sitka gear 90% pant or other?

I'm not so sure if i need to get new hunt pants for a nov rifle hunt. I used to use long underwear and wool pants. The pants weren't at all fitted (for the hiking) or water resistant for those snowy or just frozen ground .. I ended up using a small pad to sit on . I am looking at the sitka 90% and first lite wool underwear. anyone have experience with them. BTW i am xl and tall. sometimes this is an issue on fit.
just found westcomb pants. looking into that now..

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I live in north Idaho and the 90% pants are not enough in November for me. I have had luck with the Russell L4 bibs(I think that's what there called) I did buy some guide pants which seem to be heavy enough for November with some good merino underneath.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
The 90% will be very comfortable, but if the temps drop I think you will need layers under them as well. I would also look at the timberline pants since they have a waterproof seat and knees if you are hunting in the snow and sitting and crawling. For colder temps I think both pants will need to be combined with a under layer.

Matt

OP
wannahuntmo
its middle colorado Nov 3-12. tough to gauge. maybe 20 to 60. i have run into snow storms before but on average cold and sunny in morn to warmer in afternoons.

Lawnboi

WKR
I would also look at the KUIU guide pants. They are a little thicker than the 90%. More of a soft shell type material.

What i would get is sitka timberline pants. I saw them in a store a while ago and was really impressed. They have waterproof knees and seat which would be great for snowy condtions when your butt and knees almost always get wet. The material on these is right in between the 90% and Mountain pant

I would get either one of the above options over the 90% pant. I own the guide pants and plan on using them this winter, but after seeing the timberlines if i were to do it again id have a hard time choosing.

Layering underneath will be key with both of these.

I have owned russel l4 bibs as well (there not really bibs, but the fabric goes up past your kidneys) And i really liked them. My guide pants weigh less than half as much though.

OP
wannahuntmo
the timberline sounds like a great idea. any ideas on getting a pair that wont break the bank? i need to get to a store that sells these pants. i'd love to feel how they fit. Maybe off to reno. i think cabellas or the other big store(cant think of it right now.Sparks) carries sitka.

Lawnboi

WKR
The pair I looked at was at cabelas on sale for 150. Kills me they wernt in my size. if your Leo, military, ems or a te!cherry you can get 40% off sitka

dobby

FNG
I have been on the fence between the timberlines and the guide pants for a late November deer hunt this year i love my 90% pants but want something i little warmer

I have no preference between Sitka and Kuiu i own a ton of both and have had great luck I need to make a decision soon especially if i go with the guide pants so I can get them in time

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Slap a set of Kelvin pants on under your 90%/Mountain/Timberline pants. You will not be cold!

OP
wannahuntmo
well, i found the timberliine pants. they are all that. I did find my size 38T. the 38T fit but was tight in the legs. I dont have overly buff legs. So i tried on the 40R. leg fit was perfect but i need to eat a few more donuts to fit in the mid section. Unfortunatly, they didn't have a 40T. Now, i just have to find some discounted somewhere. and then see if my motherinlaw can sew the button back just a bit(to 39"). Let me know if anyone sees any in the $175 range.
thanks for the ideas.

OP
wannahuntmo
Just happend to be in the neighborhood of kuiu. Stopped by their storefront and tried everything on that I was interested in. the marino base layer is very soft and fit quite well. Back to the pants.... I tried on the attack pants and the guide pants. The reps I talk to were very knowledgeable and helpful. I ended up telling him exactly the conditions I thought I was going to face. He though guide pants were going to be too warm for the conditions. The attack pants seem so versatile and comfortable. with layering they will work fine. They are also water resistant. I also feel like I got good value a s I bought them off the outlet store. Shipped to my door$133. let me know if you have any questions about my experience.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, i found the timberliine pants. they are all that. I did find my size 38T. the 38T fit but was tight in the legs. I dont have overly buff legs. So i tried on the 40R. leg fit was perfect but i need to eat a few more donuts to fit in the mid section. Unfortunatly, they didn't have a 40T. Now, i just have to find some discounted somewhere. and then see if my motherinlaw can sew the button back just a bit(to 39"). Let me know if anyone sees any in the $175 range.
thanks for the ideas.

Great pant, I'm very happy with mine.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
90s alone were perfect during last years hot ass September. Normally some layering would be needed in the morning.

Ascents are cut like skinny emo jeans but a little lighter than 90%.