’ll go with FL kiln baselayers, fanatic hoodie, fanatic vest, equinox midi pants, and stratus set.

For the colder days, I’ll use that same setup, but swap the stratus for my FL solitude set.
You'll be set with those pieces. You might not even need the solitude to be honest.

This reminds me, I need a couple of new Kiln tops.

I run cold but I take the stratus set down to the low 30s. I have the first lite furnace base layers which are elite. Having some type of mid layer like the Celsius midi or first lite source is a big help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowtie747

FNG
I’m a big stratus fan. I’d say mid to low 30’s is the cut off to where I’ll go to the fanatic series. Heavy base layer, first lite source jacket and the stratus jacket. Bibs helps to hold a little more heat and eliminate the draft around your waist. For bottoms heavy base layer and the Sitka equinox midi and you’re good to go.

I would skip Stratus and buy a Fanatic set for late season cold weather. Highly recommend all the pieces in the Fanatic line. The Fanatic Hoody and Vest plus some base layers can help bridge the gap from early season to the rut/late season when you switch to Fanatic Jacket/Bids. Stratus is nice but I've found you end up having to add too many layers to stay warm during the rut/late season. I know some guys run the Stratus set with a Fanatic vest as an additional layer but I've found this too is a little on the bulky side for archery, but if that works for you seems like a good option too. The Fanatic Jacket plus Bibs is super comfortable and keeps you warm and not too restrictive with modest base layers.

I'm in the northeast and hunt early archery season, then the rut/late season. Here's what I run:

Early Season Archery (late September)
Sitka Core LW Hoody
Sitka Equinox Guard Pants
Sitka Fanatic Hoody
Crispi Altitude Boots or Aigle rubber boots
Darn Tough Socks
SG Mirka Gloves
No base layers

Mid-Season (October)
All of the above plus:
Sitka Fanatic Vest
Duckworth merino base layers

Rut/Late Season (mid-November through end of year + January)
Fanatic Jacket
Fanatic Hoody
Fanatic Bibs
Woolpower/Voormi/Duckworth merino baselayers
Darn Tough Socks
Schnee's Extreme Pac Boots 10"
SG Mirka Gloves

Good luck!

Cgeb

WKR
I have several Sitka sets of clothes. For cold weather always wear a heavy base layer and stratus bibs and stratus jacket. I have a fanatic vest I wear over the stratus jacket if it gets really cold. I'm usually pretty comfortable.

Pramo

WKR
I had the stratus bibs for about 5 years now. They are great for stand hunting I can layer up when it’s real cold and don’t get waist band drafts feel all bunched up with clothing while sitting down

I hunt in northwest florida, practically south Alabama. When it gets around low 30s... I gotta wear base layers, stratus, and then a big redhead insulated coveralls over everything.

The "windproof" thing is definitely not true because I can feel that wind without those coveralls. I was definitely expecting some kind of magic from this sitka stuff because of how expensive it was, but it just seemed like normal clothes to me.

I feel trapped that like I have to use it because of how much I spent on it, and also feel embarrassed walking around in it at the game check stations and stuff because of how much it costs lol.

I think part of their marketing strategy is that most people don't get to try it on or anything first and then people will try to defend their purchase because they don't want to look foolish after spending so much on a regular pair of pants.

I would almost consider my stratus jacket to just be a wind shield. My traverse hoodie feels warmer and is definitely quieter which is another thing I don’t love about the stratus is that it’s kinda noisy for a whitetail specific piece of clothing.

OP I’m curious why you’re looking at doing the stratus with layers when you already have the first lite solitude? The solitude, if you have the 2.0 wind proof version, pretty much is the stratus with layers all in one. If you have the original solitude then I could see how wind might be a problem.

Dbolick

FNG
For me it wouldn’t be enough, it’s a great set and a good friend of mine has it and love it. But I get cold very easily and I need thicker stuff