Sitka kitchen knife

OP
D

Dustin B.

FNG
We use the shit out of the victorinox pearing knives that you can buy a 4 pack of for like $20 on Amazon.
I'm a big victorinox fan myself! Don't leave the house without my swiss army knife.

Victorinox and stop wasting your money.

As (almost) always i default to the bush/lodge cooks in east Africa who sharpen their knives on rocks and produce better meals out of teeny kitchens than most 5-star restaurants.

Meet Jolam, who made the finest steak dinner (Boran cattle from the laikipia plateau) that I have ever had. He is a magician in the kitchen, and a really wonderful guy.

View attachment 555116

View attachment 555117
I own a dozen or so victorinox knives. Their chief knives are top notch.

I've been using nothing but Misen for 3 years & you'll never convince me there's anything better (and I've used some incredibly high dollar kitchen knives)
Yea man, I don’t have a ton of money tied up in cutlery but had pieced together what I thought was a nice set (mainly wusthoff with some others mixed in). If I would’ve known about misen then I’d likely only have that and saved a bunch of money. At the time i bought mine, I think they only had a chef and santoku but looks like they’ve added to their offering in the last year or so. Awesome knives for sure and priced nicely for what you get

robtattoo

WKR
Yea man, I don’t have a ton of money tied up in cutlery but had pieced together what I thought was a nice set (mainly wusthoff with some others mixed in). If I would’ve known about misen then I’d likely only have that and saved a bunch of money. At the time i bought mine, I think they only had a chef and santoku but looks like they’ve added to their offering in the last year or so. Awesome knives for sure and priced nicely for what you get
The Standard chef's knife & utility knife cover 90% of my kitchen needs. I use a Kessaku paring knife to complete the set. And i only have that because it fits my hand perfectly for delicate work. I picked it up in the store & fell in love with it.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Of course people will buy it. You could slap a Sitka sticker on a pile of elk shit and someone would buy it.

There is a market for nice knives. 399 may or may not be bad depending on design and specs. I personally won't be buying it. There's other custom/semi custom knife makers I'd rather support.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Rarely spend money on a knife, get plenty of the throw aways from work that still have plenty of life left. Victorinox are great, think you can get them cheap.View attachment 555275
Dang, my dad used to get very similar knives from a neighbor who was a butcher. I guess they couldn't use them after they were sharpened too many times but they were great. I think he bought them for $1 if I recall.

dtrkyman

WKR
I paid way less for two, a Global sushi knife(on closeout cheap), wicked sharp and really nice, also have a full set of Wusthof, the set is 20 years old and still as good as new, I have a bit of trouble sharpening the chef knife but I suck at sharpening anyway!

Chuckybmd

WKR
I did take a serious look at it. I don’t like the DLC coating, but I love magnacut steel. It looks like a solid knife. Nice styling. Not super interested in the sheath per se.

Clearly expensive.

But alas, like many others I have a Victorinox Fibrox chef knife that was inexpensive and really works perfectly. It’s hard to plate replace something that works so well.