Sitka blacktail meat vs moose

Dejhavu

FNG
I think it all depends on what the deer is eating. A corn fed white tail probably tastes much different than one living in the desert in texas. In oregon a Willamette valley blacktail tastes much different than one living in the pine forest.

If they are taken in the same area, I doubt they would taste different though.

z987k

WKR
Dall sheep is incredible. Best wild game meat I've had.
Muskox is also really good.
Next is Moose
Then Bison
Then Blacktail
Then a fall blackbear
Then Elk
Then a spring blackbear

And if the world has come to an end and there's no food, comes Caribou.

I've yet to have wild goat, seems some people like it and some don't.

Dall sheep is incredible. Best wild game meat I've had.
Muskox is also really good.
Next is Moose
Then Bison
Then Blacktail
Then a fall blackbear
Then Elk
Then a spring blackbear

And if the world has come to an end and there's no food, comes Caribou.

I've yet to have wild goat, seems some people like it and some don't.
My goat was good. It also cartwheeled 500 feet down the mountain. Maybe got some tenderizing.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I really feel like the odd man out here. I shot a spike buck and what I'd guess was a 2 year old sitka blacktail last year on my first trip and it has to be the gamiest meat I've ever had. I'd almost consider it table scraps compared to my newfoundland moose. We eat a ton of PA venison both from farm land and big woods deer and I wouldn't rank the bt remotely close. Both BT were harvested first week of November.

NoBadP17

FNG
In my opinion none of the deer meat gets to moose quality. In order of best deer to my tongue on multiple samples…

Sitka Blacktail
Coues Deer
Coastal Blacktail
Northern Whitetail
Mule Deer Hybrids
Mule Deer

Oddly enough the "coastal" vs. "other" blacktail (inland, B-Zone, Sierra, foothill, whatever you want to refer to it as) def makes a difference. IDK if its the moisture content on the coast as opposed to interior, but the buck I shot in 2020 (w/in eyesight of the ocean) had about two inches of fat over his whole body, much thicker in some spots. To say he was tasty was putting it lightly

z987k

WKR
Oddly enough the "coastal" vs. "other" blacktail (inland, B-Zone, Sierra, foothill, whatever you want to refer to it as) def makes a difference. IDK if its the moisture content on the coast as opposed to interior, but the buck I shot in 2020 (w/in eyesight of the ocean) had about two inches of fat over his whole body, much thicker in some spots. To say he was tasty was putting it lightly
Diet makes a big difference in how mild they are as well.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
please try a caribou taken in august i do like game meat and the best so far was an august caribou meat and i do like alaskan small deer.

Big fan of Sitka blacktail meat. I take most of my deer early in the season (August-September) when they're still pretty fat after a summer of lounging in the alpine. The meat is rich and tastes great, though I know a few people who don't like the texture of the fat. It's a little waxy.
I've only eaten moose a handful of times and have yet to hunt them. I loved it too, but since I've sampled so few animals I don't think I can give a universal assessment.

Sitka blacktail deer meat is generally lean but flavorful. While it may not have as much fat as moose, the fat on moose is often considered tasty, unlike the inedible tallow on some whitetail deer. Each type of game has its unique taste and fat content, with moose being closer to beef but with distinct flavors.
Actually, I believe moose is the leanest red meat there is. I've never compared it to BT, but it literally has half the fat content of WT. From a quick google search.

Moose meat contains less than one gram of total fat per 100-gram serving, making it one of the leanest proteins available. This healthy alternative also contains less than . 5 grams of saturated fat and is considered one of the best choices for individuals with cholesterol issues.

Thegman

WKR
Have been wondering how Sitka blacktail compares to moose? Or even dall sheep for that matter. Dall sheep is by far the best meat I’ve had followed by moose closely. I’ve heard that blacktail is excellent. Do blacktail usually have much fat or are they very lean? Is the fat good flavor or like the inedible tallow on a whitetail deer. The fat I’ve had on moose steak has been excellent flavor adding along the lines of beef only better IMO. Thank you
IMO, there's nothing better than Sitka BT. My moose doesn't get used much once the freezer has SBT.

They're usually fat up into the rut, not much after. I leave all the fat on the meat like the picture of the backstrap above, and use fat stuff first.

I'm not big on super lean meat, compared to fatty game meat, and think people make way to much of an issue over fat. I eat -lots- of fat from deer, bear, etc. When my cholesterol is checked it's always really good. I think my doctor described it as something like "freakishly good" last year.