Sitka Ambient

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve had the kenai. Original and updated ultra.

From my use this year, the Sitka ambient is on another level as far as versatility and breathability. It isn’t as thick (in the hoody version) because it isn’t trying to be a puffy replacement, but rather a mid layer fleece. The temperature range it works across and static warmth are almost shocking.

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t used the kenai so can’t compare. But as far as specs go its the same piece as Patagonia’s nano air which has the same cfm rating as the ambient. Id assume they’re similar. Either way the ambient jacket has been great. Wayyy warmer than I expected

gbromley

FNG
Stone glacier has an active insulation hoody called the Cirque that has pit zips. I used a layer from Mountain Hardware this weekend overtop of my Sitka Core Lightweight. It's called the airmesh and is basically the Proton FL mentioned above but without the face fabric. It's incredibly breathable. Fit can be a bit wonky, so try it on somewhere if you can.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Anyone have any other brand’s “active insulation” jackets that are similar to the ambient?

I have the Ambient jacket and this jacket. I use the OR jacket more because of the hood. These jacket are very close in all other aspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider

I have the Ambient jacket and this jacket. I use the OR jacket more because of the hood. These jacket are very close in all other aspects.

Does the OR have a more durable shell? And how’s it breath compared to the ambient jacket?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Does the OR have a more durable shell? And how’s it breath compared to the ambient jacket?

I think the OR breathes better and it's more durable. But I think if the Sitka had a hood it would be warmer.. hard to say.

But if I had to pick a second layer after mid October where I hunt it would be the Kenai, pit zips for the win. I wish the Kenai was a bit more durable.

Last edited:

josiahv

FNG
Yeah I have compared the two, the Atom LT is not remotely as breathable as the Ambient. It only has breathable stretch fleece panel on the side of the torso - the rest of the jacket is a standard short-staple synthetic fill. The Proton FL is the closest competitor from Arc'Teryx using the faceless Octa insulation (very much like PolarTec Alpha Direct). And the Proton LT splits the difference in breathability.

I'd say the Proton FL is closer to the Ambient hoody in terms of warmth and breathability. It's the least warm (most breathable) of the three Arc'Teryx pieces. It's not as warm as the Ambient jacket tho.

The Atom LT used to be the gold standard in the Active Insulation market - before Active Insulation was really a thing - until the Patagonia Nano Air came out (~2016 I think) but now there are much more breathable pieces and the Atom LT is mostly my around-town jacket.

IMO, the Proton LT is the goldilocks of the three - it's warmest and is adequetely breathable. The Proton FL is bar far the most breathable but least warm. Since I own all three though, my preferred set up is the Proton FL with a Patagonia Houdini over the top to cut the wind. Very versatile system
Sorry to drag you back into the thread veganhunter, but how's the fit between the proton FL and ambient?

I found the Proton FL to be a slimmer, more athletic fit than the Ambient. I'm 6'2" 195 and nearly all of my Arc'Teryx stuff is Large but I'm somewhere between an L and an XL on the Proton. I love how my Proton fits with just a lightweight short sleeve base layer but it's a bit snug with a long sleeve, mid-weight base layer.

Whereas the LT Ambient seems to be more of a "regular" fit compared to the Arc'Teryx. It's a bit looser across the chest/shoulders. But the Proton FL is still one of my favorite pieces (so it the Proton LT for that matter)

josiahv

FNG
I found the Proton FL to be a slimmer, more athletic fit than the Ambient. I'm 6'2" 195 and nearly all of my Arc'Teryx stuff is Large but I'm somewhere between an L and an XL on the Proton. I love how my Proton fits with just a lightweight short sleeve base layer but it's a bit snug with a long sleeve, mid-weight base layer.

Whereas the LT Ambient seems to be more of a "regular" fit compared to the Arc'Teryx. It's a bit looser across the chest/shoulders. But the Proton FL is still one of my favorite pieces (so it the Proton LT for that matter)
This is awesome. Thank you for the reply!

If you could choose only one of the three which would it be?

Just to be clear the Ambient is different than all the others. All the others have a liner fabric on the inside. The Ambient does not and that alone will lend it to being much more breathable.

The Proton FL (not to be confused with the Proton LT) does not have any sort of interior face fabric. You can see it pretty clearly on the photos on their website.

Of all three, I like the Proton LT the most. But it’s more similar to the Kuiu Kenai or Patagonia Nano Air. Warmer but less breathable.

Between the Ambient and the Proton FL, I’m giving the Arcteryx piece the win. The ambient jacket is too warm, IMO, and doesn’t have a hood. The ambient hoody has the loft I want and a hood, but no full zip. So the Arcteryx is Goldilocks - full zip, hooded, appropriate loft.

Last edited:

j33

WKR
First experience using my Sitka Kelvin active and man a gear piece, I’m sold on Active Insulation. Dries so damn quick and I’ve never stayed so warm in cold conditions.

Heard rumblings on a podcast of some hunters/guides testing not running puffy jackets a hammer in warm conditions… After swapping to the Ambient has anyone started using a lighter puffy? I probably could have last week on some day hunts but curious about others.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
The Proton FL (not to be confused with the Proton LT) does not have any sort of interior face fabric. You can see it pretty clearly on the photos on their website.

Of all three, I like the Proton LT the most. But it’s more similar to the Kuiu Kenai or Patagonia Nano Air. Warmer but less breathable.

Between the Ambient and the Proton FL, I’m giving the Arcteryx piece the win. The ambient jacket is too warm, IMO, and doesn’t have a hood. The ambient hoody has the loft I want and a hood, but no full zip. So the Arcteryx is Goldilocks - full zip, hooded, appropriate loft.

If you can still find one the Sitka Arrowhead MDWi hoody, it has a full zip, pockets, and a hood and is about the same insulation value as the sitka ambient hoody, I wore both last week extensively and that full zip and pockets on the MDWi is absolutely awesome. sitka needs to adopt that style into their ambient line...

OP
TOLeary

TOLeary

Lil-Rokslider
First experience using my Sitka Kelvin active and man a gear piece, I’m sold on Active Insulation. Dries so damn quick and I’ve never stayed so warm in cold conditions.

Heard rumblings on a podcast of some hunters/guides testing not running puffy jackets a hammer in warm conditions… After swapping to the Ambient has anyone started using a lighter puffy? I probably could have last week on some day hunts but curious about others.
Throwing a soft shell over the ambient jacket has acted like a light puffy for me when sitting. I just hiked in 8-30 degrees and used just the ambient jacket at the high end of that and added jet stream to the low end. Was very warm with both and never put my puffy on at camp. The ambient JACKET is way warmer than I was expecting

Reactions: j33

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Pockets, full zipper, more insulation - all of that sounds good for the heavier version.

But they need to maintain a piece like the hoody “as is” to me - it continues to amaze me as a grid fleece replacement. Lighter, warmer, just more better all around. I like where that one sits weight wise.

OP I did similar yesterday - ambient under M7 Stone Glacier late season shell, worked quite well.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pockets, full zipper, more insulation - all of that sounds good for the heavier version.

But they need to maintain a piece like the hoody “as is” to me - it continues to amaze me as a grid fleece replacement. Lighter, warmer, just more better all around. I like where that one sits weight wise.
^ Agree 1000%

jd1006

WKR
I have the Kelvin Active Hoody; is it worth an upgrade to the Ambient? I really like the kangaroo pocket and the sleeves being hacked off.

I have the Kelvin Active Hoody; is it worth an upgrade to the Ambient? I really like the kangaroo pocket and the sleeves being hacked off.
if you like the short sleeves and pocket than don't upgrade. I bet most wouldn't know the difference in performance between kelvin active hoody and the ambient hoody.