Sitka Gear HyperDown Sleeping Bag review.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka has launched their warmest and lightest sleeping bag with the HyperDown bag. It is comfort rated at 15 degrees, uses 900 fill power Allied Down with a treatment that is extremely water resistant, and tips the scale at 2 pounds. Very impressive specs!

Expect a full written review soon as I've had the good fortune to use this bag last fall/winter to see what it's limitations are and where it shines. In the mean time ask questions and go check out the full specs here: Sitka HyperDown Sleeping Bag

600401-DLI_1_snf1__91416.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7475.jpg

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the bag stuffed in an 8 liter Granite Gear compression sack with a 1 liter Nalgene for scale.

stuffed.jpg

And here it is fully compressed into a what I'm guessing is around a 3 liter ball of down.

compressed.jpg

Excited to check these out and see your review. Debating on this or the peax bag as I need one for this season. How does the shell fabric feel? Is it water resistant? Really love our other bags that have the Pertex fabric to resist water/condensation.

Sitka has launched their warmest and lightest sleeping bag with the HyperDown bag. It is comfort rated at 15 degrees, uses 900 fill power Allied Down with a treatment that is extremely water resistant, and tips the scale at 2 pounds. Very impressive specs!

Expect a full written review soon as I've had the good fortune to use this bag last fall/winter to see what it's limitations are and where it shines. In the mean time ask questions and go check out the full specs here: Sitka HyperDown Sleeping Bag

View attachment 731833
View attachment 731835

-Can you comment on the zipper? Is it a difficult zipper that snags or is it pretty smooth. I have a zipper on a feathered friends bag I really like, most others have been challenging.

-Any measured dimensions when compressed? Any idea and dimensions in the shoulder area and footbox. I didn't see dimensions on the website but am curious to know how "tight" this bag would fit.

-What is it like having a zipper at chin/neck level while sleeping? I'm trying to decide if that would poke into the neck/face and be annoying or if I wouldn't notice it.

Thanks

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
-Can you comment on the zipper? Is it a difficult zipper that snags or is it pretty smooth. I have a zipper on a feathered friends bag I really like, most others have been challenging.

-Any measured dimensions when compressed? Any idea and dimensions in the shoulder area and footbox. I didn't see dimensions on the website but am curious to know how "tight" this bag would fit.

-What is it like having a zipper at chin/neck level while sleeping? I'm trying to decide if that would poke into the neck/face and be annoying or if I wouldn't notice it.

Thanks
Good questions.

The zipper functions well as there is stiffening tape added to the interior baffle to reduce snags. Its not as robust or stiff as what is in a Western Mountaineering bag (I don't have any experience with Feathered Friends) but is very easy to operate and has not snagged in use thus far.

Compressed in the picture above, the dimensions are 9"x9". The compression bag is the limiting factor as the straps are bottomed out. The bag could compress a few more inches in different sack.

The shoulder area is 30" in width and the footbox is 16". For me it is roomy but I am not a large person (5'7" & 175 lbs.)

The zipper at chin level isn't an issue for me. Fully zipped it is housed in a small flap and covered by the interior baffle so it will never touch skin or poke into your face. Below is a pic showing it fully zipped and housed. (the lime green is a stuff sack used for contrast in the photo)

zipper.jpg

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excited to check these out and see your review. Debating on this or the peax bag as I need one for this season. How does the shell fabric feel? Is it water resistant? Really love our other bags that have the Pertex fabric to resist water/condensation.
The shell fabric is a tight weave and very smooth. I've not tested it for water resistance but in use last fall it didn't wet out when brushed against the condensation in the single wall shelters I used. I'll do a little test for the review to see how well it holds up to light amounts of water.

Excited for your review and thoughts Josh. I used the Sitka aerolite bag last year until temps required the chilkoot 15. The aerolite was fantastic, arm holes and center zip with synthetic for drying stuff out is awful hard to beat. I think the colder it gets the more beneficial arm holes and center zip will be.

Would be great if Rokslide could get a PEAX in your hands too for comparison this season on two very similar rated and featured bags.

I’m not looking to leave the chilkoot 15 anytime soon but when I do or when I feel like I need the features it will be this Sitka or PEAX.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excited for your review and thoughts Josh. I used the Sitka aerolite bag last year until temps required the chilkoot 15. The aerolite was fantastic, arm holes and center zip with synthetic for drying stuff out is awful hard to beat. I think the colder it gets the more beneficial arm holes and center zip will be.

Would be great if Rokslide could get a PEAX in your hands too for comparison this season on two very similar rated and featured bags.

I’m not looking to leave the chilkoot 15 anytime soon but when I do or when I feel like I need the features it will be this Sitka or PEAX.
I've had the chance to play around with the Peax bag somewhat before the launch but have not had both in my hands at the same time. The good news is @mtwarden should have the new Sitka bag to compare to the Peax bag in his possession. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say, although my choice between the two has been decided.

Brent9477

FNG
I’ve got the Sitka ordered . Gonna take it to the NWT end of Aug a try out . I like the concept an materials used . Be interesting to see how it performs compared to my WM / UgT quilts even though different designs

I own both the jacket and pants but very reluctant to swap out my Badger for the sleeping bag still