Sitka Mountain Jacket in a solid?!? Layering advice!!

I like the idea of the Sitka Mountain Jacket. But I want something in a solid.

Anyone have a jacket that is almost identical to the SMJ, but a solid color? Suggestions?

Edit: I’m looking to get an all encompassing layering set up for either backpacking or car camping for any weather conditions.

Currently own:
Merino LT 1/2 zip base layer
Core Heavyweight Hoodie
Jetstream vest **
RAB Electron Pro Puffy.
Cloudburst rain jacket

**The Jetstream vest just doesn’t do it for me. I want a little more versatility/warmth. I’m thinking of selling it and getting something like the Mountain Jacket( but solid). My thoughts are I wanted to have a little extra warmth,weather protection, while still being light. I don’t want something like the Jetstream jacket (awesome but too much).

I’d love some discussion!

Last edited:

Superdoo

WKR
Try searching for a wind shell. That sounds like what you’re looking for.
I live in ND so a light wind day is anything under 15 mph. I looked at the Mountain versus the Jetstream.
I went with the Jetstream because neither price is really cut to add insulation under it.
I figured if it’s cool enough that I want to cut the wind, it’s cold enough to add the modest amount of insulation that the Jetstream provides.

OP
RangerRick
I’d purchase the Mountain Jacket if it came in a solid color. It’s light weight, windproof, has a DWR, isn’t loud, super packable, adds some added warm and doesn’t add much bulk.

My only gripe is I want a solid color and no hood.

Just not sure who makes something like that.

tracker12

WKR
I love my Jet Stream. The mountain is pretty light for my liking. I use the Jet stream vest as part of my layering system.

Mountain jacket with a hood would be money. If they came in solids I would own two. There was a rumor they were going to put a hood on it a couple of years back but I haven’t heard anything since.

I use the first lite ridgline pullover for a wind stop. It comes in solids, and its as light and packable as a jacket can be. I wear it almost all year long over top my base layer.

Wapiti151

WKR
If it were me, I’d get the Jetstream jacket in the solid opposed to something like the MJ. iMO you get a lot more versatility for your money. I have both, the MJ comes with me for cool, not cold hunts…90% the time though the JS wins out. That thing is bomb proof. You aren’t going to want to hike in either of them

Sadler

WKR
Mountain jacket with a hood would be money. If they came in solids I would own two. There was a rumor they were going to put a hood on it a couple of years back but I haven’t heard anything since.
I’m hoping that’s available this year. Hooded mountain jacket in a solid color would be awesome!

To the OP, I’d hold off a few months to see what they offer this year. But if you don’t want to wait, maybe the dew point? It’s lighter and comes in solids.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Jet Stream but it does have a hood. Very versatile coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I recently ordered a FL corrugate guide jacket. It still hasn’t come in but from after some thought I realized it may be close to the Sitka mountain jacket. Can anyone with experience with both say what’s the realistic differences? Just looking on paper, I can’t tell why I’d pick one over the other for a trip.

Superdoo

WKR
I recently ordered a FL corrugate guide jacket. It still hasn’t come in but from after some thought I realized it may be close to the Sitka mountain jacket. Can anyone with experience with both say what’s the realistic differences? Just looking on paper, I can’t tell why I’d pick one over the other for a trip.
I asked about the FL Corrugate’s ability to block the wind a while back. I was told it doesn’t do a great job at that. I have the pants and and would agree with what I was told.
Take the above with a measurable amount of salt though. My application for wind stopping jacket is when it’s blowing 25 mph and up and temps in the teens to single digits.
Or as we call those conditions above in North Dakota “Tuesday”.