Sitka Clothing for Southern Illinois

I am planning on going deer hunting in Southern Illinois next year during late October/November. I am currently looking at purchasing either the Stratus Jacket and the Fanatic Vest, or the Fanatic Jacket. I am not totally sure what the weather might be like during late October/November so that is why I am unsure what I should buy. I am leaning more towards the Stratus Jacket and Fanatic vest because of the versatility. Will I be warm enough with that setup, along with some good base layers? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not familiar with the pieces you mentioned but live near southern IL. It can be 70*+ or 0* with wind and humidity that time of year. Sitting in a tree trying to tough it out and be still when freezing your butt off is miserable. I’d bring a cold weather system that’s warmer than you think you need and the rest just warm weather gear. Also if it’s cold the stick on body warmers over your kidneys help a ton. Good thing about hunting in the Midwest is you rarely have to carry your gear very far so bringing extra isn’t a bad thing. Bring really warm boots, metal stands will steal heat from your feet in a matter of minutes and you’ll be off stand just about the time hunting starts getting good. I learned all this the hard way when I moved here.

Thank you very much for responding. I looked up historical temperatures for southern Illinois and as you said they are all over the place for late October/November. Just need to figure out what will work best with the stratus jacket and finatic vest vs the fanatic jacket.

I hunt Southern Illinois as well and like mentioned above the temps can swing wildly. My clothing set up for the cold is a Sitka Celcius jacket and Fanatic Vest. Typically wear Cabelas ECWCS baselayers and light pants walking in and when i get to my tree slip on Predator ambush bibs and either Celcius jacket, Fanatic Vest, or both depending on temps. Super warm, super quiet, and adaptable.

I've think I have decided on the fanatic jacket. I am worried about the wind and it getting extremely cold while in Illinois. From all that I have read, I can wear the fanatic jacket from 45 degrees down to 0(or lower). I have a few other articles of clothing that I can wear if it is warmer than 45 degrees.

Where at/what county in Southern Illinois? Public? Worst case I can probably recommend somewhere decent to eat.

I live in Southern Illinois, Harrisburg, and I've owned the Fanatic Jacket for 5 years or so. I've hunted in some pretty miserable conditions and I've only been uncomfortable in the fanatic once. My word of caution, no matter the temp, do not wear it walking out to the stand/blind. You will get hot fast, and sweat, and if it's cold things start to suck in a hurry. At least they did for me. What I have found to work great is carabiner it to my back pack and put it on once I've got to the stand/blind and cooled off. Throw a hand warmer pack in the front pocket and you're good to go. When I add my coldfront bibs and mickey mouse boots and I'm ready to sit all day in the coldest temps.

As mentioned, weather is unpredictable. The first year I had the fanatic we got a 12" snow second gun season. If you're coming end of October early November for Archery, the fanatic might be overkill. We might get the odd cold day, but typically I'm hunting with a fleece pull-over that time of year.

I’m planning on hunting around Carmi on private land. I’ve got some other hunting clothing that could work if it’s warmer. I just don’t have anything that would be good if it gets below 40 degrees. Thanks for the information and I will just have to be ready for anything.

I am planning on going deer hunting in Southern Illinois next year during late October/November. I am currently looking at purchasing either the Stratus Jacket and the Fanatic Vest, or the Fanatic Jacket. I am not totally sure what the weather might be like during late October/November so that is why I am unsure what I should buy. I am leaning more towards the Stratus Jacket and Fanatic vest because of the versatility. Will I be warm enough with that setup, along with some good base layers? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

for colder temps is hard to beat the fanatic set

what we recommend to guys for warmer weather is the lightweight crew or hoodie and the equninox and as it cools transfer to the fanatic hoodie over the lightweight as it chills add the fanatic jacket and fanatic bibs

if you need more help feel free to pm us and we can help

we do run specials from time to time

Back