Sitka Kelvin Hyperdown

Kostrize

WKR
Listened to John Barklow talk about this new set on a podcast. The description says it is the warmest coat that Sitka has made.

It uses Allied Hyperdown which he described as aiding the drying process of the down clusters. Said it performed very well in rearming drills. This down treatment is apparently more effective than regular DWR coated down like Hyperdry which resists saturation. He actually said something about it being infused with gold molecules.

I remember the SG rewarming drill used Hyperdry DWR down so it must be possible to rewarm if the down isn’t completely saturated.

Thought this was an interesting product and funny that the retailers are ahead of the Sitka marketing team

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
Fully expected to see a price starting with 8 or 9 as a a 1 up to Kuiu. They did a good job selling it because $450 seemed like a bargain to me 🤣

sr80

WKR
I tried this jacket on back in the spring, the rep didn't have much info on it unfortunately, or maybe he didn't want to spill the beans too much on it. It was a reallllllly nice and comfortable jacket. I wear a size large in jackets and the size large in this jacket fit perfect with room for multiple layers underneath, but didnt feel massive on me like their old kelvin down WS.
He did mention they were going to be using the same insulation in their sleeping bags as well.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Well it doesn't look like fill weight is listed anywhere, nor is there any mention of this new down being used as a part of the Primaloft package - hopefully Sitka puts that out there with official release. Happy to see the parka cut, hopefully not as noisy and bulky as the previous WS product, and starting with having a solid vs all camo is a nice touch.

I suspect the price is somewhat reasonable since they are using 800 FP vs 850 or "850+" like kuiu and SG products.

sr80

WKR
Well it doesn't look like fill weight is listed anywhere, nor is there any mention of this new down being used as a part of the Primaloft package - hopefully Sitka puts that out there with official release. Happy to see the parka cut, hopefully not as noisy and bulky as the previous WS product, and starting with having a solid vs all camo is a nice touch.

I suspect the price is somewhat reasonable since they are using 800 FP vs 850 or "850+" like kuiu and SG products.
It was quieter and less bulky that the previous WS puffy. Didnt feel as durable obviously. It was cut a bit longer in the torso as well, that was a major gripe for me with the WS jacket, it fit wide and shorter on me, and the hood was really weird i thought. Not sure if this hyperdown is in my budget this year but my intial impression from trying it on was that it checked a lot of boxes for me.

2531usmc

WKR
Maybe I’m missing the boat here, but I don’t see this on the Sitka website.

Could it be that it’s on vendor websites but not the Sitka site

Blue_dog

FNG
Interesting the vendors have this on sale before it’s launched by Sitka. I picked up the hyper down jacket from gearfool and the intercept pants. I guess Sitka is worried they over ordered?

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It’s weird to me that the HyperDown sleeping bag has the Allied Down Feather, yet the jacket and pant have the blend still…. Maybe it’ll get sorted out with the official drop?

Be interested to see this head to head real world with the SG Grumman. Bit sick of how shiny the Grumman is personally.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It’s weird to me that the HyperDown sleeping bag has the Allied Down Feather, yet the jacket and pant have the blend still…. Maybe it’ll get sorted out with the official drop?
Black Ovis put a video out on it, and their product description still shows primaloft gold down blend in 800 fill power rating. The video (which is pretty hard to watch) confirms the same fill. Where that bag is called out with the 900 FP allied product. I seriously don’t get it, especially using the same product name.